Tsuga Canadensis study group

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
I've collected multiple with "shrinkage". Its all I've ever known, so id didn't look foreign, but compared to the warmer climes its so much smaller and dense.
Yes! Thank you!

Hearing this from another source means I'm not just "seeing things"

šŸ¤£šŸ¤£

Oconto County seems to be the transition area.

Because HERE... on the Door/Kewaunee Border, the are larger...

But at the property in Crivitz... They are compact.

šŸ¤“

Japonicus

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I should not have used the word prostrate . Not accurate . Most info in the cultivar refer to it as a mound . Where it is 1/3 to 1/2 wider than it is tall .
No worries, thanks for the correction though.
Well, not really, I haven't made any corrections there yet
but did elude to the fact that it will take a lot of correction to style it to look like a tree.

As far as a plan is concerned, I'll have to see as it grows out,
but 1st I had to let some light in.
Much more needed, but I don't want to fry the interior foliage, so steady as it goes.
I'm hoping to see how tall it will grow while I'm working on exposing interior growth.
Then later, cut back to Shohin perhaps, as the trunk won't be very "beefy".

WinstonWolfe

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4-5
Yes! Thank you!

Hearing this from another source means I'm not just "seeing things"

šŸ¤£šŸ¤£

Oconto County seems to be the transition area.

Because HERE... on the Door/Kewaunee Border, the are larger...

But at the property in Crivitz... They are compact.

šŸ¤“
I'm in Marquette co, right on Lake Superior. I think the snow volume has a lot to do with it. Maybe it helps them conserve energy through the long winter? Less susceptible to snow load breakage? just spitballing.

Whatever the cause, I really like it.

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
I'm in Marquette co, right on Lake Superior. I think the snow volume has a lot to do with it. Maybe it helps them conserve energy through the long winter? Less susceptible to snow load breakage? just spitballing.

Whatever the cause, I really like it.

I'm about a snowball's throw to Lake Michigan, going east from Green bay to the Lakeshore..

And even HERE... in the windier dune areas and inland... I notice a huge variance in Spruce needles, too...

The ones that are more "exposed" to the wind, are shorter and more blunt...

This has caused me to missidentify many times during my first 2 years!!

Frozentreehugger

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
No worries, thanks for the correction though.
Well, not really, I haven't made any corrections there yet
but did elude to the fact that it will take a lot of correction to style it to look like a tree.

As far as a plan is concerned, I'll have to see as it grows out,
but 1st I had to let some light in.
Much more needed, but I don't want to fry the interior foliage, so steady as it goes.
I'm hoping to see how tall it will grow while I'm working on exposing interior growth.
Then later, cut back to Shohin perhaps, as the trunk won't be very "beefy".
Have you considered . Work the spreading nature . Iā€™m thinking sacrificial branches . While the Centre . Is trained into the bonsai

Frozentreehugger

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
My specialty nursery new spring . Inventory .but this years budget there is more then spent . But we will see . Note canā€™t get pic to load but I think the ACS is trying to imply the pic of tree beside a stone is the original plant

Attachments

• 5363BF41-F1BA-4AF3-AA94-2D385CE83ABF.png
    5363BF41-F1BA-4AF3-AA94-2D385CE83ABF.png
    44.1 KB · Views: 30

Frozentreehugger

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I'm about a snowball's throw to Lake Michigan, going east from Green bay to the Lakeshore..

And even HERE... in the windier dune areas and inland... I notice a huge variance in Spruce needles, too...

The ones that are more "exposed" to the wind, are shorter and more blunt...

This has caused me to missidentify many times during my first 2 years!!
Very interesting to both of you . Post pics . There very cold hardy . But not known to tolerate wind exposure . Especially I. Winter Lake Superior.šŸ¤·ā€ā™‚ļøšŸ¤·ā€ā™‚ļøšŸ¤·ā€ā™‚ļøšŸ¤·ā€ā™‚ļø Consider there are over 300 named cultivars .
Some with interesting dwarf foliage . Most cultivars are found not man created . Just another interesting part of this tree .

