Trunk growth

Trebor

Sapling
Reaction score
Hello, if I'm trying to encourage trunk growth on a plant, is it generally better to let the plant grow in the ground or large pot before trimming and transplanting to a bonsai pot or to continually transplant to larger bonsai pots when they plant is ready? Any info/advice is much appreciated. Thanks!

Tidal Bonsai

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Hello, if I'm trying to encourage trunk growth on a plant, is it generally better to let the plant grow in the ground or large pot before trimming and transplanting to a bonsai pot or to continually transplant to larger bonsai pots when they plant is ready? Any info/advice is much appreciated. Thanks!

If your goal is trunk growth, grow in the ground, fertilize/water well, and leave the foliage alone.

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b

If you have the ability to plant it in the ground, that is your best bet. If you can not grow in the ground easily you can use large nursery pots, or anderson flats, or other larger containers to grow out the tree to develop a trunk.

MOST bonsai spend the first 5 to 15 years growing large to develop the trunk. ''Bonsai Training'' does not start until the trunk is just about the diameter desired for the finished tree. At this time the tree may be 10 or more times taller than the planned finished bonsai. Once the training begins, there will be very little increase in the trunk diameter.

I have an Amur maple, I would like to have it be a shohin tree, less than 8 inches tall (20 cm) with a nice 2 or 3 inch diameter trunk (5 to 7.5 cm trunk) Right now it is over 6 feet tall (over 2 meters) and it is growing in a large nursery pot. I will not cut it down until the trunk just above the soil is 2 inches diameter. (5 cm diameter).

There are variations on this approach, but in general, you let the tree get large in order to develop the first few inches of trunk.

j evans

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
WELCOME, good to have you here. Ask away with anything you want to know. Someone here always has an answer. Oh, and please put in your location, in case we want to stop by and take a look at your trees, no for climate purposes. Again welcome.

Trebor

Sapling
Reaction score
WELCOME, good to have you here. Ask away with anything you want to know. Someone here always has an answer. Oh, and please put in your location, in case we want to stop by and take a look at your trees, no for climate purposes. Again welcome.

Thanks! I'm in Cincinnati, OH trying all this out on the roof of my condo. Appreciate all the info.

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thanks! I'm in Cincinnati, OH trying all this out on the roof of my condo. Appreciate all the info.

Please be pleased to add location to profile so always there to see;).

Top Bottom