Tsukumo cypress problem

Steve B

Seed
Reaction score
My tsukumo cypress has delveloped a problem. The tips of the branches in one small area started to die back and eventually the whole branch died. This is spreading outward slowly from this area to other branches. Tree has been stored in a bright sunny porch at about 50 degrees. It is not sun scorch. Any ideas on what is causing this and how to fix. I can not see anything obvious like mites. Thanks

discusmike

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Hi Steve,i had the same thing happen to my dwarf hinoki,i did repot in early spring the tree grew strong,so in august i pruned a small area were the growth was very rapid,i held the fans and pulled the tips off,after that,the tree started to die back and spread as you said,it did this the rest of the growing season,i lost branches and much inner growth,but the tree is alive.I think it might have been to much stress on the tree,but who knows,i looked at the roots and everything looked normal,hopefully it will turn around this spring and grow well.

Steve B

Seed
Reaction score
Thanks for the tip. Rookie mistake. Will post as soon as I figure out how.

Steve B

Seed
Reaction score
Mike: Thanks for the reply. I will post a pic as soon as I figure out how. The problem is spreading out from original area again but no where else. Rest of the tree seems healthy. Steve

Top Bottom