Trying Neagari Bougainvillea In need of ADVICE

jose

Sapling
Reaction score
Hi
First of all thanks to you all for your questions and answers and this forum !! :)

I am trying to maintain this bougainvillea in its original stile when I found it like 2 months ago
here are some pictures. After the first cuts (newbie stile).

Attachments

• 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    16.6 KB · Views: 126
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    15.5 KB · Views: 104
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    6.5 KB · Views: 101
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    13.9 KB · Views: 126
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    8.9 KB · Views: 109

jose

Sapling
Reaction score
Its starting to grow very low what should I do ?
Also ill would like to try the jin Shary on this bougain.

Attachments

• 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    12.6 KB · Views: 73

jose

Sapling
Reaction score
Not 1 replay :confused:
Am I asking something wrong? or dose this bougainvillea has a future? ( I like IT)
or no one knows what to tell me?
what is it ?

Reaction score
jose, I like it as well... I think you should cut your branches down further and frame in with foilage the most interesting part of this plant, the trunk. good luck, hope this helps...

Joedes3

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I wish I could tell you something about the tree. I hope this keeps your post going. Very interested in any info anyone could give on this. Good Luck. Joe

Tona

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hi Jose,
Bougainvilleas are not an apically dominant species, so I always leave some top branching. Lower branching will always occur and needs to be dealt with based on your future design. I have a few here in the Southern California desert area that can be cut back hard and then reproduce massive foliage. Just don't cut back the apex as much as the lower branches. If you are going to wire the tree, do it in the first or second year of new growth or it will become too woody and break under the bending stress. The good thing is they are fast growing and recover from pruning mistakes easily. If it is a "Pink Pixie" variety, wiring second year growth can be tricky because it is woodier. They like tight roots and moderate water and can be heavy feeders. "Bouigain" is a good fertilizer made specifically for this species.
Good Luck,
Tona

Bob O

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7B
Hi Jose,

To answer one of your specific questions: "Its starting to grow very low what should I do ?"

When a shoot emerges in a spot that you don't want it, just rub it off, when they emerge in a location that fits your design plan be very careful not to damage them.

Hope this helps,

Bob O

jose

Sapling
Reaction score
Thanks for all your responses I was wondering if this bougain was a good canvas for a bonsai, because I cant find any bougain neagari on google and I'm a noob I was a little lost but thanks for the image and your advices. ill post in time further developments

jose

Sapling
Reaction score
Follow up
Okay here are 3 pictures to let you guys know how is the bougain and to hear from you guys ideas or recommendations on this Neagari.
3.jpg
The first its when the bougain got attacked by caterpillars. The second picture its the roots when I first collected the bougain... I want to lift it higher to show more roots its that a good idea?
and the last picture its the actual picture.
When its a good time to cut it back ? I think it stooped blooming
also you can see the Natural jin on the middle. I could try to lower the cut to make a shari on the trunk.

Last edited:
Reaction score
sorry jose,
we are not able to see the photos you attached...

jose

Sapling
Reaction score
Cant fix the meassage above

Here are the pictures

2.jpg1.jpg3.jpg

Hope you can see the pictures now I can see them in the preview.

Reaction score
jose,
Judging by the pic of it's bare roots, you seem to have it planted at the right height... I personally don't see any advantage to raising it any further, below the level of where it is now it is not very visually interesting, and should remain buried.

As far as cutting it back, seeing that you live in PR, I would think that it would be ok to cut when ever... here in Florida I would usually wait till early spring, because we still get some freezing temps and any new growth would more than likely die as a result of such cold.
Personally I would try to wire down some of the lower branches (if possible) and cut it back really far.

The jin, or a shari is going to take some work maintaining, since bougie wood is very soft, not impossible, but something to consider...

John Ruger

Shohin
Reaction score
Exposed-root bonsai is a really tricky style to accomplish successfully. 99 times out of 100 you see them as a root-over-rock style.

...here's a link- europeanbonsai.freeforms.org/neagari-style-by-accident- the thread was posted by AlainK who posts here as well, so maybe give him a shout for some tips. Also, do a Google image search of Neagari bonsai and you'll see loads of examples which may offer links to more info.

Good Luck.

Last edited:
Top Bottom