Trunk line direction for privet

Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
I found this privet as a little seedling growing in my garden at an odd horizontal angle, and let it grow to see how it would develop. Of course it started to grow vertical, and I have cut it back a few times to put some movement into the trunk. At the moment it looks like this:

20230108_13_bonsai_privet_16 copy.jpeg

I am pondering what the next step ought to be. The most obvious would be to keep it flowing upwards following the red line indicated below:

20230108_13_bonsai_privet_16 copy_2.jpeg

It does seem to be turning into an odd "L" shape though, and I was wondering if a more dramatic line downwards to fill some of the empty space might be better:

20230108_13_bonsai_privet_16 copy_1.jpeg

Having the trunk turn downwards like this is a bit unusual however. Is it a bad idea?

Thanks for any and all suggestions.

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
I like the look of the second option. It is nice to see some different trees instead of the same old cookie cutter shapes.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
I like the look of the second option. It is nice to see some different trees instead of the same old cookie cutter shapes.
Thank you! I struggle to find examples of trees where the trunk takes a downward trunk, so I worried that perhaps it would be too unnatural. You have reassured me that it is worth a try.

Top Bottom