Tupelo #1

Cmd5235

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Starting a specific thread to document this tree. I've posted it in other combination posts- please ignore. This tree has survived two years post collection, so I feel comfortable with logging ongoing styling. This thread will serve as an ongoing journal, as well as for input.

This Tupelo was collected from a trash heap at the Jersey Shore- the property owner discarded it, and I immediately saw the magnificent bark and lack of anything else. I wasn't sure this tree would survive, but it seems to be doing alright. I am very excited with the number of shoots it has thrown from the main trunk, and I cannot wait to do more work on it this spring.

IMG_8772.JPGIMG_8773.JPGIMG_0084.JPGIMG_5105.JPGIMG_5104.JPGIMG_5103.JPG

Cmd5235

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
The top of this tree never branched out after collecting, so it will be chopped off this spring. I'm planning to repot in an Anderson flat and select a few branches for development.

DSC_2313.JPGDSC_2314.JPG

Joe Dupre'

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
We have the water tupelo here. I marked one this year but was concerned it may have a long tap root and not many surface roots. What did the root structure look like on yours?

Cmd5235

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
We have the water tupelo here. I marked one this year but was concerned it may have a long tap root and not many surface roots. What did the root structure look like on yours?
When I collected it, I had a tap root and one long feeder root. I hacked the crap out of the tap root, potted, and hoped for the best. When I repotted this year, it looked great- lots of good root growth

Joe Dupre'

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Yours is looking good. I dug the one I'd marked and, sure enough, had a couple of big tap roots with almost no feeder roots. I just pulled it up......no new roots at all.

Cmd5235

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Cut back the trunk a bit for a cleaner heal, and applied cut paste. Not sure this is a Tupelo after all
E9CB0EA6-657C-4676-B193-31ABFEC90BA0.jpeg

Attachments

• B11D20C4-1F60-4D9A-9EF6-2BA6254B4CFC.jpeg
    B11D20C4-1F60-4D9A-9EF6-2BA6254B4CFC.jpeg
    249.9 KB · Views: 4
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    240.1 KB · Views: 5

Joe Dupre'

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
I have trouble telling tupelo from persimmon locally. The trunk does have the dark color of a persimmon. I do like that diagonal view as a possible front.

Cmd5235

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
DSC_4635.JPG
dsc_4634-jpg.438083

Attachments

• DSC_4634.JPG
    DSC_4634.JPG
    152.5 KB · Views: 96

Scrogdor

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9B
Pretty cool to see a thick one like that! I picked up a much more "stick" like sylvatica last summer and it's growing pretty well, I haven't messed with the roots much besides a light combing and up pot though. Love the old looking bark on that. The one I have still has pretty smooth grey/white bark.

Cmd5235

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Pretty cool to see a thick one like that! I picked up a much more "stick" like sylvatica last summer and it's growing pretty well, I haven't messed with the roots much besides a light combing and up pot though. Love the old looking bark on that. The one I have still has pretty smooth grey/white bark.
I collected this with very few roots remaining, and it's done pretty well so far. The bark was the first draw for me

Top Bottom