Trunk thickening method

Reaction score
I have been reading some material on the Bonsai Empire site. Regarding one method for thickening and tapering a trunk, what exactly is meant by trimming above the thin part of the trunk? What is the the thin part of the trunk? Is it a natural point where the tree is on it's own starting taper heavily, something along those lines, to work with the natural tendencies of the particular plant? Am I close to the idea? haha

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
I have been reading some material on the Bonsai Empire site. Regarding one method for thickening and tapering a trunk, what exactly is meant by trimming above the thin part of the trunk? What is the the thin part of the trunk?
I agree that those terms are not very clear. Perhaps you should be asking Bonsai Empire what that means because I can only guess.

Check the video just posted. My guess is the technique referred to is shown at around 3 minutes where the thicker part is removed in favour of a thinner trunk or side branch to give better taper. Note that the branch does not have to be growing vertical. Even horizontal branches can be wired and bent upward so they give a better trunk line.

Sometimes the branch does not even exist when we make the initial trunk chop. Provided the species can grow new shoots on bare wood we just wait for new shoots to grow then trim the trunk back to blend in with the best of the new shoots.

Top Bottom