Tsuga Canadensis study group

Underdog

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
This is the study group where we compare notes and learn about E Hemlock. Talk about root work has already surfaced so I'll post what I have in that regard, When I lifted my two, I was thrilled with the number of white small feeder roots. But, when I tried to clean off the field soil I soon discovered all those pretty white roots were weeds and I had very few good roots.

This is the first one. Looked good until I got out the chop stick.
1674939852749.jpeg
So I kinda chickened out and left the core intact with too much sandy clayish river bottom dirt. I hope to clean this out soon but may wait another year. It's not been as vigorous as I'd like. Maybe still recovering or maybe needs the roots worked to be vigorous.? Chicken or the egg? I'm leaning toward a half clean out and go back for the other half later.

The second one I feel had even less roots under the weed ball. I simply cleaned a bit and plunked it in the grow bed/ground. I killed an amazing wild collected one my rookie year and still feel remorse.
This one in the ground seem to be healthy and produced a lot of cones.
These pics were both from early spring of 2021. Almost 2yrs ago.
1674940557802.jpeg
This spring will be 2 yrs after a harsh collection. I want to pull this one out of the grow bed and considering chopping it down to a foot or less and try to make a smaller tree out of the base. I have a new leader wired up since day one.

I'm more attached to the one in the box and will baby it more and try a bit more aggression on the other one and we'll all learn a lesson. Purpose of the thread right?

I also want to dig a couple three more this spring being more careful and selective.IMG_20210303_153047761.jpgIMG_20210303_151956199_HDR.jpg

Frozentreehugger

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Yes they can decline quick in the spring
If there dead . And don’t now it or repot failure
I notice that it is difficult transitioning and doing rather minor root work to tree’s that have been in a nursery pot for so long. That is with conifers. I do a lot of cuttings with my junipers and cupressus. I have left a branch out for over a month and it still rooted. I tend to agree the tree could have been dead before it showed signs of death. I’ve also noticed quick declines after a repot. I don’t think it’s coincidence sometimes also.
le

Frozentreehugger

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
This is the study group where we compare notes and learn about E Hemlock. Talk about root work has already surfaced so I'll post what I have in that regard, When I lifted my two, I was thrilled with the number of white small feeder roots. But, when I tried to clean off the field soil I soon discovered all those pretty white roots were weeds and I had very few good roots.

This is the first one. Looked good until I got out the chop stick.
View attachment 470310
So I kinda chickened out and left the core intact with too much sandy clayish river bottom dirt. I hope to clean this out soon but may wait another year. It's not been as vigorous as I'd like. Maybe still recovering or maybe needs the roots worked to be vigorous.? Chicken or the egg? I'm leaning toward a half clean out and go back for the other half later.

The second one I feel had even less roots under the weed ball. I simply cleaned a bit and plunked it in the grow bed/ground. I killed an amazing wild collected one my rookie year and still feel remorse.
This one in the ground seem to be healthy and produced a lot of cones.
These pics were both from early spring of 2021. Almost 2yrs ago.
View attachment 470311
This spring will be 2 yrs after a harsh collection. I want to pull this one out of the grow bed and considering chopping it down to a foot or less and try to make a smaller tree out of the base. I have a new leader wired up since day one.

I'm more attached to the one in the box and will baby it more and try a bit more aggression on the other one and we'll all learn a lesson. Purpose of the thread right?

I also want to dig a couple three more this spring being more careful and selective.View attachment 470318View attachment 470319
I was burnt with my great collected one . So I’m about the slow approach . People say you can bare root these nursery maybe I’ll find out . Part of the reason I’m getting nursery regular cultivar . But collected I have learned you got to get feeder roots they stretch out shallow . But up side both of yours are alive . I would go after the first one 1/2 I like that idea . They like moisture so one has to think the likelihood of rot rot in the poor original soil is not that much of a risk . Some repot these in the fall . I’m in to cold a zone I feel for that . But your warmer . 1/2 this spring if it responds well other 1/2 as soon as the fall leaves start to turn colour . My 2 cents better safe the. Sorry . The second one in the ground . I already recommended the chop . But I think I would give it time . Another year . As is fir better growth . When it’s healthy chop . Or get it out of the ground in a box this spring . And don’t chop until healthy . I would leave it . Go dig another out of the field this spring . Unsure if it helps but when I collect . All unused original soil and trimmed roots go in a barrel . Fill it with water . Stir it up occasionally . Water the tree with that for the first few times kind of last splash of watering

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I notice that it is difficult transitioning and doing rather minor root work to tree’s that have been in a nursery pot for so long. That is with conifers. I do a lot of cuttings with my junipers and cupressus. I have left a branch out for over a month and it still rooted. I tend to agree the tree could have been dead before it showed signs of death. I’ve also noticed quick declines after a repot. I don’t think it’s coincidence sometimes also.
Depot came through on an aggressive Spring repot. I was probably potted in pure mulch at various levels of decay+ fosmacote. She was super-vigorous. At no point in the process would I have called her difficult material.95A3364D-293F-4FB3-A16C-DEFA84681F4E.jpeg

