trunk line opinions

wahoo172

Yamadori
Reaction score
I bought this ap. from Brent last year, I am beginning to cut it back and want to post pictures of the tree as it is now befor I cut anything else off.
I cut two large branches off last month so I could see the trunk line better. I am in central Florida with little threat of frost so this is a fairly safe time to trim large branches.
I took this picture and edited most of the background out, then virtually cut the trunk where I had it marked with a wire loosely wrapped around the trunk. My gut tells me to style to the most compact tree, but I see the graceful trunk that Brent grew and want other thoughts before I cut.
There is an upward growing branch right below the green wire that would make a nice new leader. I am thinking the top should be about 6 inches above the trunk chop ( if I cut it).

Here are the links to the photos, this way you can see the largest pictures possible.
http://s426.photobucket.com/albums/pp348/wahoo172/?action=view&current=DSC_0010.jpg

http://s426.photobucket.com/albums/pp348/wahoo172/?action=view&current=basecopy.jpg

http://s426.photobucket.com/albums/pp348/wahoo172/?action=view&current=stump1.jpg

onlyrey

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
I like the last virtual.

This one:
branches2.jpg

wahoo172

Yamadori
Reaction score
Onlyrey,

The second virt is what I want to do, just wondered if others thought I should design it as a taller tree.
Thanks for your thoughts.
George

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Have you considered going shorter? In your vert I like the bottom 1/3rd of the tree, but then there is an awkward straight section with little taper or character. Personally I would go shorter, not taller.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
Nice trunk, I would cut about 2" above the wire to a bud going left and then grow out for a season or so (Florida):D. The last virt looks great but I think I would go a little taller, have a wider crown as well as a branch base crown line at least 2/3 rd's the height. That way it looks more like a maple and not a conifer. Seems to me you are only half way there with trunk diameter. Just my pref, I like the big ones.

Nice looking potential.

wahoo172

Yamadori
Reaction score
"Seems to me you are only half way there with trunk diameter. Just my pref, I like the big ones."

Marc,

That is a cut off 55 gallon drum it is planted in. How big do you want it?

BN,
I could go shorter, but them it looks even more like a pine shaped tree instead of a graceful maple.

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Onlyrey,

The second virt is what I want to do, just wondered if others thought I should design it as a taller tree.
Thanks for your thoughts.
George

You can but I don't think you will ever be happy with it. The shorter version a-la- Onlyrey is the best option.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
That is a cut off 55 gallon drum it is planted in. How big do you want it?

:eek:

sorry man, ok trunk is big enough. I guess that would be a beach towel and not a wash cloth then.

what the other guys said.

JasonG

Chumono
Reaction score
Shorter would be better as the others say, even shorter then your short virt. Just because it is shorter doesn't mean it has to look like a pine tree, quite the opposite actually.

Keep us posted on this one....

Jason

Graydon

Chumono
Reaction score
The answer you seek can be best expressed in a ratio... 1:6.

I need to swing by and check it out. No worries as you know it's way too heavy for me to load it in my truck by myself. No need to chain it down.

Glad to see the monster is doing well.

wahoo172

Yamadori
Reaction score
Update .....

I bit the bullet and cut the trunk down, I still need to taper the very top of the trunk to blend the taper in better. Then start growing branches to fill the tree out. Thanks again Brent for growing such superior material!

maplejuly2010.jpg

snobird

Mame
Reaction score
Bonsai, hotrods, beauties and bikes!

discusmike

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
nice trunk!looks like you have things under control.

Top Bottom