Trying to Post Some Rescued Tropicals

grouper52

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Back in the PI after 18+ months, trying to revitalize several things .... including some of my old collection. Two at least died, the rest were largely near death when I got here, but I've been able start most back on track both horticulturally and aesthetically. LOTS of trouble trying to take and post decent pix with equipment and IT status here, but I'm trying again. OK - It worked! Let me see if I can get the back image on here as well, since it is also attractive. Yes!!! So... I'll continue the thread .... IMG_0385.jpgCan't recall the name of this guy (or rather, "this couple," since it reminds me of a couple dancing the tango or such. Can't collect these leagally anymore in the species that lives by the ocean, but tyis may be the other variety that is invasive and will take over entire fields of farmland.

IMG_0383.jpg

vp999

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
Love this one Will...Thank you for sharing.

grouper52

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
So, I'll post what I have slowly in a number of posts ... Some of you have undoutedly seen some of these before a few years ago, and some have deteriorated quite a bit. These two beauties are the same general species I believe, but I don't recall the name. Processing these with software that's not user-friendly is going to take some time, especially with bandwidth or whatever they call it here ... Enjoy!
eDeadwood!.jpg IMG_0393.jpg

Oleg

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6A
Very nice, love that first one.
Thanks

vp999

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
I think the tree in the last picture is a Desmodium, very popular in Southeast Asia for bonsai and have beautiful purple flower. I have one as well and I love it.

grouper52

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Getting the hang of this now, so a couple more today if the software gods will look kindly on me.

So, here's a small Fukien Tea, one of my favorite species for Penjing, and one of two I have here. It never lost a beat in my absence, robust as all get-out. Must be the huge colony of small ants that set up housekeeping in the soil of this and another larger-but-needing-much-refinement one I have and will photo and post later. Stands about 8 inches tall. Enjoy!IMG_0419.jpgIMG_0421.jpg

grouper52

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
A Bougy. Not really into flowering trees too much, but these also just make good bonsai. Another is too large/heavy to move for a photo, but maybe later today a worker will help me when he comes by to help my wife with something else. THAT one is really nice, and has a few flowers currently. Enjoy!

grouper52

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Well, here's another Fukien Tree. Never did much with it before I left, but it is in great shape and I'm starting now - as with most of my other trees here - with simple clip-and-grow to clean things up and get some fullness where I want it, and stimulate copious back-budding in those trees with just a straight sprig or two still left alive. Besides, I've no bonsai-wire except the mostly large stuff I pirated from the old wire that remained on these survivors or was holding them in their pots, so I'm mostly just using guy wires for general branch placement, rather than wrapped wire for mid-branch bending, and hope to focus initially on good-old clip-and-grow for the main foliar placement and sculpting. :)

IMG_0428.jpgIMG_0428.jpg

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
A Bougy. Not really into flowering trees too much, but these also just make good bonsai. Another is too large/heavy to move for a photo, but maybe later today a worker will help me when he comes by to help my wife with something else. THAT one is really nice, and has a few flowers currently. Enjoy!
Picture please.

grouper52

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Well, it's got a name I'm sure, but I don't know it... and it's sort of not even a bonsai I suppose, but more a potted plant, but It's always a favorite of mine, and I need something to adorn this old Chinese pot. Sweat - produced in the Philippines' climate, and then wiped from one's brow expressly for this purpose, BTW - brings out the pot's artwork like nothing else .... Enjoy.

IMG_0399 2.jpg

jaco94

Chumono
Reaction score
Hello ,
Thanks for the beautiful photos , your trees are very evocative and the pot on the last photo fascinates me !

grouper52

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hello ,
Thanks for the beautiful photos , your trees are very evocative and the pot on the last photo fascinates me !

Thank you for your kind words. Yes, this pot is really quite something. I forgot how or where I stumbled upon it, but it's a real source of joy for me.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
the pot's artwork

Those handles move yes?

I have been wanting to make a pot like that.

How do you feel about handling it?
Thoughts on the fragility?

Thanks!

Sorce

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Well, it's got a name I'm sure, but I don't know it... and it's sort of not even a bonsai I suppose, but more a potted plant, but It's always a favorite of mine, and I need something to adorn this old Chinese pot. Sweat - produced in the Philippines' climate, and then wiped from one's brow expressly for this purpose, BTW - brings out the pot's artwork like nothing else .... Enjoy.

View attachment 291773
Ming Aralia?

Top Bottom