Trying out some trees for a shohin didplay

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I have some bad news about Diasaku... I found out last night that he was in a bad car crash 10 days ago, and he is still hospitalized. Right now, his left arm and hand is numb. I don't know about his leg. I pray for a full recovery! Young guy, too. He and his wife have a young son.
Oh, terrible news, I hope he has a full recovery. At least he's young they heal better than us geezers... And even if not they can find ways to cope.

kakejiku

Chumono
Reaction score
Traditionally, JBP goes on top. Even though JBP is not a mountain tree! Go figure. Anyway, it should be an informal upright, almost certainly a conifer.

This tree (JBP) is widespread on or near the coasts of the warmer parts of Japan on Honshu, Shikoku, and Kyushu islands. It is also found in South Korea. It grows most commonly along seashores starting just behind the newest line of dunes and extending inland for a kilometer or more forming the bulk of the canopy of such forests. More inland it prefers rock outcrops and dry ridge-lines in the mountains up to a 1000 meters or more elevation. On occasion it occurs on dry rock barrens in the mountains.

Information Source http://botanyboy.org/pinus-thunbergii-the-japanese-black-pine-tree/

Last edited:

markyscott

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
I have some bad news about Diasaku... I found out last night that he was in a bad car crash 10 days ago, and he is still hospitalized. Right now, his left arm and hand is numb. I don't know about his leg. I pray for a full recovery! Young guy, too. He and his wife have a young son.

That's terrible news. I have great admiration and respect for Daisaku and wish him a speedy recovery. Thanks for letting us know, Adair.

pitchpine

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Slightly off topic, but how long would you say the needles are on you JBP Adair?

I've been trying to find out how short it is theoretically possible to get the needles for my own future shohin JBP. Unfortunately I don't know what variety mine is, but I assume it's just the straight species.

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
They are about an inch.

I have a JBP that had really, really short needles. 1/4 to 1/2 inch!

image.jpeg

That's too short!

pitchpine

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Wow, those are tiny!! In the case of this tree, did you mean too short simply for aesthetic reasons? Or that the shortness was dangerous for the future health of the tree?

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Wow, those are tiny!! In the case of this tree, did you mean too short simply for aesthetic reasons? Or that the shortness was dangerous for the future health of the tree?
Both.

That picture was taken after I decandled late May 2015. The spring growth I removed was about 1 1/2 inches. So it was growing well. When I purchased the tree, in January 2015, it only had the really short needles. I suspect it had been decandled too late the summer before.

Here is how it looks after decandling a couple weeks ago:

image.jpeg

When the summer candles come out, they should grow to about the length of these, which is about 3/4 inch. When they do, the tree will look much fuller.

Top Bottom