Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
I don't know beans from horse radish about Mt. Hemlock but it looks to me like the growth needs a bit more light.

parhamr

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
@Vance Wood i see what you're saying so I just took another look at the tree. That specific branch is a bit light in color and fortunately it's the only one like it on the tree. I think it had been shaded by upper foliage earlier this season (which also might relate to the prolific new budding). The rest of the tree that has been fully exposed to sun is looking like a richly dark, forest green.

The recent foliage photo does make the condition of that branch look a bit off, but I think most of that is a visual trick from the glossiness of those needles.

I appreciate your sharp eye!

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
I was more concerned about the openness of the needles. Most Hemlock I have seen seem to be much tighter, other than that the tree seems really healthy.

ghues

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I would say there is a 90% chance this is a Western Hemlock (Tsuga heterophylla) and not a Mountain Hemlock (Tsuga mertensiana).
Stomata, tree shape, and growth habit are wrong.
I have never heard of a hybrid between the two.
The good news is that either one will do fine in Portland!

Both species can make great specimens and they thrive for us lucky enough to live in the PNW.
Just a FYI;
There are hybrids of the two within the ecotone ......which is the transition between the biogeoclimatic sub zones that are grow in. The aforementioned description is from a formal classification system that has been developed for all of British Columbias forests.....based on soils, elevation, zones of similar environmental conditions....etc. Working in the forest industry here for 40 years I've seen lots of hemlock hybrids....the cones are (as one would guess) are much larger than western but shorter than mountain.
Cheers G.

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
If you could it would be of great help if you were to compile pictures and information about the trees.

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Anything you or anyone else with experience with this species is willing or able to contribute. This would be very useful. Many native species go unattended in bonsai simply because no one knows much about them and most don't want to take the kind of time it takes to figure this stuff out. If native species become popular perhaps the nursery trade will take up the tree into cultivation. If that happens horizons broaden.

Giga

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
Anything you or anyone else with experience with this species is willing or able to contribute. This would be very useful. Many native species go unattended in bonsai simply because no one knows much about them and most don't want to take the kind of time it takes to figure this stuff out. If native species become popular perhaps the nursery trade will take up the tree into cultivation. If that happens horizons broaden.

yes - loblolly ,american beech, mulberry, red maple etc...

ghues

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Hey Vance and others........For those interested in west coast Hemlocks....I would recommend that they check out Michael Hagedorn (MH)(Crataegas.com) who has many blog posts (styling and care) on mountain hemlocks.
I cannot take any credit for my knowledge on how to grow these species as I have learned to care for them from two local enthusiasts who have been working with them for almost two decades, one such fellow is nicknamed Mr. Mtn Hemlock around the PNW. MH has recently received a huge and very old Mtn Hw from the aforementioned fellow.....can't wait for him to post on this monster.

One difference that most of us above the 49th use in our treatment of both western and mountain is that we use a greater % of decomposed bark in our soil mix (a commercial brand "Sea Soil"which is a combination of decomposed and aged fish farm residue and bark....no there is no fishy smell), this provides more available nitrogen, thus our trees foliage is much more of a deep blue green than Michaels.... And yes I have seen his trees in person and he has even commented on the colour difference when he has visited us.
Cheers Graham

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Thanks for your reply. So----- you pretty much rule out the everything inorganic mantra with these trees? I do the same with Mugos up here in Michigan. Good for you.

ghues

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Thanks for your reply. So----- you pretty much rule out the everything inorganic mantra with these trees? I do the same with Mugos up here in Michigan. Good for you.
Wel......I may need to qualify that ....... The most common other soil component is pumice and/or lava (black/red) which can make up good percentage.

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Wel......I may need to qualify that ....... The most common other soil component is pumice and/or lava (black/red) which can make up good percentage.
But you use Pine bark mulch or something similar? The kiss if death in some schools of thinking.

Arcto

Chumono
Reaction score
What's your mixture parhamr? It looks like you have 2 different kinds of pumice in the mix along with lava. Do I see organics too?

Arcto

Chumono
Reaction score
Ghues, I have not come across sea soil down here in the lower 48. I have started using fish fertilizer in the summer. Not enough time to see solid results yet.

parhamr

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
What's your mixture parhamr? It looks like you have 2 different kinds of pumice in the mix along with lava. Do I see organics too?

Roughly equal quantities of:

• Diatomaceous earth gravel
  • Hemlock bark
  • Lava rock
  • Mazama pumice
The hemlock bark came from a big box store. It's larger than bark dust but not really in a chip form. I'll call it partially shredded.

I have included hemlock bark because in my studies some foresters and horticulturalists have claimed it is required for growing these trees. This requirement may be about pH, microbial environment, water retention, or physical texture. I haven't specifically seen why this is a requirement.

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Very interesting, thanks for sharing. If you are able to figure this out could you please let us know.

parhamr

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
@Vance Wood will do! I keep a living journal to track my work and how the trees respond. I'll be able to summarize my findings if/when I discover something important.

The nurseries under contract to the large forestry companies here in the Valley tend to do public retail sales in the spring. That's been on my radar for obtaining genetically desirable seedling stock for arboriculture experiments.

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Sometimes those places can be great sources for material.

Arcto

Chumono
Reaction score
The organic theory with hemlock I have heard from different sources too. My personal observations have been that I've seen repeatedly Eastern and Western Hemlock seedlings sprouting and growing in stumps and fallen "nurse logs". Locally here, not as much downed organic material and what's there breaks down more slowly or burns in fires and is often bone dry a good part of the growing season. I see Mt Hemlock regenerating in bare mineral soil frequently. So I don't know if the organic component is as vital to this species as the lower elevation trees. I'll also confess that I'm somewhere in the learning curve with this species and that is not near the end of it either!

ghues

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
http://www.seasoil.com
Here is the link for the organic portion of our hemlock soil mix.
Parhamr, I'm one of those foresters you speak about (just retired after 40!years) in that I believe that one needs a well balanced soil mix which (if possible), should be tailored to the needs of the species (not all species have the same requirements).... to keep them healthy and balanced. So often I see a strictly inorganic soil mix used for Mth Hemi's and thus one must use a fertilizer (organic and or inorganic), whereas this product seems to provide a good proportion of available nutrients that the tree thrives on.
Cheers Graham

Top Bottom