Trying to Propogating Japanese Black Pine Using "Stim Root #3"

junmilo

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hi all

I recently found several Japanese black pine in a park near where i live...in a Japanese garden...i went there and broke off some branches and want to start my own bonsai..from cuttings.

The jar says it's got 0.8% IBA rooting power.it's a 100g jar...i follow the directions on the bottle with the cuttings.

The Soil that i use for the Cuttings is basically "River Sand, Myke Tree and Shurb growth Supplement(its a fungus that helps the plant absorb nutrients)"

I have few questions....

-All my local Garden stores carry is "stim-root" products...the highest one they have is the #3...will it work for the Japanese Black Pine?

-If it does work, how long does it take for the roots to appear?

-The temperature at where i'm from is rougly around 14-18C in the day and evening drops below 10C
so is the temperature too cold?

-I do have a acrylic tank..that i used to keep Poison Dart Frogs in...the temperature in there can reach a constant of around 30C..with Humidity close to 90-100%...can i use it to keep the cuttings humid and warm?

-How often do i Mist the cuttings so that the leaf don't dry out?

Thank You for everyone's help...i know it's a lot of questions

J

P.S...I believe I'm in Zone 5...if that make sense...

Last edited:

junmilo

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
anyone can input on this??!?!?!??! 56 views..no one said anything :(

Pine Barron

Yamadori
Reaction score
Ok you asked for a reply.

First, stop breaking off branches at the Japanese Garden moron. That is repugnant.

Second, there are several threads here that discuss this whole topic and the stregth one would use. It is not for the faint of heart.

You are better off buying seed or even better buying a JBP from someone who grew it to be a bonsai.

Last edited:

jk_lewis

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
It not only repugnant, it's damned close to being criminal.

junmilo

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
ok sorry...><' It is really hard to find JBP here at where i am...only thing available is JWP....I promise i won't do it again...I think it's illegal to ship seeds into my province from another Country...a lot of paper work and stuff...

I'm in Ontario, Canada

Thank You

J

Pine Barron

Yamadori
Reaction score
Where there is a will there is way. If they were able to get them at the Japanese garden then I refuse to believe that you can't get them. Are there any clubs near you? I would try to network with other bonsai people near you and ask suggestions as to how you can get some stock.

Brent

Mame
Reaction score
I just googled "japanese black pine mailorder Canada" and got 25,000 hits. Even on the first page there looks like some potential vendors.

Brent
EvergreenGardenworks.com

monza

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Wow! You actually broke branches off somebody's trees. That's so just wrong and then to post on a site full of tree nuts. Amazing you've been treated so nice after that move.

There are a few places to buy JBP in Canada, here's a good one:
http://www.japanbonsai.com/
I suggest you don't buy any until you study more about bonsai because you'll kill them for sure, like your broken branches. Toronto has an active bonsai scene, not sure about other cities in your area.

junmilo

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Wow! You actually broke branches off somebody's trees. That's so just wrong and then to post on a site full of tree nuts. Amazing you've been treated so nice after that move.

There are a few places to buy JBP in Canada, here's a good one:
http://www.japanbonsai.com/
I suggest you don't buy any until you study more about bonsai because you'll kill them for sure, like your broken branches. Toronto has an active bonsai scene, not sure about other cities in your area.

HI

Thank You very much. Sorry I didn't know it was against the law..it was from a big public park...sorry

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Junmilo,

Unfortunately, you hit a sore spot with bonsaiists. Since our hobby/art/obsession is natural one, based on living things, we have to be sensitive to how go about it sometimes.

Collecting cuttings and even old live trees can be tricky. Permission from the person that owns the tree, or the land the tree is on must always be obtained. That permission can range from simple verbal agreement with the landowner to the permits required in National Parks.

There has been some unscrupulous people that have gone into national parks, or publicly held land and ripped out hundreds of trees. This sends a very bad message about bonsai to the general public.

That is true about "smaller" collection methods like cuttings and seeds. Just because it is in a public park doesn't make it publicly available for anyone to take. In fact, the opposite is true. Those land are held in public trust. They belong to everyone.

I hope this doesn't put you off of bonsai. You just made a big mistake early. That's a good thing. You got that lesson out of the way. If you're really keen on pines, the best way to start with them for a beginner is from an established tree already in a pot. Sapling sized or a little larger can be obtained form nurseries or, if you have the $$, from specialized bonsai nurseries.

Pines are not as forgiving as deciduous trees to beginners' mistakes though...

junmilo

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Junmilo,

Unfortunately, you hit a sore spot with bonsaiists. Since our hobby/art/obsession is natural one, based on living things, we have to be sensitive to how go about it sometimes.

Collecting cuttings and even old live trees can be tricky. Permission from the person that owns the tree, or the land the tree is on must always be obtained. That permission can range from simple verbal agreement with the landowner to the permits required in National Parks.

There has been some unscrupulous people that have gone into national parks, or publicly held land and ripped out hundreds of trees. This sends a very bad message about bonsai to the general public.