WinstonWolfe

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4-5
Very interesting to both of you . Post pics . There very cold hardy . But not known to tolerate wind exposure . Especially I. Winter Lake Superior.šŸ¤·ā€ā™‚ļøšŸ¤·ā€ā™‚ļøšŸ¤·ā€ā™‚ļøšŸ¤·ā€ā™‚ļø Consider there are over 300 named cultivars .
Some with interesting dwarf foliage . Most cultivars are found not man created . Just another interesting part of this tree .
I'll get pics after mine wake up for the season... assuming they do wake up. I tried a new winterizing technique this season and am expecting a couple casualties. Currently -19 F with wind chill

Frozentreehugger

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I'll get pics after mine wake up for the season... assuming they do wake up. I tried a new winterizing technique this season and am expecting a couple casualties. Currently -19 F with wind chill
How long ago did you collect them . Reason I ask is can you keep the small foliage in cultivation or is new growth normal . ( in less harsh conditions ) seen this lots with thuja

WinstonWolfe

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4-5
How long ago did you collect them . Reason I ask is can you keep the small foliage in cultivation or is new growth normal . ( in less harsh conditions ) seen this lots with thuja
This will be the 5th season since collection. I expect it to be a banger. Last season was repot, but all new growth continues to be similar size, spacing, color, shape. Perhaps a little more elongating between internodes? Even after 5 years, I still feel like I'm learning the trees tendencies. After the repot, it was super slow to wake up, so last year wasn't the most productive.

Japonicus

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
My specialty nursery new spring . Inventory .but this years budget there is more then spent . But we will see . Note canā€™t get pic to load but I think the ACS is trying to imply the pic of tree beside a stone is the original plant
That's curious where it was discovered šŸ˜€
I used to play in a cemetery near our home. Ride bikes, sleigh ride,
throw snowballs at cars (never at head stones), spelunking through the storm drain with a pack of cigs.

This one did have that well pronounced funnel in the top of it.
Could never get it to show well in pictures though, even with the DSLR.

Frozentreehugger

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
That's curious where it was discovered šŸ˜€
I used to play in a cemetery near our home. Ride bikes, sleigh ride,
throw snowballs at cars (never at head stones), spelunking through the storm drain with a pack of cigs.

This one did have that well pronounced funnel in the top of it.
Could never get it to show well in pictures though, even with the DSLR.
Iā€™m getting more and more . Curious Canadensis. Has way more cultivars . Than other hemlocks by a large margin . Plus majority are discovered . Not man created . Leading to curiosity. The more I research the more . Cultivars seem to be discovered that were obvious . Landscape planted . Cultivars are found in the wild also . So what leads to all the unique trees . Itā€™s not like say pines where there all multiple species in a area . That cross . šŸ¤·ā€ā™‚ļøšŸ¤·ā€ā™‚ļøšŸ¤·ā€ā™‚ļøšŸ¤·ā€ā™‚ļøšŸ¤·ā€ā™‚ļø . Not to mention for a tree that donā€™t like the wind and struggles in harsh growing conditions . ( except cold ) whatā€™s with all the dwarf cultivars . Out of a tree that naturally grows very large

Frozentreehugger

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
So I could not resist any longer . I drank the Ryan Neal cool aid . And subscribed to Mirai . Watching a hemlock repotting vid . It is a western mountain hemlock . But he says this is true of all hemlock . There difficulty and sensitivity to root work . Is all about timing . In spring watch the back buds along a branch . The tips will turn white . ( may be slightly other colour on different species) when the tips just start to turn green . Itā€™s go time you have 7 to 10 days . Once a year to do root work . You can actually be aggressive with reduction . There finicky donā€™t like root work . Can all be traced to work outside this window . So he says šŸ¤·ā€ā™‚ļøšŸ¤·ā€ā™‚ļøšŸ¤·ā€ā™‚ļøšŸ¤·ā€ā™‚ļøšŸ˜ŽšŸ˜ŽšŸ˜ŽšŸ˜ŽšŸ˜ŽšŸ˜ŽšŸ˜Ž

