Tsuga Canadensis study group

BrightsideB

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Some great stuff . Just thru Etsy or do you have a web sight . Interesting your here . Always liked shohin And mame. Trees . But thinking there not for me . Water schedule being one drawback . But that’s changing especially since . Dwarf tsuga seem so happy in small pots
Thank you! Right now because of the simplicity it’s just Etsy but plan on expanding and doing more. Hopefully a blog etc. I really like the smaller bonsai as well. I am currently working on a bench that has drip irrigation on a timer that won’t cost much just some time to build with simple tools. Basically with a tote as a reservoir with organic liquid fertilizer framed with wood or something a like on a stand. The water will run through the pot and drain back in the reservoir. Through holes in the tote lid under the pots. Obscuring the view of the tote is what I’m trying to solve now primarily. I’m trying to keep it under $70 to water up to 25 tree’s. It was hard keeping my shohin watered last year. But they are a lot of fun! The dwarf tsuga’s cultivars are really cool! Which one’s do you have?

Japonicus

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I like golden varieties, including some hinoki.
This Everitts Golden has splendid bonsai characteristics with little to no weeping traits.
DSC_8727.JPG
DSC_8729.JPG

Took advantage of the timing @MrFancyPlants suggested, and did a little cut back on my 2 dwarfs today.

DSC_8719.JPG

DSC_8721.JPG
The red twisty denotes this was newly potted this last year.

DSC_8720.JPG
DSC_8723.JPG
The bottom right branch is sacrificial.
I'm posting this here as this is my 1st Winter cut back, and I am studying how the tree(s) respond.

Japonicus

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
This next dwarf is a true dwarf but not a miniature.
It is very top heavy and needs lots of correction in that area to shape a tree.
I'm starting out slow in my 1st reduction here, as I've learned with JWP that the
extra light on the interior can fry newly exposed growth. Due to that discovery and
loss with a nice JWP I am embracing caution here as I don't know if hemlock would
respond likewise.

I have a thread for this dwarf. Its cultivar name is Jeddeloh.

1675023429599.png
December 2020

DSC_8706.JPG

DSC_8709.JPG
Today Jan 2023 2 years later. It/they thrive(s) in pond baskets.

DSC_8710.JPG
There is a tuft of foliage near the crotch I want to cut back to.
It is easier to see in the next picture after a cut, but I am leaving growth beyond the intended cut back for now
to keep that branch alive. The small amount of needles would/may not sustain this size a branch, so the
intended cut back will happen another year when it is capable of sustaining that size a branch.
If it were crotch growth it would be fine to remove the branch it is growing on I believe.
DSC_8711.JPG

DSC_8712.JPG
This is the size of cuts I made today to let some light in.
DSC_8715.JPG

DSC_8717.JPG
Jeddeloh is quite a bit more fine and wimpy than the Everitts, and it has more movement in the trunk
if you check out the thread on it. It's just planted deeper in the substrate which is hiding that bow in the trunk.
Hoping my mid Winters cuts prove beneficial. Can't wait till the July thinning now :)

Frozentreehugger

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thank you! Right now because of the simplicity it’s just Etsy but plan on expanding and doing more. Hopefully a blog etc. I really like the smaller bonsai as well. I am currently working on a bench that has drip irrigation on a timer that won’t cost much just some time to build with simple tools. Basically with a tote as a reservoir with organic liquid fertilizer framed with wood or something a like on a stand. The water will run through the pot and drain back in the reservoir. Through holes in the tote lid under the pots. Obscuring the view of the tote is what I’m trying to solve now primarily. I’m trying to keep it under $70 to water up to 25 tree’s. It was hard keeping my shohin watered last year. But they are a lot of fun! The dwarf tsuga’s cultivars are really cool! Which one’s do you have?
I like the drip idea . Was thinking will need something like that . Post sone pics when you have it built . Dwarf cultivars. I have 3 coles prostrate . Pics in this thread . It’s a prostrate version . Semi weeping foliage . 1 3 gallon and 2 1 quart . I have 1 Betty rose . 1 quart . Hope to get more this spring . I really like that one . One of the slowest growing true dwarf cultivars . They are upright growing with crazy tight growing small foliage . Apparently the new growth comes out almost white in the spring . Then turns dark green . Got them all last year to Kate to repot . The Betty are apparently hard to propagate . Thinking of a shahid forest if I can get more

Frozentreehugger

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I'm starting out slow in my 1st reduction here, as I've learned with JWP that the
extra light on the interior can fry newly exposed growth. Due to that discovery and
loss with a nice JWP I am embracing caution here as I don't know if hemlock would
respond likewise.

