Trying to identify cypress types

Dues12

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Hello! I am new to Bonsai and recently purchased some pre-bonsai from a local nursery.
I was told the two trees I have are both Cypress, one of which is a Hinoki Cypress. The owner could not recall which one though.

I have looked online for the past couple days trying to figure out which is Hinoki and what the other might be.

When I look at Hinoki on tree sites, the characteristics seem to match up more with the shrub looking tree, but when I look at examples of bonsai Hinoki they seem to more closely resemble the single trunk tree I have...which seems to have a bulb flare at the base; I read that can happen to Hinoki and is not a good thing for bonsai (maybe I picked a bad one).

I would like to identify these so I can do specific research and come up with a plan for these two. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Pic 1: both trees
Pics 2-5: single trunk tree (4-5 trying to show the base bulb flare best I can)
Pics 6-7: shrub looking tree

Attachments

• 4F6259C6-C6CF-4680-94F6-34064C2177AA.jpeg
    4F6259C6-C6CF-4680-94F6-34064C2177AA.jpeg
    354.9 KB · Views: 31
  • 9AAF02D7-8AC7-416E-B1B3-3DC2BD712833.jpeg
    9AAF02D7-8AC7-416E-B1B3-3DC2BD712833.jpeg
    270.7 KB · Views: 36
  • 3C6BAD35-C39E-4F22-9188-E9CACF1E240E.jpeg
    3C6BAD35-C39E-4F22-9188-E9CACF1E240E.jpeg
    189.6 KB · Views: 30
  • 4D125A92-866A-4669-B82C-13F05C8EC69D.jpeg
    4D125A92-866A-4669-B82C-13F05C8EC69D.jpeg
    199.9 KB · Views: 28
  • 3BED76DA-D399-4116-8960-19D3E6B8305D.jpeg
    3BED76DA-D399-4116-8960-19D3E6B8305D.jpeg
    177 KB · Views: 25
  • 506A1936-57D4-41AC-8B22-27FB282FDB18.jpeg
    506A1936-57D4-41AC-8B22-27FB282FDB18.jpeg
    296.8 KB · Views: 22
  • 3799489D-255D-4DD7-AA53-EC91338B220D.jpeg
    3799489D-255D-4DD7-AA53-EC91338B220D.jpeg
    224.7 KB · Views: 37

AlainK

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Have you been told the scientific name ? I mean, like a lot of trees that are sold as "something" cedar, or "something" cypress, sometiles they're not "cedar" or "cypress"...

Dues12

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Have you been told the scientific name ? I mean, like a lot of trees that are sold as "something" cedar, or "something" cypress, sometiles they're not "cedar" or "cypress"...
No, unfortunately all the owner of the nursery knew was they were a type of Cypress, and said Hinoki for the smaller one.

Dues12

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Definitely looks like a Chamaecyparis https://www.gardenia.net/plants/plant-family/chamaecyparis_--_false-cypress... both could be Hinoki. The smaller one doesn't look as healthy as the larger, darker plant.
Thank you! I’m looking at the examples and variations of Hinoki now. The owner of the nursery I got them from had these two separate and grouped with others exactly like them, so I didn’t think the one was unhealthy, just figured that’s how this species looked during the winter months. Maybe I’m overthinking things and knowing they are some type of false-cypress is enough, and just need to work the roots, repot, and let sit. I will do some research too on trying to improve the health of the smaller one.

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
Thank you! I’m looking at the examples and variations of Hinoki now. The owner of the nursery I got them from had these two separate and grouped with others exactly like them, so I didn’t think the one was unhealthy, just figured that’s how this species looked during the winter months. Maybe I’m overthinking things and knowing they are some type of false-cypress is enough, and just need to work the roots, repot, and let sit. I will do some research too on trying to improve the health of the smaller one.
Without a doubt, the difference in color and fullness of the foliage between the two plants could be related more to cultivar then health. Any way, good luck with them!

Dues12

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
I
Without a doubt, the difference in color and fullness of the foliage between the two plants could be related more to cultivar then health. Any way, good luck with them!
I sure hope that’s the case, and not that the owner wa selling some neglected trees. There were only a small handful left of the smaller ones.
Thank you!!

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
Both appear to be cultivars of Hinoki, botanical name is Chamaecyparis obtusa.

There are cultivars of Chamaecyparis that turn yellow, some new growth is yellow, some turn yellow over winter. These are considered "golden" forms of the species. The dark color one is the color more often used for bonsai. But nothing wrong with using a golden form for bonsai.

The "bulb" at the base of your single trunk is perfectly normal, nothing to worry about if it is part of the natural flare out of the trunk as it transitions to roots. On young trees, keep the nebari - the trunk buttress as it transitions to roots - keep it buried. If the "bulb" is a graft union, also keep it buried. Chamaecyparis root fairly easily as ground layers. Keeping the "bulb" buried, eventually, new roots will form just above the "bulb".

You won't know if that is a graft union or just a natural bulge as it transitions to roots, until you repot in spring. Do not repot now, wait until spring.

Dues12

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Both appear to be cultivars of Hinoki, botanical name is Chamaecyparis obtusa.

There are cultivars of Chamaecyparis that turn yellow, some new growth is yellow, some turn yellow over winter. These are considered "golden" forms of the species. The dark color one is the color more often used for bonsai. But nothing wrong with using a golden form for bonsai.

The "bulb" at the base of your single trunk is perfectly normal, nothing to worry about if it is part of the natural flare out of the trunk as it transitions to roots. On young trees, keep the nebari - the trunk buttress as it transitions to roots - keep it buried. If the "bulb" is a graft union, also keep it buried. Chamaecyparis root fairly easily as ground layers. Keeping the "bulb" buried, eventually, new roots will form just above the "bulb".

You won't know if that is a graft union or just a natural bulge as it transitions to roots, until you repot in spring. Do not repot now, wait until spring.
Hi Leo!! I remember you from my first post last spring. Once again I appreciate you taking the time out to help and share info. That is all great to know!
If it is best to wait until Spring to work the roots and repot then I will wait. I was planning to do it this weekend because the ‘golden’ one’s roots seem to have colonized the pot (if that’s the right description...I pulled it from the pot and it is wall to wall with roots circling), and I read on my local Bonsai Clubs site Jan/Feb is when to repot conifers here in Southern CA. The darker Hinoki roots were not quite as bad when I lifted it from the pot, but thought if it’s the time to do the one then I should do both.

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
Where I live, we have a blizzard blowing in Saturday afternoon, wind, snow, lightning and thunder, expecting up to 10 inches of snow. In southern California you may already be in the middle of spring. Follow your local bonsai club advice on when to repot Hinoki. I don't know your climate. Your local club does.

Dues12

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Where I live, we have a blizzard blowing in Saturday afternoon, wind, snow, lightning and thunder, expecting up to 10 inches of snow. In southern California you may already be in the middle of spring. Follow your local bonsai club advice on when to repot Hinoki. I don't know your climate. Your local club does.
Thank you, Leo, I appreciate the advice. I grew up in Quincy IL, and while I miss the outdoors and openness, I don’t miss the snow. Hope you stay safe and warm this weekend.

Top Bottom