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
So I could not resist any longer . I drank the Ryan Neal cool aid . And subscribed to Mirai . Watching a hemlock repotting vid . It is a western mountain hemlock . But he says this is true of all hemlock . There difficulty and sensitivity to root work . Is all about timing . In spring watch the back buds along a branch . The tips will turn white . ( may be slightly other colour on different species) when the tips just start to turn green . Itā€™s go time you have 7 to 10 days . Once a year to do root work . You can actually be aggressive with reduction . There finicky donā€™t like root work . Can all be traced to work outside this window . So he says šŸ¤·ā€ā™‚ļøšŸ¤·ā€ā™‚ļøšŸ¤·ā€ā™‚ļøšŸ¤·ā€ā™‚ļøšŸ˜ŽšŸ˜ŽšŸ˜ŽšŸ˜ŽšŸ˜ŽšŸ˜ŽšŸ˜Ž
I just read similar info from Mirai from the cheap side of the paywall (Iā€™m not criticizing, if anything a little jealous as there is sure to be tons of good material on there). It has been waffling on repotting Depot from the Anderson flat. I had decided to wait another year, but then was thinking I could repot back into the flat but only shallower to get it ready for the new pot. Depot has been dynamite from a vigor perspective since day one; I think I could safely repot in one go, but ā€œdiscretion is the better part of valor,ā€ is what my pops used to tell me.
One more thing about the Mirai methods that stuck out to me after the publicly available (fantastic video) ā€œ2nd repotting of a ponderosaā€ Neil was negative towards Anderson Flats and Half Bare Rooting, but he rarely deals with developing material, so I think the perspective is more for getting Yamadori show ready.
I am going to try the ā€œtop downā€ method on my weak Literati Tsuga this spring for sure.

PerryB

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7B
I just read similar info from Mirai from the cheap side of the paywall (Iā€™m not criticizing, if anything a little jealous as there is sure to be tons of good material on there). It has been waffling on repotting Depot from the Anderson flat. I had decided to wait another year, but then was thinking I could repot back into the flat but only shallower to get it ready for the new pot. Depot has been dynamite from a vigor perspective since day one; I think I could safely repot in one go, but ā€œdiscretion is the better part of valor,ā€ is what my pops used to tell me.
One more thing about the Mirai methods that stuck out to me after the publicly available (fantastic video) ā€œ2nd repotting of a ponderosaā€ Neil was negative towards Anderson Flats and Half Bare Rooting, but he rarely deals with developing material, so I think the perspective is more for getting Yamadori show ready.
I am going to try the ā€œtop downā€ method on my weak Literati Tsuga this spring for sure.
Your pops was quoting Shakespeare!
It's actually slightly different than the way Billy Boy wrote it, but "Discretion is the better part of valor" is the usual way people say it. It's in the play Henry IV, Part 1, and the line is spoken by Falstaff who's big drunken buffoon explaining how brave he had been to pretend to be dead rather than fight in battle.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Your pops was quoting Shakespeare!
It's actually slightly different than the way Billy Boy wrote it, but "Discretion is the better part of valor" is the usual way people say it. It's in the play Henry IV, Part 1, and the line is spoken by Falstaff who's big drunken buffoon explaining how brave he had been to pretend to be dead rather than fight in battle.
Yes, pops quoted ole Willy most of the time when he paraphrased. Reminds me of a subsequent Hal, with ā€œThe Kingā€ with Chalamet. I loved that movie; Iā€™m not much into action flicks, but you canā€™t go wrong with ā€˜King Stabbyā€™ hitting out of his weight class.