View attachment 470467
December 2020

View attachment 470469

View attachment 470471

View attachment 470472
It is easier to see in the next picture after a cut, but I am leaving growth beyond the intended cut back for now
to keep that branch alive. The small amount of needles would/may not sustain this size a branch, so the
intended cut back will happen another year when it is capable of sustaining that size a branch.
If it were crotch growth it would be fine to remove the branch it is growing on I believe.
View attachment 470473

View attachment 470474
View attachment 470476

View attachment 470477
Jeddeloh is quite a bit more fine and wimpy than the Everitts, and it has more movement in the trunk
if you check out the thread on it. It's just planted deeper in the substrate which is hiding that bow in the trunk.
Hoping my mid Winters cuts prove beneficial. Can't wait till the July thinning now :)
Very nice been following these already . You guys are making me Depressed . My trees are all froze in storage . Don’t take this wrong way it’s a personal thing . Living up here . I can’t relate to the gold foliage stuff . To many conifers get ugly foliage colour I. Winter and or have die off . I like the green stuff . But yours is nice . 👍👍 your Jeddeloh. Is. Looking great I see what you mean about getting bushy . Just for info this is a long time we’ll known cultivar . You will often see hemlock listed in lesser nurseries ir stores as bird best hemlock . That’s jeddeloh most of the time . Glad your here . Great info like the pond basket . Was wondering if they would like it

Japonicus

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Very nice been following these already . You guys are making me Depressed . My trees are all froze in storage . Don’t take this wrong way it’s a personal thing . Living up here . I can’t relate to the gold foliage stuff . To many conifers get ugly foliage colour I. Winter and or have die off . I like the green stuff . But yours is nice . 👍👍 your Jeddeloh. Is. Looking great I see what you mean about getting bushy . Just for info this is a long time we’ll known cultivar . You will often see hemlock listed in lesser nurseries ir stores as bird best hemlock . That’s jeddeloh most of the time . Glad your here . Great info like the pond basket . Was wondering if they would like it
Thanks, I know gold or variegated foliage is often frowned on in the hobby.
The later in the season, the less gold on the Everitts, while the Golden Splendor
finishes the year off with all the more gold and little green to be seen.

I think these guys would do fine in Anderson flats too once root work has begun
(after initial transplantings, or HBR's are complete). My understanding is that
(forgive me if I've already mentioned this) younger tsuga take to footwork more readily.
Using this deeper pond basket, I feel more confident changing the soil than in a shallow flat.
Then I would feel more confident moving forwards with a flat, grow box, or a more shallow pot,
once bonsai soil type is more prominent.

Frozentreehugger

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thanks, I know gold or variegated foliage is often frowned on in the hobby.
The later in the season, the less gold on the Everitts, while the Golden Splendor
finishes the year off with all the more gold and little green to be seen.

I think these guys would do fine in Anderson flats too once root work has begun
(after initial transplantings, or HBR's are complete). My understanding is that
(forgive me if I've already mentioned this) younger tsuga take to footwork more readily.
Using this deeper pond basket, I feel more confident changing the soil than in a shallow flat.
Then I would feel more confident moving forwards with a flat, grow box, or a more shallow pot,
once bonsai soil type is more prominent.
I think the gold colour is actually very nice . Just not sure it’s for me as I said . The gold tinted thuja are all the rage . According to my fav nursery . And what I see in gardens . I’m not a real follow the crowd kind of bonsai enthusiast. Non of us are who have tsuga . Especially eastern . So what the majority think does not matter to me . I can see where yours would be striking on a bench of green . Brings up interesting ideas for pot choice . I agree with you about tsuga roots . I have only lost Wild trees . Some think tsuga are difficult root wise . But that’s why we are here to help each other . Overcome . There unique nature . Funny you bring up Anderson flats. Have just come to a solid wall trying to get some . Exchange if messages all this week . Basically they have 2 companies that supply Canada . One has multiple stores they deal with in the east . But there is no stock in Canada and none coming from Anderson until next fall . Only supplier I can find is in Oregon and shipping is insane .

Frozentreehugger

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Listed growth rates of . Dwarfs we have . Everett 3 to 4 inches a year . Jeddeloh and coles prostrate 3 to 5 inches a year Betty rose 1 to 3 inches golden splendour not a dwarf 12 to 15 inches unless I got wrong tree

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Depot is looking good! He seems comfortable. I’ll pray for your other one. You never know miracles happen!
Comfortable.. I like it. Thank you.
I haven’t used a bit of wire on it. There was an attempt with a zip tie, but it didn’t really work out.

