Trying to decide between Kaneshin 35D or Kaneshin 827 (or 39 style)

geargarcon

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
I’m looking at purchasing either the 35D model or the 827 model. I don’t care much about the stainless steel. I primarily want something that is comfortable and light to use on smaller trees.

Anyone have experience with both who could provide some feedback?

Deep Sea Diver

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I use both at home. At t the museum I use either or their longer ones depending . It depends on the size and type of trees and the type of work you will most often do. However either will be suitable unless you are working on pruning bigger stock.

The stainless are sturdier, but need to be sharpened more often. The steel ones are lighter and hold an nice edge longer.

Search around for the best price as some sources discount each at different times. Also, be prepared to take a hammer to the rivet as they sometimes come with the blades too loose… in my experience.

Good luck with your purchase!
Cheers
DSD sends

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Let me help this along. Here are the two you’re deciding between, as most don’t know model numbers.
180 cm is pretty small, and the handles are going to be really small on the 35d. I’d avoid stainless, as they’re tougher to keep sharp.
838CCDDD-C099-4FB0-8288-B8A8F3D464EA.jpegAF4C1A39-428E-4C27-A2EA-35F3CB488A7F.jpeg

Here is the pair I’ve used for years. 8 3/8” long, good all-purpose shears.
3DE1A461-C241-4B30-85BB-911851C9239D.jpeg

Best

geargarcon

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Thank you to both of you! Yes, I’m primarily working with shohin and I’m looking for a general purpose trimming shear. I had some larger ashinaga style shears, and they just felt so large and clumsy next to the small trees. I was initially thinking the 38C but decided that might be more than I need. The 39 actually just looks like the little brother to the 38.

I imagine that the 35D are lighter which seems a plus though I’m concerned the handles might be a little too small for long work sessions with sessions. I have small hands but fat fingers.

The 827/39 seems like it would be more comfortable but I’ve been told they don’t reach into the tight spaces on small trees as well.

Brian, I see you prefer the 38C. Would they be too big for shohin?

DSD, which ones do you feel you reach for the most?

Last edited:

Deep Sea Diver

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
If it were me, I’d go for what Brian recommended. I just saw them for 54.00 on eBay. He does a lot of varied work and if they are good for him, you’ll likely do fine with these.

To answer your question though, I used both the 35d and the 827 interchangeably, but recently my better half has laid claim to the 827s, so I guess it would be the 35d. They are for small to mediumish work.

I have to reach for larger ones for thicker branches as I work on lots of azaleas and these can have some pretty darn hard wood.… but then I have lots of choices at hand for larger sizes.

cheers
DSD sends

ShimpakuBonsai

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8B
I like working with the smaller types of scissors and I got a few scissors of the Kaneshin brand and I really like them.

The 35D (180mm - blue steel) is one of my favourite pair of scissors.
I use it with two fingers inside the handle (middle and ring finger) and I put my index finger on top of the scissor to guide the scissor.

Besides that I also use the all hand made 35 (190mm - white steel) and the all hand made 601A (170mm - white steel) scissors and those handles are a little bigger which will fit three fingers inside the handle.

geargarcon

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
I like working with the smaller types of scissors and I got a few scissors of the Kaneshin brand and I really like them.

The 35D (180mm - blue steel) is one of my favourite pair of scissors.
I use it with two fingers inside the handle (middle and ring finger) and I put my index finger on top of the scissor to guide the scissor.

Besides that I also use the all hand made 35 (190mm - white steel) and the all hand made 601A (170mm - white steel) scissors and those handles are a little bigger which will fit three fingers inside the handle.
Thanks for your reply! Do you find the all handmade are any better than the others? The 35F has also interested me which is an all handmade version of the 35D, though only with SK steel.

geargarcon

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Specifically the blade is also 5mm longer and the handles are slightly larger so I wonder if it might be slightly more versatile and how much of a trade off the SKsteel is vs the blue

and as I look at, it the 35F just looks like a size in the middle between the 35D and 35, and at a slightly cheaper price because of the SKsteel.

