Twin Trunk Japanese maple

Johnnyd

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I saw a recent post about a twin trunk maple and was motivated to make some improvements on mine. I have been trying to get buds to pop low with limited success. My plan is to make an initial chop,top line, then chop again lower to a new leader in June. Im also planning on giving it more room next spring in a low wide pot.
I have seen some spectacular twin trunks (@JudyB )on this forum and would appreciate any suggestions.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20180929-112900_QuickPic.jpg
    Screenshot_20180929-112900_QuickPic.jpg
    276.9 KB · Views: 244

Shun

Mame
Reaction score
I think that before the chop you need to get some trunk thickening on one of the trunks. They are about the same thickness and the tree would be greatly improved if one was dominant. Only then proceed with chopping it!

Im building a twin trunk kotohime maple also! But its a 10 year project hahah

Johnnyd

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I think that before the chop you need to get some trunk thickening on one of the trunks. They are about the same thickness and the tree would be greatly improved if one was dominant. Only then proceed with chopping it!

Im building a twin trunk kotohime maple also! But its a 10 year project hahah
Excellent point!

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
You can thread graft to get new branching low on the trunk where you want it. Make sure you plan on using sacrifice branches or free growing the main (parent) trunk to make it larger than the smaller (child) trunk. Movement is important for twins, or at least that they mirror each other in some way. I've seen nice straighter ones too. If you have a lower branch on the secondary trunk you could chop it and let the other one gain some ground on it. BTW thanks for the kind words, you must have seen the twin hackberry... :) I love that tree...

Johnnyd

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
You can thread graft to get new branching low on the trunk where you want it. Make sure you plan on using sacrifice branches or free growing the main (parent) trunk to make it larger than the smaller (child) trunk. Movement is important for twins, or at least that they mirror each other in some way. I've seen nice straighter ones too. If you have a lower branch on the secondary trunk you could chop it and let the other one gain some ground on it. BTW thanks for the kind words, you must have seen the twin hackberry... :) I love that tree...
Yes I have had the pleasure. They most certainly do speak to each other. I could not remember the species when I was trying to find it. I may have to save the picture if you don't mind. It is amazing! ??
I tried to induce a bud by putting small impressions in the area with a scissor but had no luck. Ive been told that using some rooting hormone works. I may take your advice and thread graft although I am a little concerned about fungus getting into the cambium layer.
?
Wired and ready in case I need to thread graft.

Attachments

• 20180929_153638.jpg
    20180929_153638.jpg
    396.5 KB · Views: 216
Last edited:

LanceMac10

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Definitely thread graft, if your confident in your ability to get it to "take".
I've done some "blind" chops with less than impressive results.:(
What you have here is a little "light" in trunk movement/character.
But to me, Japanese Maples are like pizza...ain't no such thing as "bad" from either!!!:D:D:D:D:D

Johnnyd

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Definitely thread graft, if your confident in your ability to get it to "take".
I've done some "blind" chops with less than impressive results.:(
What you have here is a little "light" in trunk movement/character.
But to me, Japanese Maples are like pizza...ain't no such thing as "bad" from either!!!:D:D:D:D:D
That is great point! Skinny maples need love too!
Could try to work on the nebari while I think about things. Has a bit of a turtle shell happening. I'm not going to screw it to a board, seems unnecessary with twin trunk. Going to wire it flat to a $1 plastic cutting board. Slight variation to Ebihari.

Johnnyd

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I realize this has more trunks than two, but the feeling that it has for a tall fairly straight tree, is amazing. Something to work toward... Don Blackmond had this tree at one time.
View attachment 211768
Wow ! Thank you! Would love to look at that for while in person. The negative space to the right of the main trunk really works.

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Wow ! Thank you! Would love to look at that for while in person. The negative space to the right of the main trunk really works.
Yes it's a very cool tree, wish I had seen it in person. but even a picture is good.

Johnnyd

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I put in a few thread grafts in 20190311_124352.jpg20190311_135315.jpg today. Had the intention of putting a few smaller saplings on the side of the shell but ran out of steam. Maybe next year I'll add a few more if it survives this year. Lol

Attachments

• 20190311_135311.jpg
    20190311_135311.jpg
    271.9 KB · Views: 139

Johnnyd

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I made some mistakes with the grafts and other poorly executed techniques that ended up giving the trunk more "character " than I wanted.
Into the ground on a board for a year or two will help with the scared trunk. I eventually will tilt it to the right a bit so the main trunk is slightly over the shorter trunk. 20210306_081236.jpg

0soyoung

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Into the ground on a board for a year or two will help with the scared trunk. I eventually will tilt it to the right a bit so the main trunk is slightly over the shorter trunk.
I think the sooner you tilt it, the better off you'll be.

Johnnyd

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Putting this tree in the ground did not help the roots, nor top growth. This is because of the poor soil in my yard (mostly leveling soil).
I took it out of the ground and into a large container. I placed this on top of my new garden bed. This is when it really took off!
20230917_074329.jpg20230917_074357.jpg
Both scars are healing well and there is a noticeable difference in diameter of the two trunks.
20230917_074426.jpg20230917_074422.jpg

I'll probably reduce here next.
Screenshot_20230917_123102_Gallery.jpg

Top Bottom