Trunk splitter alternatives

Stormwater

Shohin
Reaction score
So, I've only had small bonsai before. Trying my hand at something a little larger. Question to those fellow cheapskate bonsai dabblers. Have you figured out an alternative to buying expensive 75$ truck splitters or an alternate technique for splitting think branches? Thanks in advance for tips.

P.s. I realize the importance of the correct high quality tools.

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
A chisel can work.
Hardware store nail pliers have the same shape but they are fatter.
Flush cutters / branch splitters can be found on Ebay for 20-25 bucks - yes, they're chinese.. But the quality seems to be pretty OK for the price. And how often do you really use them?

My 20 dollar chinese tools are entering year 3 with almost no wear, apart from the wire cutter. But I found a snubnose wire cutter at the hardware store for 14 euros with a lifelong guarantee.

If sharpening a tool is 40 bucks a piece, you bet I'll just buy new tools when they're blunt.

Stormwater

Shohin
Reaction score
perfect! Thanks for the ideas. I found these for even cheaper. end cutter

I bet I could file them down to sharpen. I'll let you know how it goes. Will check out ebay as well.

BobbyLane

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
my go to
giphy.gif

NOZZLE HEAD

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I have a pair cheap of “hoof trimmers” for horses. I think they were like 18 bucks.

Like anything for horses there are super expensive versions out there too. Horse people are even crazier than bonsai nuts.

Top Bottom