parhamr

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
D81E2AC2-EF66-434D-BEA0-1662F0F4957F.jpeg

This year I’ll be pulling the primary branches downward to give it a more alpine look. To make the bends as sharp as I want I’ll have to do wedge cuts.

I’m a bit uncertain about having the very top of the tree leaning over—it’s true to form for the species, but a little weird for a tree that’s clearly a formal upright.

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
View attachment 224926

This year I’ll be pulling the primary branches downward to give it a more alpine look. To make the bends as sharp as I want I’ll have to do wedge cuts.

I’m a bit uncertain about having the very top of the tree leaning over—it’s true to form for the species, but a little weird for a tree that’s clearly a formal upright.

Yes for me it looks strange to have the apex have a sudden lean. I would get it in line with the rest of the tree as a formal upright. I am thinking you probably won't need the lowest branches if you wire the rest down. It will make your design a bit more airy and elegant I think.

I like hemlocks! I worked on one three years ago but mine was created from nursery material found at HD.

Original material

After

parhamr

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Progress update
C6391B0C-729C-45C6-B76E-8A3F836A79AA.jpeg

I’ve used wedge cuts to pull down four branches. I’ve strapped rebar into the upper portion of the tree to work on straightening out the apex. I’ve also started the next round of thinning, pruning, and detail wiring.

parhamr

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The canopy is filling in nicely and the lower branches on which I did wedge cuts are alive and growing
52AD61F7-8488-4E3D-9805-C431AE686CAC.jpeg

This fall I will be fully wiring the canopy again to lower and place its branches.

Here’s how strong extension growth appears; I’ve identified 10 buds:
2DB5499D-24CB-42A3-9E4D-82B7A460865A.jpeg

parhamr

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I’ve contacted a BSOP member who produces wonderful pottery about buying a pot for this tree. I welcome input, as my guess for what would look right is an oval, medium brown clay body with a strong rim.

I think I could get the root ball reduced by at least two more inches in depth. As I understand, a pot width of about 12" to 16" would look nice. Seeing as though the grow box is 12" wide I’m leaning toward the higher end of the range.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
There's nothing feminine about this tree....
So I'd skip the oval.

Oddly....I think a well made rectangular dark grey concrete pot would suit this best.
A bit to keep costs down as I feel even 16 would be too short, or, it could sure stand a wider pot with the tree being so tall.

I don't think 24 is too long.

Sorce

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
View attachment 224926

Have you seen Michael Hagedorns wonderful Yamadori Mtn Hemlocks? Excellent example of natural apical growth regardless of "formality";).

parhamr

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Have you seen Michael Hagedorns wonderful Yamadori Mtn Hemlocks? Excellent example of natural apical growth regardless of "formality";).
I have! It’s been a year since I first saw it. I should schedule another tour of his garden.

August44

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Great tree and very good job you are doing with it IMO. Those big cuts and major removals would have scared me to death. These must be pretty tough/suitable trees for bonsai. I picked up/collected a small Western Hemlock about two weeks ago when I was going over Snoqualmie. Mine is much smaller and is more of a cascade than an upright. I am going to collect some larger ones this spring. Good job!

parhamr

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Whelp this past fall and winter I moved so I never got to wiring out the tree. It still is in desperate need of more copper.

Here it is today at 35" tall
901DD9BC-583F-4D50-9F04-B7A4DB66BAF1.jpeg

It’s still a little weird and I’m still not entirely loving it. I’m excited about the opportunity for styling this year and this might be close to its final height.

The foliage is becoming more dense and compact and I think the next major styling opportunities are in creating negative space up top and also extending some branches into multiple tiers of pads on longer branches. I really need to work on the narrow and long triangle aesthetic.

Last edited:

parhamr

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
It looking very healthy and happy!
I think one thing that make it look weird right now is the upward pointing jins.
Agreed. The jins need to go.

Repotted today into its first ceramic pot. It’s the right color and shape, but not quite the right style on the curved edges.
118DF1B6-6523-451F-B0DA-43F0F092B86B.jpeg

I found and removed a ton of clay field soil under the base of the trunk and was able to make major reductions to the rootball. There’s “only” now a ton of wiring work from here out, as I’ve finally got the roots to their fully sustainable state.

It’s 36" from the pot rim to the apex.

cwilhelm

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Great thread. I have fantasies of growing or collecting a mountain hemlock -- they're such beautiful native local trees and their foliage is perfect for bonsai.

Ryceman3

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Watched a bit of the repot for this on insta today... that was fun!
Great tree, looking forward to seeing it wired and styled.
🍺

Top Bottom