Trunk Taper!

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
This is one of my Holly’s that I have been working on. I’m hoping to get some decent branching this spring. It has pretty nice trunk taper. I’m thinking that this will be the final height of the tree. It should make a nice shohin. The nebari has come along nicely as well. I am hoping to be able to get some decent surface roots soon. EB99F6A4-B508-412A-ABD4-D023B1ADEAF2.jpeg

milehigh_7

Mister 500,000
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hot
+1 to what @james says. In addition, I would consider changing the planting angle 15 degrees to the right. Unless a person is going for a broom (even then not always) or a formal upright look, I'm normally not a huge fan of trunks that are perpendicular to the soil. Taper is good but without at least the appearance of movement it's kind of meh...

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
+1 to what @james says. In addition, I would consider changing the planting angle 15 degrees to the right. Unless a person is going for a broom (even then not always) or a formal upright look, I'm normally not a huge fan of trunks that are perpendicular to the soil. Taper is good but without at least the appearance of movement it's kind of meh...
Thanks. i will get to that once it has established more roots and gets healthy again.

JosephCooper

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10A
Not impressed yet

How well do hollys back-bud? Are they like Azaleas?

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Not impressed yet

How well do hollys back-bud? Are they like Azaleas?
I believe that they will back bud on old wood. I researched it before I made any cuts. I know my experience with ones in a landscape is that they always grow back after cutting them back hard. Time will tell I GUESS

Top Bottom