Frozentreehugger

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
My situation is opposite ... I'm MISSING benefits for not living in Canada!

🤣🤣
I assume you mean health benefits .. not to get to political but don’t covet what you don’t have . The grass is not always greener on the other side . We pay crazy taxes for our health care . And service is terrible . Wait times for tests and procedures is insane . Our system is as broken as the one in the USA . The difference is I pay a lot for shit . You get shit for free . 😂😂😂😂😂🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
I assume you mean health benefits .. not to get to political but don’t covet what you don’t have . The grass is not always greener on the other side . We pay crazy taxes for our health care . And service is terrible . Wait times for tests and procedures is insane . Our system is as broken as the one in the USA . The difference is I pay a lot for shit . You get shit for free . 😂😂😂😂😂🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️

I mean Indigenous Nations Benefits! ;)

My people are from Canada... Not recognized in the US.

Actually, our public health care and "po'folks" benefits are pretty decent in Wisconsin, I hear it's one of the best states to be "poor" in. I was not complaining about that. 🤣

I can go to the doctor anytime, for any reason.... I DON'T abuse the system... But it is nice to know it is there.

Frozentreehugger

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I mean Indigenous Nations Benefits! ;)

My people are from Canada... Not recognized in the US.

Actually, our public health care and "po'folks" benefits are pretty decent in Wisconsin, I hear it's one of the best states to be "poor" in. I was not complaining about that. 🤣

I can go to the doctor anytime, for any reason.... I DON'T abuse the system... But it is nice to know it is there.
Indigenous people have a lot of rights in Canada . Unfortunately we have also abused . Indigenous people to great extent .

Frozentreehugger

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
respond likewise.

View attachment 470467
December 2020

View attachment 470469

View attachment 470471

View attachment 470472
View attachment 470473

View attachment 470474
View attachment 470476

View attachment 470477
Was just looking at your cultivar . Was not aware it is that prostrate a grower . Considering how upright yours is . Have you suppressed it from growing horizontally . Just curious what the plan is

Attachments

• 44E1C9CF-F6D1-4A7D-8391-E3164547F74D.png
    44E1C9CF-F6D1-4A7D-8391-E3164547F74D.png
    135.3 KB · Views: 7

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Indigenous people have a lot of rights in Canada . Unfortunately we have also abused . Indigenous people to great extent .

I doubt you partook.. or partake in any of said atrocities, personally.

My guess is that MOST living people aren't that responsible..

We are just evolving, as a world.

Humankind now, knows more about itself than it EVER did.

🤓

I always use this anecdote....

As a child, an interracial, gay couple holding hands on the street would be enough to send the adults in my little church/school/cult into a frenzied rage... (Even somewhat my parents ((minus the race part)))

Their ignorance and rigidity will die with them.

My kids wouldn't look/think twice.

🤓

It's up to US!

Frozentreehugger

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Was just looking at your cultivar . Was not aware it is that prostrate a grower . Considering how upright yours is . Have you suppressed it from growing horizontally . Just curious what the plan is
I should not have used the word prostrate . Not accurate . Most info in the cultivar refer to it as a mound . Where it is 1/3 to 1/2 wider than it is tall .

Frozentreehugger

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I doubt you partook.. or partake in any of said atrocities, personally.

My guess is that MOST living people aren't that responsible..

We are just evolving, as a world.

Humankind now, knows more about itself than it EVER did.

🤓

I always use this anecdote....

As a child, an interracial, gay couple holding hands on the street would be enough to send the adults in my little church/school/cult into a frenzied rage... (Even somewhat my parents ((minus the race part)))

Their ignorance and rigidity will die with them.

My kids wouldn't look/think twice.

🤓

It's up to US!
My wife worked in a building down town Ottawa for 15 years . The 2 floors below her were head offices . Of aboriginal leadership for all of Canada . The exploitation of aboriginals extends to there own leaders . Biggest deal is they control what and where the money goes from the federal government . .

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
My wife worked in a building down town Ottawa for 15 years . The 2 floors below her were head offices . Of aboriginal leadership for all of Canada . The exploitation of aboriginals extends to there own leaders . Biggest deal is they control what and where the money goes from the federal government . .
I can definitely believe that!

WinstonWolfe

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4-5
Really neat!!!

I can't wait to show you the crazy Hemlock from up on the UP border..

They get .. "shrinkage" of their foliage... It's bizarre
I've collected multiple with "shrinkage". Its all I've ever known, so id didn't look foreign, but compared to the warmer climes its so much smaller and dense.

Top Bottom