Twin trunk spruce

DaveV

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Hi all. Just finished wiring this siberian spruce. These are the before and after photos. I remvoed it from my garden last spring and it took off growing wounderfully over the summer. It's in a very well draining soil mix. ( equal parts: lave, hydite, turface, granit, and pine bark mulch). Any comments (negative comments welcome) or suggestions.

Dave V.

Attachments

• 100_0116.jpg
    100_0116.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 291
  • 100_0118.jpg
    100_0118.jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 397

DaveV

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Here are some side shots.

Attachments

• 100_0119.jpg
    100_0119.jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 143
  • 100_0120.jpg
    100_0120.jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 154

Si Nguyen

Omono
Reaction score
Hi Dave, nice work! It's nice to start the new year with such a project. Only one idea, and that is eventually you should consider reducing the width (the silhouette) of the tree by a little bit. The trunk size is a bit too small for such full foliage. Maybe use the bigger branches as jins.
Good luck with your bonsai!
Cheers,
Si

DaveV

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Hi Si, I agree with you. I would have done that but wasn't sure if I should do this now or wait closer to spring/early summer to induce back budding. Thanks for your input Si.

Dave V.

DaveV

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Update on the siberian spruce

Here are some up to date pictures of the twin trunk spruce. Over the winter months I pruned it back quite a bit and brought the branches down even more. I think its coming along pretty well.

Attachments

• 101_0396.jpg
    101_0396.jpg
    207.6 KB · Views: 203
  • 101_0397.jpg
    101_0397.jpg
    211.6 KB · Views: 144

october

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Hello DaveV.. It is coming along nicely.. It is really starting to take on the look of full size trees.. Have you thought about reducing the height of the smaller one. Generally, twin trunk style incorporates 2 trees that pull off one image.. There is also the "mother daughter" variation where the smaller tree is quite a bit smaller. Here is a virt. I think either would work well with your tree. It has a lot of potential.

Attachments

• Copy of pictures2 029.jpg
    Copy of pictures2 029.jpg
    50.9 KB · Views: 82
Last edited:

DaveV

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Hi October, Thanks for the input. Yes, I have considered making the smaller of the two shorter. I was actually hoping to let the larger tree grow taller and trying to keep the smaller one about that size. It is a siberian spruce and not sure how tall it will get in a pot. Right now the tallest is about 15" from the soil. I may have to reduce the smaller one even more in the future.

DaveV.

HotAction

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hey Dave, nice work on that twin trunk so far. As a matter of fact, I just styled my twin trunk spruce for the first time this past weekend. My only recommendation at this point would be to use copper wire. The wire will need to stay on the spruce branches for quite some time to get a good repositioning. The copper does an amazing job holding the branches in place, while at the same time remaining inconspicuous due to the smaller guage sizes that are used. Good work.

Dave

Top Bottom