Tufa rock ?

discusmike

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I picked up some tufa from a local fish store,the rock is very white in alot of spots and very easy to carve,my question is,will this rock be to soft for a Root over Rock?I dont want to spend years growing a tree on a rock that will crack,if anyone has any previous experience with this rock id appreciate some help,i remember some from natures way bonsai,but it was a gray color,this is much whiter.

pjkatich

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I picked up some tufa from a local fish store,the rock is very white in alot of spots and very easy to carve,my question is,will this rock be to soft for a Root over Rock?I dont want to spend years growing a tree on a rock that will crack,if anyone has any previous experience with this rock id appreciate some help,i remember some from natures way bonsai,but it was a gray color,this is much whiter.

In my opinion Mike, I think you would be wasting your time.

I would stay away from softer stones like tufa. Tree's like Trident Maples can exert quite a bit of force as the roots harden and expand over the rock. I have had Red maples break pieces off the Florida field stones that I like to use.

Regards,
Paul

discusmike

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Thanks,i was thinking it might be to soft,but heard of people using it in compositions,i know they also have a darker harder tufa,and i guess i got the soft junk.

Top Bottom