Tsuga Canadensis study group

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Cones look normal to me . I have never tried to germinate . Dirr says it can be difficult best to strat for 2 to 4 months . I have never seen the Adelgid . Hopefully it is to cold here . And or it has not spread this far north yet . I am curious it looks suspicious to me at the base of leaves . If not what do you think it is . I admit it dies not seem wooly enough 🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️
I think might be lichen or another pest?

PerryB

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7B
I picked up running again recently and noticed some canadensis on my route. They looked like yews from a distance but I saw some cones on one and had to investigate. Tiny cones on this one, it must be a diminutive variety. I couldn’t help but grab some cones even though I have 0% success rate with germination.
The white stuff doesn’t look like adelgid that I have seen. There was a lot of white lichen on the trunk.
I grew up with hemlock all around (mountains of NC) and those cones look very typical.
I Googled "wooly adelgid" and the photos look exactly like what you posted. I'm on the Virginia side of DC and in my long established woody neighborhood we have lost every Tsuga Canadensis. It's my favorite (full sized) tree on the East coast, but I guess it's gone the way of American chestnuts and elms.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8 b
I thought about my little hemlock and putting it on this thread . The first time I repotted it from a nursery pot it sulked forever . Cracked trunk and a lot of issues . I just repotted it into this small pot and we will see how it develops from here . I enjoy this tree even though others may not lol .

Attachments

• hemlock new pot 2.jpg
    hemlock new pot 2.jpg
    245.3 KB · Views: 41
  • hemlocl new pot top.jpg
    hemlocl new pot top.jpg
    338.1 KB · Views: 31

Frozentreehugger

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I thought about my little hemlock and putting it on this thread . The first time I repotted it from a nursery pot it sulked forever . Cracked trunk and a lot of issues . I just repotted it into this small pot and we will see how it develops from here . I enjoy this tree even though others may not lol .
Nice what is it . Considering your location . I assume it’s western or mountain hemlock plus the foliage don’t look correct for eastern

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
@Lazylightningny

Do you have an update on (the linked post)? I feel like that first branch could be brought way down.

Frozentreehugger

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I may have found the cold tolerance capabilities of . EH the pics are from last summer the small pots are Betty rose and coles prostrate cultivars pots are 3 inch purchased to late last year to repot out of the nursery soil . Over wintered with all my other stuff zone 4 dark un heated garage . Both are not responding well to sun this spring some needle drop especially at end of branches . Other hemlock in 2 and 3 gallon cans are fine . In a Miria vid on hardiness Ryan Neal states it’s really about root ball mass . Trees in small pots . And smaller sized bonsai . Need more winter protection , looks like I’m learning that . These are the first conifers that small a root mass I have tried to overwinter . Was planning to get more . Anyway so if they live or not will beef up next winter

Attachments

• 70AD29B9-EF5B-45B3-9102-5BB43AD8B690.png
    70AD29B9-EF5B-45B3-9102-5BB43AD8B690.png
    228.3 KB · Views: 16
  • 7BA4154C-2EEB-4E0D-B374-85A80693EE28.png
    7BA4154C-2EEB-4E0D-B374-85A80693EE28.png
    96.6 KB · Views: 23
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Depot is moving earlier than most years, it is usually a few weeks behind its siblings, but this year, one week at most. The good news is tons of buds. I probably could have safely moved to the Yixing pot this past Spring, but discretion is the better part of valor.
I am wondering if I should do some bud selection and simplification this spring?
The habit is so dense on this one other than the weaker cascading branches (not to be confused with the strong cascading branches, as it has both)

Attachments

• IMG_6461.jpeg
    IMG_6461.jpeg
    323.3 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_6459.jpeg
    IMG_6459.jpeg
    404.7 KB · Views: 27

Frozentreehugger

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Depot is moving earlier than most years, it is usually a few weeks behind its siblings, but this year, one week at most. The good news is tons of buds. I probably could have safely moved to the Yixing pot this past Spring, but discretion is the better part of valor.
I am wondering if I should do some bud selection and simplification this spring?
The habit is so dense on this one other than the weaker cascading branches (not to be confused with the strong cascading branches, as it has both)
My first thought is . This is exactly why hemlock responds so well to long repots . The vigorous activity . Could be used to continue . Development. In the container . But take advantage . And repot it into the great container . It’s go time bro

