Twin trunk alder

BobbyLane

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
I got sidetracked talking about birch earlier in this thread and posted a couple pics of birch leaves from another one of my trees, that might be part of the confusion. The tree in the first post is most definitely an alder.

It's fairly easy to tell the birch and alder apart up here. They have completly different bark, alder leaves are more oval shaped while birch are heart shaped, birch branches are alot stiffer when they lignify and they will break before they bend much, while alder remains flexible a lot longer. We also don't have a large variety of deciduous up here so it's easier. I'm sure there are species around the world that look similar and could create confusion as well.

I think this is the nicest alder I've seen. Do you have the name of the owner of that tree? I'd like to look them up and see their other trees. There seems to be a lot of nice deciduous in the UK for people to draw inspiration from, makes sense in interested in UK artists.

I have an alder marked for collection next year that is very close to the spot I got this one. It isn't very tall, has several lower branches and about a 5 inchtrunk. I might have to use that tree as inspiration or I might take it a totally different direction, who knows.

Not the best pic, I just snapped a quick few on my phone so I remember the tree and where it is.
View attachment 446687
ah ok yes, the birch leaves threw me off for a mo there! if you like those types of trees theres a FB page, bonsai of British origin.
here's another Alder from Graham potters blog from noelanders

Attachments

• P1160300.jpg
    P1160300.jpg
    141.8 KB · Views: 24

berzerkules

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Figured I should drop some pics now since alders around here always seem to look like trash come fall.
These alders are strong growers. Collected this spring, hit by rust so I defoliated and this thing didn't care at all. It's bushy mess though, I just let everything grow after collection. Going to have to get in there next spring to make some decisions and hack it back. I should have cut back harder on collection, oh well.

20220815_204210.jpg
Those red buds just do it for me
20220815_204548.jpg20220815_204306.jpg

Top Bottom