Tsukumo Cypress Re-potted

tmjudd1

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I've been waiting for spring to come before re-potting these things, fearing freezing cold weather, but... it's so far been spring all winter long, here in Dallas!
Boredom and curiosity finally got the best of me, and I decided to re-pot one of these Tsukumo's, today, to see what happens. If we freeze over, before spring, I'll protect it from the cold... provided it survives the massive root trimming that was required to fit it into this tiny pot. It came out of a tall nursery pot, the same size as the one shown on the left. It was also severely root bound! Some folks say that these things need deep pots, for deep roots... other folks say they can survive in shallow pots. I've decided to put it to the test! Due to the very small size of the pot, I mixed the soil 50/50 potting soil and Akadama. I did this in order to help it retain more moisture while I'm away at work. The tiny size of the pot would allow it to dry out rather quickly if I used traditional Bonsai soil, only.
If 'this' one survives... I'll do the same to the other two Tsukumo's this spring.

IMG_20190105_170516308_HDR.jpg

Flounder61

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Beautiful trees! I am awaiting my first Tsukumo to arrive tomorrow. Hopefully, it will be alive! Did you start these from nursery stock? Or pre-bonsai stock?

Top Bottom