Leprous Garden

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I picked up running again recently and noticed some canadensis on my route. They looked like yews from a distance but I saw some cones on one and had to investigate. Tiny cones on this one, it must be a diminutive variety. I couldn’t help but grab some cones even though I have 0% success rate with germination.
The white stuff doesn’t look like adelgid that I have seen. There was a lot of white lichen on the trunk.
This is almost definitely adelgid. It should be fuzzy, kind of like mealy bugs. Treating it is probably not hard in a pot, but quite problematic for a full size tree.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
This is almost definitely adelgid. It should be fuzzy, kind of like mealy bugs. Treating it is probably not hard in a pot, but quite problematic for a full size tree.
Yes, I have checked in on it more recently and it looks much worse and more adelgidic. Fortunately not my trees, but I do have to be wary since it is endemic.

Frozentreehugger

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
It’s my understanding that so far . The adelgid. Is as far north as southern Ontario . Zone 6 parts ar zone 5 . The cold of zone 4 seems to be holding the bug at bay . My cottage is 1 hour north of Kingston Ontario . At the border with New York . The forest is full of hemlock . They seem to be somewhat on decline but there is no adelgid . According to the government there is uncertainty as to cause of the decline . ( pollution . Heat loss of habitat . ) sugar maple is in the same boat

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Big question for the Tsuga c. Folks out there: We are considering a move to coastal South Carolina. Do you think my Hemlocks can hack it? I think it is outside their range, but might that mean the seeds wouldn’t germinate, but the trees could do ok. Maybe the coastal area won’t get too hot for them. I feel like a wintering fridge with humidifier is overkill and I may have to re-home.

Frozentreehugger

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Big question for the Tsuga c. Folks out there: We are considering a move to coastal South Carolina. Do you think my Hemlocks can hack it? I think it is outside their range, but might that mean the seeds wouldn’t germinate, but the trees could do ok. Maybe the coastal area won’t get too hot for them. I feel like a wintering fridge with humidifier is overkill and I may have to re-home.
Interesting question . Considering there is a Carolina version of the tree . I think
The heat of summer will be more of a concern . They don’t like to be over 90 d/f for long . Especially in the sun . Be interesting to see if you could reverse there . Natural growth . Pattern . Go dormant in the heat of summer in the shade and grow them in the cooler winter . Might be a experiment . But conventional I don’t believe they actually need that much cold . Shade in heat of summer lots of water . And I think I would go full dark maybe a basement or root cellar arrangement for winter . I have heard they will loss inner growth in the heat

Frozentreehugger

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Looks like my mini cultivars are going to live . There all budding . They look a little scruffy . Lost some inner growth . May still lose a coles . But the Betty rose survived the best . They are getting repotted tomorrow and will have more soil mass for next winter . Im mist likely going to revive . A winter set up I used . Years ago on a apartment balcony . I have a 4x5 foot box plywood insulated with foam . About 2 feet deep . Fill it with soil and used frozen pipe preventing heat cables . In the soil . The plastic top I made for it is gone . But it is going in my winter storage , I have been reluctant so far . As any heat source . When it’s -25c outside will attract rodents , but that can be dealt with . The idea will be to burry all small pots in the soil . .

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Interesting question . Considering there is a Carolina version of the tree . I think
The heat of summer will be more of a concern . They don’t like to be over 90 d/f for long . Especially in the sun . Be interesting to see if you could reverse there . Natural growth . Pattern . Go dormant in the heat of summer in the shade and grow them in the cooler winter . Might be a experiment . But conventional I don’t believe they actually need that much cold . Shade in heat of summer lots of water . And I think I would go full dark maybe a basement or root cellar arrangement for winter . I have heard they will loss inner growth in the heat
I was thinking a drip irrigation during the summer (ice cubes?) There is no basement. I do have the LED tank setup for the tropicals. I would have to modify in a major way for pseudo winter. Chest freezer / thermostat etc.

I don’t know. I have some family that I could leave the important ones with and try out with some sample smaller ones. But leaving with others is a big risk too.

Top Bottom