Tsuga mertensiana

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I am a true lover of hemlocks and have a few but I was completely unfamiliar with the mountain hemlock until I saw it first here. Two questions: Will it handle the humidity of the mid Atlantic states? Were can I find one?

Reactions: GGB

GGB

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I tried finding the answer to this question for a while but had no luck. Only one way to find out. Problem is you can only find expensive yamadori or seed packets. I was going to go the seed route but lost interest in hording seedlings a while ago haha. good luck

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I am a true lover of hemlocks and have a few but I was completely unfamiliar with the mountain hemlock until I saw it first here. Two questions: Will it handle the humidity of the mid Atlantic states? Were can I find one?
They struggle in zone 9 and 10 even with top professional care. They are native to elevations above 4,000 feet in my area. They thrive in cooler , humid sites, here on vancouver Island. The humidity will not be an issue but heat can be! I keep mine in the shade during the hotter part of the summer. Basically they are an understory tree, flourishing in the shade of Douglas fir and other taller trees. Not sure what the statistics are but i would be concerned if your summer temperatures tend to be above 80 degrees farenheit regularily!

Reaction score
What River said. They don't like the heat. Cold is fine, so long as the roots are well protected. In nature, deep snow packs insulate the roots from the cold.

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
What River said. They don't like the heat. Cold is fine, so long as the roots are well protected. In nature, deep snow packs insulate the roots from the cold.
I am zone 5 / 6 so I am ok there but finding one is an issue.

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
If you were a local I'd give you one of mine. (Grow like weeds around here in the high logging roads ). Best bet is to ask a nursery to order one in for you imho.
I am pretty sure if you were selling them you would have your hands full. If you ever decide to do so let me know.

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
I watched a couple nice collected mertensiana slowly die in the Milwaukee Wisconsin area. Not my trees, one was at a home on the lakeshore, where it never got over 85 F. The other was inland, in the suburbs, more zone 4 than zone 5b of the Lakeshore. I doubt a collected tree would survive in Virginia. Good luck. Seed has a chance, and if seedlings survive, they could be used to produce a race of seedlings more tolerant of heat than the wild type.

parhamr

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I live in USDA zone 8b/9a, but AHS heat zone 4/5.

I have three Mountain Hemlock:
  1. Nursery stock, since 2014
  2. Anton-purchased from Vancouver Island, 2017 collection
  3. Permit-collection, Southern Washington cascades, 2018
All are doing well! I give them lots of water, keep them in generously large containers, and ensure they have full shade after about 1 pm. I think the cool night temperatures might be critical to my success.

Each of my three seem to be of separate generic lines, as they display slightly different color, growth habit, and bark. I currently only have one thread for the nursery stock tree: https://www.bonsainut.com/threads/tsuga-mertensiana-mountain-hemlock.21899/

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I watched a couple nice collected mertensiana slowly die in the Milwaukee Wisconsin area. Not my trees, one was at a home on the lakeshore, where it never got over 85 F. The other was inland, in the suburbs, more zone 4 than zone 5b of the Lakeshore. I doubt a collected tree would survive in Virginia. Good luck. Seed has a chance, and if seedlings survive, they could be used to produce a race of seedlings more tolerant of heat than the wild type.
mertensiana inhabit higher elevations with cooler air and lots of humidity, snow and cooler winters. At lower elevations humidity and shade become more important and cooler winter temperatures as well. I use shade cloth, shadier spots and lots of foliage spray when watering. My elevation is 600 ft above sea level. They are collected at 4,000 ft plus normally.

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I live in USDA zone 8b/9a, but AHS heat zone 4/5.

I have three Mountain Hemlock:
  1. Nursery stock, since 2014
  2. Anton-purchased from Vancouver Island, 2017 collection
  3. Permit-collection, Southern Washington cascades, 2018
All are doing well! I give them lots of water, keep them in generously large containers, and ensure they have full shade after about 1 pm. I think the cool night temperatures might be critical to my success.

Each of my three seem to be of separate generic lines, as they display slightly different color, growth habit, and bark. I currently only have one thread for the nursery stock tree: https://www.bonsainut.com/threads/tsuga-mertensiana-mountain-hemlock.21899/
Mine are all collected from similar elevations 4600 ft to 5200 ft above sea level, color is darkest in shade and cooler areas, rather than warmer with more sun. The tree's collected at lower elevations are often lighter in color and Western Hemlock species. The foliage loves to be showered frequently as they would be with mists and dew in there natural habitat.

parhamr

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Mine are all collected from similar elevations 4600 ft to 5200 ft above sea level, color is darkest in shade and cooler areas, rather than warmer with more sun. The tree's collected at lower elevations are often lighter in color and Western Hemlock species. The foliage loves to be showered frequently as they would be with mists and dew in there natural habitat.
That’s helpful! My 2018 collected tree (2950' elevation) is the lightest in color. I had it in way too much sun and recently moved it to afternoon shade. I’ll spray the foliage regularly from now on. It’s definitely the mertensiana species but I’ll take a closer look to see how much heterophylla might be mixed in.

I had given it lots of 5-4-4 granular organic fertilizer and even some iron sulfite to see if its color would change… not yet.

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Contact these folks from PA. They buy collected trees from Randy Knight by truckloads and could tell you of survivability your area. You can reach them at: natureswaybonsai@gmail.com or 717.545.4555

Top Bottom