Twin Trunk American Hornbeam

james

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
30 yr old Twin Trunk American Hornbeam, 32” tall. 21” cheap Chinese pot.

088642AB-3CB5-4C87-B01D-6CD113F177ED.jpeg

Winter wiring, cut back and general clean up.

CFCC12FA-B712-4A7E-85F6-364A1FBF7264.jpeg

Slight rotation to the right, effort to see better trunk wiggle, and reinforce rightward movement.

90F62B07-4EB4-4EA5-A9C8-225BCAAE04C6.jpeg

Which do you like better, original front, or second with slight rightward rotation? General thoughts on the composition, tree as a whole?

Forrestford

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
General thoughts on the composition, tree as a whole?
Awesome hornbeam. I like the first picture. I do think the pot is a little too big. But great work with the branches.
Your tree reminds me of this Turkey Oak. Not my tree, This guy I follow in Instagram.
Any plans to do anything with the hollows? Or are you hoping to heal them over?
Quercus cerris 2020 Oct (1)-1.jpg

BobbyLane

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Awesome hornbeam. I like the first picture. I do think the pot is a little too big. But great work with the branches.
Your tree reminds me of this Turkey Oak. Not my tree, This guy I follow in Instagram.
Any plans to do anything with the hollows? Or are you hoping to heal them over?
View attachment 351831

That guy is in Europe he has a very cool blog!

Nice Hornbeam @james

ABCarve

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Wow!! Do you have a photo of it in leaf?

johng

Omono
Reaction score
I think this tree has excellent potential and is generally very well done. I like the similarities in movement between the two trunks. I’d like to see a bigger differential between the lowest branch on the small trunk and the lowest branch on the larger trunk.

I really dislike the very “pine esque” flat pads. To each is own but I think deciduous trees should look like deciduous trees.

It needs a nice muted-glazed shallow container from a western potter.

james

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thank you all for your comments. I’ll trunk to address several of the questions and concerns brought forward.

Hollows, haven’t done much with these intentionally. One this tree, they will never close, so I think I have to go with them. The lower trunk, where there is a hollow, and the nebari are a weakness of the tree (not much trunk flair, surface roots sparse).

889FA70A-AF43-465F-B584-AE50FBB6FD73.jpeg
E8503806-D973-4D9F-9D4B-2893D80E9417.jpeg
4F4A22DE-DCFD-4774-B2B1-18F27751C1BB.jpeg

I have considered a ground layer, to get better radial roots. I have done several Hornbeam layers, even on big trunks, they work. Should I do this, I might go up closer to the fork, giving the tree a look more of a triple trunk. This would make the tree shorter, more compact. Could then loose lowest left branch, rebalancing the lowe branches as suggested earlier.

Will take a picture in spring and post.

Lastly, the pine criticism. It’s real. A way for me to organize deciduous branches. Tends to look less stiff, less pine like in leaf, which adds depth to branch pads. Long history of discussion here of Japanese organized branches ( bird can fly through) v western full deciduous, cloud like branches. To each his own.

In reality, the branches are not mature, not well ramified yet. Just in the general position, profile I want. More of the deciduous look will come in time with ramification and fullness of those branches now which look a little sparse, skeletal now.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Slight rotation to the right, effort to see better trunk wiggle, and reinforce rightward movement.

I like the first pic better because I noticed the chops in the second (front), then couldn't forget them.

I don't think you need to reinforce any movement. Wondering what this means to you, only because I consider it's movement left, as far as, where the rest of display will be. The trunks and branches are wonderful enough to keep the eye contained, but that low uro will point the eye to the next display if not contained with an accent. The right side is contained with the larger taller trunk.

Speaking of trunks....it's almost 3 heh?

I'd want to see a really good virt before making any decisions... But that 3rd "brunk" (branch trunk) is possibly a bother. It's not making reverse taper but seeing it as a "brunk" is a little...a little....wrong?

I want to remove it but definitely not to where it would pinch a waist in the tree. I want to remove it so the lowest branch is from your smallest trunk. Remove it so all the branches are on a proper angle out.

But......

It may just be the view of that larger branch beyond the crotch that is bringing too much "weight" down there, bringing attention to the "brunk".

I think these decisions will be easier made as you proceed with branching. Since it seems necessary to keep still currently. But this eventually can make a large difference in, those small details that mean so much.

Bravo.

Sorce

Top Bottom