I can’t say the same for the garden variety Literati I picked last summer. I knew it was weak, but turns out it was drowning in silt in its nursery pot. I put some bore holes through the pot and backfilled with pumice. With a prayer as to provide a snorkel to a struggling swimmer in a swift rip. I give 2/3 life/death odds if you fax me your crypto digits and feel like taking a chance.
7CC6820D-6DCF-4B0A-8703-E61AA105B0C9.jpeg502563C0-706D-42C3-9A30-5F27E99F27BB.jpeg

Attachments

• 847B6801-0740-4E4E-BFE0-822B24C5443A.jpeg
    847B6801-0740-4E4E-BFE0-822B24C5443A.jpeg
    187.6 KB · Views: 15

Frozentreehugger

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Really neat!!!

I can't wait to show you the crazy Hemlock from up on the UP border..

They get .. "shrinkage" of their foliage... It's bizarre
Like to see those . Would like to jump in the car and go collecting with you but that pesky international border and there . Rules Makes me laugh as my nursery guy says . All this effort for pest and disease control
Trees from nursery farms in the western USA . When all the same pests and disease are all in western Canada and no restrictions . The bio universe don’t know there is a border .

Frozentreehugger

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Are y
Depot came through on an aggressive Spring repot. I was probably potted in pure mulch at various levels of decay+ fosmacote. She was super-vigorous. At no point in the process would I have called her difficult material.View attachment 470388

I can’t say the same for the garden variety Literati I picked last summer. I knew it was weak, but turns out it was drowning in silt in its nursery pot. I put some bore holes through the pot and backfilled with pumice. With a prayer as to provide a snorkel to a struggling swimmer in a swift rip. I give 2/3 life/death odds if you fax me your crypto digits and feel like taking a chance.
View attachment 470390View attachment 470391
Are you going to try a repot in sicky in spring or leave it as is

Frozentreehugger

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Bargain plants are fun . We all can’t resist them . But it’s a dice roll . I’ve learned to really like my . Speciality nursery . Full of unique cultivars . Stuff is in very good health well taken care of . Lots say you can get common stuff cheaper elsewhere . But I’m a huge believer in supporting local small businesses . Always a positive . Next fall I will be able to pre order trees . Cultivars I want . And can’t get otherwise . If they were not supported . I would not have that opportunity . That and we spend years developing a tree . Start with healthy plants you want . Not what is available on sale . In 15 years will you even remember what you paid .

BrightsideB

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Bargain plants are fun . We all can’t resist them . But it’s a dice roll . I’ve learned to really like my . Speciality nursery . Full of unique cultivars . Stuff is in very good health well taken care of . Lots say you can get common stuff cheaper elsewhere . But I’m a huge believer in supporting local small businesses . Always a positive . Next fall I will be able to pre order trees . Cultivars I want . And can’t get otherwise . If they were not supported . I would not have that opportunity . That and we spend years developing a tree . Start with healthy plants you want . Not what is available on sale . In 15 years will you even remember what you paid .
I agree 💯. Also being apart of the American conifer society I get 10% discounts at a couple local nurseries. That works out well because one is large but isn’t corporate just a single nursery. I hope it stays that way.

Frozentreehugger

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I’m on the fence if the pumice could help build strength or if I need the emergency repot.
I think I would repot . It looks like it’s going down hill . So there is nothing to lose . Normally I would say give it time . But you know it’s in bad soil . And Losing health .

Frozentreehugger

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I agree 💯. Also being apart of the American conifer society I get 10% discounts at a couple local nurseries. That works out well because one is large but isn’t corporate just a single nursery. I hope it stays that way.
I’m a member also but no discount in Canada . But they do important work . We have less opportunity then you guys . Importation of live trees is a bitch red tape . Even bonsai stuff . International shipping is insane . Daughter gave me 2 bonsai books for x mass . Shipped anywhere in continental USA for 9 bucks . But 50 miles across the border was almost 3 times the price of the books

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
I’m a member also but no discount in Canada . But they do important work . We have less opportunity then you guys . Importation of live trees is a bitch red tape . Even bonsai stuff . International shipping is insane . Daughter gave me 2 bonsai books for x mass . Shipped anywhere in continental USA for 9 bucks . But 50 miles across the border was almost 3 times the price of the books

My situation is opposite ... I'm MISSING benefits for not living in Canada!

🤣🤣

BrightsideB

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
You missed out on my accidental free shipping policy to Canada with my pots lol. I know the costs for sure! But they do good work for sure! And their publications are really good reads!

Frozentreehugger

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I’ve been making them for a couple years but started selling them January 1st this year.
Some great stuff . Just thru Etsy or do you have a web sight . Interesting your here . Always liked shohin And mame. Trees . But thinking there not for me . Water schedule being one drawback . But that’s changing especially since . Dwarf tsuga seem so happy in small pots

Top Bottom