Trunk: Taper or Movement?

bonsai barry

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Taper or Moment: Which would you choose? Both, of course. But if you can't have it both ways, then which would you choose?

This is a privet (I think) that I'm repotting. Soon I will have to choose a front and style it. I can style it exploiting its taper (the base of the trunk is nearly five inches) or turn to emphasize the movement of the trunk. Which do you like better?

Attachments

• Privet 2.jpg
    Privet 2.jpg
    99.3 KB · Views: 131
  • DSC_0003.jpg
    DSC_0003.jpg
    124.5 KB · Views: 120

bonsaibp

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
I'd show off the movement. It still has taper. And that big crossing root in the 2nd picture is not very attractive.

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
What ^ BP said, exactly, in that order... Words right out of my mouth.

bonsai barry

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I appreciate your comments for two years I've looked at that tree and figured I'd work with the taper perspective. You're right about that root but it is so big that it has grafted into the trunk so I was planning a little creative carving to create the illusion that it is part of the trunk as you so nicely demonstrate in your blog, Bob. (http://bonsaibpsbonsaiblog-bonsai.b...d-max=2014-01-01T00:00:00-08:00&max-results=3).

I'll just look at it another season I think. Thank you for sharing your insights.

Last edited:

edprocoat

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Man, the first picture looks like a finished Bonsai already, that's the side and angle I would choose ! Great looking tree. It has a 5 inch base, did you collect it? Taper wins.

ed

nathanbs

Omono
Reaction score
Man, the first picture looks like a finished Bonsai already, that's the side and angle I would choose ! Great looking tree. It has a 5 inch base, did you collect it? Taper wins.

ed

Ed the first picture is the movement contender but as several said above it also has nice taper.

edprocoat

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Ed the first picture is the movement contender but as several said above it also has nice taper.

Thought that was what I posted, but thanks anyway. maybe I should have said, I choose the first picture, this tree has taper from both sides.

ed

bonsai barry

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone

ed

No, Ed, I didn't collect it. It was one of those lucky finds in the Nursery sale area/ Discard area.

edprocoat

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
No, Ed, I didn't collect it. It was one of those lucky finds in the Nursery sale area/ Discard area.

That's a great find, and I bet it saved you a fortune too. What kind of pot you thinking about, or have you gave that any consideration yet?

ed

nathanbs

Omono
Reaction score
Thought that was what I posted, but thanks anyway. maybe I should have said, I choose the first picture, this tree has taper from both sides.

ed

I was only saying that because you said taper wins! I was merely saying that the OP intended that to be the movement option

edprocoat

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I was only saying that because you said taper wins! I was merely saying that the OP intended that to be the movement option

Sigh, uh ok . Truly I think this tree has taper either way, so in my opinion taper wins either way. :)

ed

edprocoat

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Anyhow Barry, the reason I asked if it was collected is all the privet I see in stores or even as pre-bonsai have trunks as thick as your roots. That was truly a great find. I know you said it does not look as far along as it seems in the pictures, but that first picture looks pretty damned good to me. Keep er green !

ed

Reaction score
I would also add that in the second pic the trunk is going away
from the viewer, which granted on some trees you don't have a choice,
but to pick a view such as this and then work the apex back towards
the viewer.
But in your case you clearly do.

jkd2572

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I would remove 50% of the foliage to make the trunk look even bigger.

Top Bottom