Last edited:

ShimpakuBonsai

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8B
The 35D is my go to scissors at the moment and I use the 35D mostly for pruning the foilage of my junipers.
Doing so I only use the very end of the tips of the blades to cut the foilage so the length of the blade is not that important for me.

I have bought several (cheaper) brands of scissors in the past but I wanted to upgrade them to high quality tools.
When I decided I wanted to buy some new high quality scissors I have looked at Masakuni and Kaneshin.
My conclusion was that the Kaneshin tools were the best for me when I compared quality and price.

After I made the decision for Kaneshin I wanted the best quality steel possible and therefore I decided on the blue steel and white steel scissors.
The scissors I bought are all made of very high quality steel and they are very sharp and they cut like a hot knife throught butter.

I don't think there is that much difference between the standard scissors and the all hand made scissors besides the thought of how the scissors are made.

geargarcon

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
The 35D is my go to scissors at the moment and I use the 35D mostly for pruning the foilage of my junipers.
Doing so I only use the very end of the tips of the blades to cut the foilage so the length of the blade is not that important for me.

I have bought several (cheaper) brands of scissors in the past but I wanted to upgrade them to high quality tools.
When I decided I wanted to buy some new high quality scissors I have looked at Masakuni and Kaneshin.
My conclusion was that the Kaneshin tools were the best for me when I compared quality and price.

After I made the decision for Kaneshin I wanted the best quality steel possible and therefore I decided on the blue steel and white steel scissors.
The scissors I bought are all made of very high quality steel and they are very sharp and they cut like a hot knife throught butter.

I don't think there is that much difference between the standard scissors and the all hand made scissors besides the thought of how the scissors are made.
Alright, 35D it is!

yeah I started with some cheaper tools, but I am now wanting to upgrade. Some of this desire though is just an affinity for tools, and specifically an affinity for anything with a sharp edge :)

I’m going to grab this along with the 40f which is the standard bonsai scissor design in blue steel. I figure between those two I should be able to cover all of my scissor needs.

ShimpakuBonsai

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8B
You wouldn't be disappointed about the 35D scissors. 👍

I personally don't like the large handle scissors that much so that's why I choose the ones I mentioned earlier.

P.S. Please mention your USDA zone in your profile so people can help you even better if you have questions about trees and your climate zone.

geargarcon

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
You wouldn't be disappointed about the 35D scissors. 👍

I personally don't like the large handle scissors that much so that's why I choose the ones I mentioned earlier.

P.S. Please mention your USDA zone in your profile so people can help you even better if you have questions about trees and your climate zone.
Just added my zone.

Yeah, I prefer smaller handled scissors as well. I’m primarily getting the 40f so I have an option for root pruning and larger cuts, essentially things where I don’t want to abuse the 35d. And then using the 4s for legitimate branches.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
You'll probably find that a pair of cuticle cutters work better than any bonsai tool at a much better price point.

I usually use ones from Pakistan but if it has to be Japanese, try these.
Capture+_2021-07-22-09-40-37.png

So many styles and angles to choose from.

Sorce

P.S. Welcome to Crazy!

geargarcon

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
You'll probably find that a pair of cuticle cutters work better than any bonsai tool at a much better price point.

I usually use ones from Pakistan but if it has to be Japanese, try these.
View attachment 387654

So many styles and angles to choose from.

Sorce

P.S. Welcome to Crazy!
I appreciate that suggestion and love the creativity!

Thank you for the warm welcome.

Ohmy222

Shohin
Reaction score
i have the 35D blue steel scissor. It is a great scissor for trimming but I don't like how they feel in my hand for the reason Brian calls out. I only use them for light thinning too as I slightly bent them once cutting what I thought to be a 'cuttable' branch. I may actually give Brian's recommendation a chance myself. For basic work I still use the classic green handle shears more than anything.

Top Bottom