Trying to Post Some Rescued Tropicals

grouper52

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
"So, here are all my current Mulawin - my first loves in PI bonsai. They were by far hit hardest by the neglect - I lost only two, but most of the others - though likely to make it - are slow to come back as well." ....

....... Well .... Yes, that's how this post started out, once I finally got decent photos of my seven or eight remaining Mulawin to post here. They are very gnarly, and hence some of my favorites. So I do a Google search to "Mulawin Philippine Bonsai", to make sure I recalled the spelling correctly, and I'm directed to a site put out by Google with that name, so I click on it ....... and here's what greets me, in quite large format:

Screen Shot 2020-03-28 at 11.04.57 PM.jpg

and underneath it says:

"Bonsai Nut

Mulawin with Jin | Bonsai Nut
Images may be subject to copyright."

Shocked! Copyrighted to/by Google, or to/by Bonsai Nut? - I'd like to know. Certainly not to me!!! That's MY photo of MY tree, a tree I just re-photographed and was ready to post here with others today!!!

So I then scroll down that site, and there are row after row of 6 bonsai photos per row from various sites, including a dozen from Bonsai Nut - ALL of which are MINE (w/o credit given), and not all my photos there are even Mulawins!!!

So I think it best that I no longer allow my photos to be copyrighted by Google or BonsaiNut with no credit given to the person who raised and styled and cared for the trees, and took pains to photograph them well. I will therefore be quitting this site unless I find out for certain that BonsaiNut had no part or complicity in this, and no hidden small-print disclosure saying by posting photos here my works are the copyrighted property of Google or BNut, and unless they will see to it that such practices stop.

Copyright that, BNut.

G52

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-03-28 at 11.04.57 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-03-28 at 11.04.57 PM.png
    144.7 KB · Views: 7
  • Screen Shot 2020-03-28 at 11.04.57 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-03-28 at 11.04.57 PM.png
    144.7 KB · Views: 7

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
What Google means is that nobody is free to use the photo because they MAY be copyrighted by someone. They report where they came from and who knows what laws are involved. After all, there are 200 or so countries in the world any one of which could be the source referring to B'Nuts original location/source. Ya wanna claim some rights? Annotate the photos with what you want known. For instance...

generic grouper52.JPG
Or, more subtly...
generic grouper again.JPG

grouper52

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Well, Google's motto of course was "Don't Be Evil" I believe, later changed to "Do the Right Thing". Seems they knew all along it was a BS smokescreen.

Your suggestion isn't very pleasing. You can do that if you want - I'll just stop posting here since BNut can't take responsibility for preventing this with all the effort people make to post trees here, and Google will certainly never be a responsible outfit.

For me, The hobby's still very enjoyable without all the hassle of trying to post photos, although with a proper set-up again I really enjoy doing it. Perhaps, given my experience creating & publishing two photo-intense books over the years - which ARE copyrighted - I'll just publish a little private vanity book of my own best photos of my trees for posterity, and leave the on-line thieves to feed on others.

Anyway - Adios, all. Many of you have become good friends here, and will be missed. Maybe we will meet in person someday, and maybe, as Virgil has Aeneas say to his long-suffering men in this famous quote from the Aeneid - written above the blackboard in the classroom where for three high school years a wonderful, lapsed Jesuit priest taught me Latin, and much wisdom - and forever rendered in indelible, large letters in my mind thereafter
“Forsan et haec olim meminisse iuvabit.”
Translated many ways, but my favorite has always been:

"Perhaps one day it will help to remember even this."

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Grouper, I have become intrigued reading through your travels and your journey back to SE Asia. The posts you made about your first travels to the area and how it affected and changed you were the most interesting to me, as well as your old 80s photos. One quick question, or maybe somebody can answer this, what books has grouper worked on? I would like to acquire them

Maloghurst

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Grouper, I have become intrigued reading through your travels and your journey back to SE Asia. The posts you made about your first travels to the area and how it affected and changed you were the most interesting to me, as well as your old 80s photos. One quick question, or maybe somebody can answer this, what books has grouper worked on? I would like to acquire them
49956497-507E-4D8F-B38D-D658CDCC0EE7.jpeg

bwaynef

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Images may be subject to copyright.
That just means that google images is warning that this image MAY be copyrighted. Its up to the person searching the images with the intent to use them somehow to rifle out who the copyright owner is. Much ado...

Top Bottom