Twin trunk juniper styling opinions

maroun.c

Omono
Reaction score
Got this twin trunk juniper from a nursery last year, half are rooted and moved to bonsai pot this May. Tree showed no issues from repot and gree many buds this season.
Good movement in the trunk so can easily take out one trunk or jin it and develop a nice tree out of it, also lots of potential for nice cascade...
Yet I'm interes
ed more in keeping both trunks and doing something nice with it.
I can basically clean it up, lay the branches and develop an apex and I'd be happy with how it'll be looking at the nice trunk.
That brqnch coming straight from the back to the front is a pain to the eye, might either bend it up to use as apex or cut it above main trunk and develop some branches up as apex.
Appreciate any suggestions on what I could have

Front
Screenshot_20201113-092056_Gallery.jpg
Front right
Screenshot_20201113-092119_Gallery.jpg
Right side
Screenshot_20201113-151810_Gallery.jpg
Back
Screenshot_20201113-151842_Gallery.jpg
Left side
Screenshot_20201113-151902_Gallery.jpg

Last edited:

maroun.c

Omono
Reaction score
Wow thanks for the link. That tree overall shape isn't far from mine. (Well overall shape of that tree before shaping i assume)
Actually answers my question as my dilemma was the apex which I assumed would start in the center where I'm missing foliage,whereas that tree off-center apex adds dynamics and I can pull /grow branches to fill the void and can get rid of that crossing branch that was bugging me.
Thanks again for the link.

Njyamadori

Chumono
Reaction score
I’m not a pro but I’m a human with opinions and I would keep both of them and do some heavy trunk movement

maroun.c

Omono
Reaction score
Worked on the tree today and tried as much as I could to compact the right side and elevate an apex on left side. Not ery happy with the results mainly cause branches didn't really help. Would you wire more branches in initial styling or just let the tree grow as wired to develop the apex and more branches and then wire all the 2ndary and tertiary branches in one go ?Screenshot_20201119-165418_Gallery.jpg

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
It all depends on what kind of design you have in mind for this tree? A lot of important branches seem to be weak and a lot of unimportant branches are too powerful. It seems to me that the direction of this bonsai is going to the right stylistically, with the strength of the tree seems to be on the left side. The best trunk movement is on the right side, but it works in objection to to the power of the left side. In short the tree is terribly conflicted as it is now. You need to pick a direction and go for it, instead of wiring here and wiring there, in the end hoping you will see something of interest.

maroun.c

Omono
Reaction score
It all depends on what kind of design you have in mind for this tree? A lot of important branches seem to be weak and a lot of unimportant branches are too powerful. It seems to me that the direction of this bonsai is going to the right stylistically, with the strength of the tree seems to be on the left side. The best trunk movement is on the right side, but it works in objection to to the power of the left side. In short the tree is terribly conflicted as it is now. You need to pick a direction and go for it, instead of wiring here and wiring there, in the end hoping you will see something of interest.
I was aiming for aometbing similar to this
But indeed the right trunk looks stronger and should have had the apex on it maybe, although no good Branches for an apex on both sides of the tree at this stage. As my right trunk is higher maybe the apex should have been there and the left side normally follows as its going down .

Top Bottom