Tsuga canadensis 'Moon Frost'

Cypress187

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
If you want to make this tree better you could consider removing/fattening that thin low branch(right) and/or remove the fat branch in the top/middle(left).

aframe

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Don't know if you're looking for feed back; do you think the tachiagari, and the tree, would look better 'connected' if you potted the tree higher in the pot?
the pot looks like a broken egg, and further exemplifies the youth of the tree...in its current potted position. I like the pot, the colors do fit the tree

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The tree is good, but not many things you could match that up with that pot--glazed rock pots don't really work with many things. It's also too small to visually support the tree's mass. It looks like it's going to fall over in a good wind.

A deep green glazed, rough textured oval roughly two thirds as long as the tree is tall would work, as would a shallower traditional unglazed rectangle. Don't get me wrong. I'm all for non-traditional pots, but they have to work with what's in them.

0soyoung

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
This is just an 'exploration' of mine. I had some fun. :D

It doesn't come out strongly in the photo, but this is a variegated hemlock - new growth is white and only the older, inner foliage has the usual hemlock green color. The trunk has a very nice flare and good nebari. I bought it at a 'lemon sale' because it was only $12. I've trimmed it to about half its original height and thinned it to get light to the interior.

I found the bowl at a local arts festival. It was made to be a household objet, not to be a pot. However, I was very taken with the glaze colors and the basic shape. Later, I hit upon this combination.

I agree, @aframe that I should have potted it a bit higher - this 'peek-a-boo' tachagiri idea just doesn't work well. I also agree, @rockm that it still looks a bit unstable. Had I not killed it with the root work to put it in this bowl, my thinking was to reduce its height further and to narrow the canopy slightly (i.e., compact it). Removal of more branches would also have been likely. The thin branch on the right @Cypress187 suggested removing actually goes backward - I kept it as a depth element, but this almost never comes out in photographs, even when it is a good idea.

Mostly, though I was looking for commentary about the artistic concept, like what @aframe
the pot looks like a broken egg, and further exemplifies the youth of the tree ... , the colors do fit the tree
and @rockm
I'm all for non-traditional pots, but they have to work with what's in them.
said.

Regardless, thanks for your comments, everyone.

Last edited:

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I'll expand a bit on what I meant about rock pots and glazes. In my opinion, glazed rock pots are a bit of a contradiction--irregular rock pots with jagged edges and textures say "rugged, somber, hash environment," while glazes say "gentle" and "flowering" or "plants with a bit of color themselves" A rugged irregularly-shaped pot like this one used with a conifer (aside from the too small size) should be a more somber color, preferably unglazed.

A glazed rock pot like the one you have could best be used with flowering accents plants native to rugged alpine or maritime environments, like rock cress, pinks (dianthus), phlox, etc.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Mostly, though I was looking for commentary about the artistic concept, like what @aframe and @rockm said.
Regardless, thanks for your comments, everyone.
I would have missed the egg/youth theme, but maybe removing the bottom four branches would encourage a youthful broom image. No rush of course. I wjust hlf imagine the variegated nature slows down development considerably?

0soyoung

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
But any movement on that Crypo Oso?

Nothing new. The bits of green I left after the chop are just a little longer.
Bud development is quite slow in many conifers, so I am curious to see what happens next spring (despite my expectation it will be nothing).

0soyoung

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
BTW, @defra, this 'moon frost' was the second hemlock that I killed. I'm blaming full bare rooting.

So, I found another sickly tsuga canadensis at my favorite garden center's 'Lemon Sale' last June. I half bare rooted it last August and it did well this season. I just did the other HBR a week ago - no signs of any trouble (yet?). :D

Top Bottom