That is true about "smaller" collection methods like cuttings and seeds. Just because it is in a public park doesn't make it publicly available for anyone to take. In fact, the opposite is true. Those land are held in public trust. They belong to everyone.

I hope this doesn't put you off of bonsai. You just made a big mistake early. That's a good thing. You got that lesson out of the way. If you're really keen on pines, the best way to start with them for a beginner is from an established tree already in a pot. Sapling sized or a little larger can be obtained form nurseries or, if you have the $$, from specialized bonsai nurseries.

Pines are not as forgiving as deciduous trees to beginners' mistakes though...

Thank you Rock for your reply. I did have a full grown 4ft JWP die on me last fall...i purchased it from a nursery..around Sept. and Repoted in the soil the nursery person recommanded it to me...and when spring arrived..the entire tree turned golden brown and after a huge storm..all the needles were gone...since the tree is under warranty...i got a new one..the one i have right now as a replacement...

I still have the old tree...got no needles or anything on it...other then branches..

When i got the new tree about 3 weeks ago...while bringing it home..i noticed a healthy branch was 75% broken from the new tree...so i used a knife and cut the that branch and grafted onto the suppsely dead tree(near the base of the tree)...it is 3 weeks now, and the needles on that grafted cutting is still green and looks exactly the same as the new tree's needles...BUT...the candles on the grafted cuttings didn't grow at all..maybe it's the stress?..i know i'm new at this..

Thanks again

J

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I wouldn't be too excited about it. Grafting a branch to a sick or dieing tree is probably not going to work. Conifer foliage stays green for a very long time even on dieing trees. Once you see brown on the needles, things are pretty far gone.

Bonsai Basho

Yamadori
Reaction score
Junmilo

You have taken a bit of a pounding on here and you've made your apology - well done.

However, the answer is in your hands. This is how your message sounded to Bonsai ears - you a dog lover?

Hi all I bought a dog. I've had it for 3 months but went gone kinda thin and dry and it hasn't moved for a few weeks. I kept it in the garden with no problem and fed it for the first week so it should have been fine. It was under warranty and the breeder gave me another but its gone kinda crispy around the edges too and now it smells.

I grabbed a 3 week old puppy from a litter and can anyone tell me how to stop it going crispy too?

I'm not saying this to be unkind, but the message is obvious - you must learn to look after living things before you assume responsibility for them or they die.

So what next?

1. Go ask - which you did here (well done!)
2. Go and read lots of books before you kill any more trees
3. Visit informative websites - there are lots
4. Come back and share what you have learned so others do fall down the same hole.

Everyone here has screwed up, lost trees and made mistakes so you are in the right place. Everyone here will help you along and nobody wants you to fail.

Bill S

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
"Everyone here has screwed up, lost trees and made mistakes so you are in the right place. Everyone here will help you along and nobody wants you to fail. ":eek:

Can I hear an Amen Brother.:cool:

monza

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Knowledge is key to keeping trees alive in a pot. Oh yes I've killed many before I became an addict trying to figure it out. If I had a real job I'd be fired for reading about bonsai all day! I'm still a rookie and I was killing mall sticks for years. I've been reading this site for a while before joining. It's a wealth of knowledge, search it.

Here are just a few sites with great info. You'll read many different ways to do many things, keep reading, the right way will merge out of it all customized for your area and your tress. In our harsh Canadian climate I'm a fan of local native trees. They can be amazing bonsai.

http://www.evergreengardenworks.com/articles.htm (read every thing here then read again)
http://www.bonsai4me.co.uk/
http://walter-pall.de/00gallery/index.html
http://bonsaibark.com/ (great resource for books from Stone Lantern)

That should be a helpful start. Good Luck.

junmilo

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hi Everyone.

I just want to say thank you all for the help and advice. I understand how everyone here felt when i said i went to a public park and broke a branch off a tree. I am a reptile hobbyist for the past 10 years, i breed exotic asian turtles..and i understand how one can get pissed off when they hear some "noob" go and kill/hurt some innocent plant/animal. I'm just trying to research more info on them.

As for the Bonsai Hobby, It is actually my father's hobby...he used to have a bonsai garden back in Shanghai, China in the early 70s before we moved to Canada. When he left the China, he left all of his JWP bonsai trees back there or sold them. Now he is retiring soon, I want to help him start off with couple of foundation Trees..(yes I will be purchasing 2 more JWP at $500/each) for him..

The reason I'm not planting it in the ground or leaving the tree outside is, the neighbourhood we live in is kinda a bad one...anything that's valuable if we leave it outside overnight will be gone the next morning. Since my home is a townhouse (right now)...the back yard is not fenced up...I don't want the trees to get stolen.....and since the back yard is shared by all resident...the only thing i Can do is pot the Big tree into a Huge Pot...

me and my wife are looking to purchase a house in the next 2 years..so I hope everything i do can help the tree.

As for if the pine i bought was grafted or not....I believe it is a grafted JWP onto something else..again, i will post photos..once i figure out how the Mac computer works...

I will be posting photos of the trees up soon...just trying to figure out how an Apple computer works..

Have a wonderful day...

J

Last edited:
Top Bottom