turning roots to branches

donkey

Mame
Reaction score
I was wanting to turn the lower roots of my blackthorn into branches would i just simply go about it as if im layering them for cutting ? Any advice however obvious would be appreciated better to re-read what i know than miss out on something simple i may have missed.

jk_lewis

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
Roots are roots. They don't become branches.

Now, if you were writing about root cuttings, that's different. You can sometimes cut a root off near the trunk and it will grow up into a new plant, but your "lower roots" will stay just that -- roots.

Or, you may be asking something entirely different, and I just don't understand . . .

donkey

Mame
Reaction score
sorry i got branches and roots the wrong way round what i want to do is turn my lower branches into roots.

jk_lewis

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
You can air layer or do cuttings/.

Ang3lfir3

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
sorry i got branches and roots the wrong way round what i want to do is turn my lower branches into roots.

branches are branches.... roots are roots.... if you pull a branch in to the soil... it may throw some roots.... but those will be roots...

ok out of curiosity (there goes a cat) ...... why would you want to do something like that.... and how do you get branches and roots mixed up?

donkey

Mame
Reaction score
when i get my camera fixed i will post photo and you will see why i want to root the lower branches. I got the two words mixed up because i was v tired, a little ill, very hungry and dealing with 6 screaming kids while trying to post a question.

edprocoat

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone

In my experience you can ground layer a low hanging branch by knicking it and dusting with some hormone powder and then burying the wounded area leaving the branch top above ground until roots appear. The viable part will be from the roots up to the top of the branch, sometimes when you cut this free the part still attached to the tree may survive but its better to remove it as the tree spends a lot of energy trying to repair it. This method can be used to then graft roots with the branch you grew roots on to the base of your tree, or you can graft the branch onto the trunk in a different position, which I find harder and more apt to fail than root grafting.

ed

Last edited:

donkey

Mame
Reaction score
i'm happy with where the branches are if they were roots not branches. It would change what has the potential to be a good into the potential to be a stunning tree.

jk_lewis

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
I must be getting older than I think I am. I STILL don't understand.

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Maybe it's like a tomato/potato plant....:D AND you are getting older... every day.:eek: (me too...)

Donkey, you cannot make branches into roots not even with a magic wand or chanting. You can get branches to root using Ed's method, but that only gets you a new plant, not roots for your current tree. If you don't like your current roots, you could ground layer it to get better ones. Or approach graft, but I don't know how blackthorn would respond to this. MAYBE if you could post a photo, more help could be given.

donkey

Mame
Reaction score
surely if i succsfully root the branches then keep on top of removing all growth from said branches they would look like roots, an illusion, I think what i really need to know is if the branches rooted would they then provide nutrients too the tree ?? there is one branch on the tree which has already rooted. Another reason for wanting to know this is in my new garden there is a hawthorn with low growing branches on all sides which have rooted would i be able to cut the trunk below where the rooted branches and have the tree survive ??

jk_lewis

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
Another reason for wanting to know this is in my new garden there is a hawthorn with low growing branches on all sides which have rooted would i be able to cut the trunk below where the rooted branches and have the tree survive ??

That's a natural ground layer. The answer is yes.

I FINALLY understand!

Google for "air layering" and you can find how to create roots on a branch while it is still on the tree.

Kevster

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
I to am a little confused with these answers but have a similar question. I have a ficus b which has a couple low growing sacrifice branches I left to help thicken the trunk. Then I thought instead of cutting these branches off at the trunk in a year why couldn't I scare the branch bury that part (leaving the leaves above ground) and let it become an aerial root. Then when it does root cut off the branch just past where it rooted. This would work correct?

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
It would still be a branch not a root. You are talking about cutting it PAST the rooted portion correct? Not on the tree side? Then if so the thing you just created would still be a rooted branch. And would act as such, putting out buds, etc...

Kevster

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
Yes I would be cutting it past the rooted part. And now I understand completely with the fact that it would still push growth. I can't believe I didn't think about that. Thanks JudyB 2X in a matter of minutes!

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
surely if i succsfully root the branches then keep on top of removing all growth from said branches they would look like roots, an illusion, I think what i really need to know is if the branches rooted would they then provide nutrients too the tree ??

You can try to make them "appear" to be roots, but they will still act as a branch. What you will have created is a raft at that point, and you'll probably get lots of branchlets along the length of the "root" (branch) that will try to grow up constantly. I don't know - it might look cool, but it'll never actually be a root.

I do not know if the roots from that branch would feed the tree, or more likely feed the branch as it tries to grow into more plants.

jk_lewis

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
why couldn't I scare the branch bury that part (leaving the leaves above ground) and let it become an aerial root.

:mad: BOO! :mad:

Top Bottom