Frozentreehugger

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
My crap small town internet donā€™t want me to upload pics . Again today . Info from the repot . The tree was bent and prostrate collected from a bog on . Vancouver island Recovered for 8 years . In very organic soil . Tree was repotted into a round semi cascade pot . Very large old tree . Ryan said he never bare roots hemlock . But he did aggressively comb out the roots . Leaving only very small amount of original soil near the base . He did not trim the roots . Other than what came off with the chop sticks . ( it was a aggressive size reduction and angle change ) standing the tree on end . He commented. Hemlock responds very well . To working one end and not the other . Ie when repotting donā€™t trim the top . And the opposite one end will push the other . Made a point of very careful chop sticking in new soil is very important . Delicate roots but must remove all air pockets . Compost is 3/1/1 Akadama.lava pumice . Allowing slightly smaller particles 1/16 . Answered question about the Akadama Stating the trees love water . Never withhold water and let the tree dry out will halt growth .but primary reason for the large amount of Akadama is itā€™s breakdown into smaller particles . Is important for refined growth . Claiming this is why the trees also respond to other organic matter in larger quantities than other conifers . Stated on a question about eastern hemlock . That western has easier back budding and more heat tolerance . But all the North American hemlocks are under used gems . Needs careful watering canā€™t dry out but also beware of heavy spring rain after repotting Guys becoming a subscriber was the right move for myself . Iā€™m a fan of Ryan and his belief in native trees . And his style .will gladly pass on hemlock info . Looks like there are about 5 to 10 vids . I only have the basic subscription so I lack the ability to ask questions during the live stream . And no access to the top forum both of which are basically his students.

Frozentreehugger

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
One thing guys . In a recent vid on his YouTube channel . David Easterbrook . For those that donā€™t know . David is former curator of the bonsai collection at the Montreal botonical gardens . Teacher lecturer and long time bonsai enthusiast. Heavily respected . Anywhere especially in the east of North America . In the vid he tours Miria with david Degroot and talks with Ryan . He mentions to Ryan that the western hemlocks . Do not do well in Quebec . They discuss this . Talking about trees adapted to a climate Mention other western species are similar . But hemlock especially . David says they grow but donā€™t thrive . David is about 1.5 hours straight east of my place . As a mentor of mine . And a very glass is 1/2 full positive energy . Especially about bonsai . Guy I know him well enough that if he said something that negative you can take it to the bank . @MrFancyPlants Ryan is not negative to Anderson flats . He has a vid on containers and there use . In bonsai he does say that they are mis used by a lot of people . Saying they are poor if you move trees a lot as ther flimsy . And move the root ball to much . They are best on the ground . Where roots can escape and water can get the advantage of ground water gravity fir drainage .

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I picked up running again recently and noticed some canadensis on my route. They looked like yews from a distance but I saw some cones on one and had to investigate. Tiny cones on this one, it must be a diminutive variety. I couldnā€™t help but grab some cones even though I have 0% success rate with germination.
The white stuff doesnā€™t look like adelgid that I have seen. There was a lot of white lichen on the trunk.

Attachments

• 5F488415-FA9B-4322-BD98-19052265F365.jpeg
    5F488415-FA9B-4322-BD98-19052265F365.jpeg
    473.2 KB · Views: 30
  • E7DFF46B-0130-4AED-8C9E-6D82E8C2BE37.jpeg
    E7DFF46B-0130-4AED-8C9E-6D82E8C2BE37.jpeg
    341.4 KB · Views: 31
  • 03AB560E-F6CB-4E1C-A280-CEEA54AB4A38.jpeg
    03AB560E-F6CB-4E1C-A280-CEEA54AB4A38.jpeg
    250.2 KB · Views: 29
  • A7E660BA-C11B-4140-95B8-1AA22A09CB05.jpeg
    A7E660BA-C11B-4140-95B8-1AA22A09CB05.jpeg
    129.9 KB · Views: 28

Frozentreehugger

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I picked up running again recently and noticed some canadensis on my route. They looked like yews from a distance but I saw some cones on one and had to investigate. Tiny cones on this one, it must be a diminutive variety. I couldnā€™t help but grab some cones even though I have 0% success rate with germination.
The white stuff doesnā€™t look like adelgid that I have seen. There was a lot of white lichen on the trunk.
Cones look normal to me . I have never tried to germinate . Dirr says it can be difficult best to strat for 2 to 4 months . I have never seen the Adelgid . Hopefully it is to cold here . And or it has not spread this far north yet . I am curious it looks suspicious to me at the base of leaves . If not what do you think it is . I admit it dies not seem wooly enough šŸ¤·ā€ā™‚ļøšŸ¤·ā€ā™‚ļøšŸ¤·ā€ā™‚ļøšŸ¤·ā€ā™‚ļø

Top Bottom