Twin Trunk, Vintage Gold

DonovanC

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Hello everyone!
I was at a plant sale yesterday and got some great stuff! I mentioned to one of the vendors that I was into bonsai so he pulled out this “less than landscaping quality” Chamaecyparis pisifera ‘Vintage Gold’ and said “here, see what you can do with this.” I tried to offer him $5 for it but he wouldn’t take it.
Anyways! I’m still fairly new to Bonsai (this is my second season), and I’m just now passed the anxiety of learning proper care and keeping trees alive, so I’m finally able to casually approach more advanced topics.
I decided on a Sokan - twin trunk/mother & daughter style - it seemed to be the most obvious choice.
I’m pretty obsessive about learning techniques so I’m confident that I’ll be able to continue to develop the style in the coming years - but I’m interested in input from experienced eyes on what to do next (other than grow/recover), what I should have done, or whatever else! Any input, critique, or advice is welcomed!!!
Thank you! ?? EF89CF21-019E-4EF1-BD76-37CEE292AD99.jpeg3F647EB3-47E9-49FA-9819-38D104BCEFF7.jpeg39779D60-80B2-4D26-B9ED-F620CB0C69EC.jpeg

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
This is young, early, so my comment is more for the future. Generally in "Mother-Daughter" arrangements, the ''daughter tree'' should be approximately 2/3rds the height or 1/3rd the height of the parent tree. If it is too near exactly 1/2, it tends to look awkward. A visual display suggestion, not a ''rule'' per se, but it is a suggestion.

This mother daughter arrangement is a nice start, needs to do a lot of growing, but a nice start.

DonovanC

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
This is young, early, so my comment is more for the future. Generally in "Mother-Daughter" arrangements, the ''daughter tree'' should be approximately 2/3rds the height or 1/3rd the height of the parent tree. If it is too near exactly 1/2, it tends to look awkward. A visual display suggestion, not a ''rule'' per se, but it is a suggestion.

This mother daughter arrangement is a nice start, needs to do a lot of growing, but a nice start.
Very helpful. I hadn’t heard anything about composition in that respect - but it definitely makes sense, the rule of thirds is used in pretty much all art forms. I’ll definitely keep that in mind going forward. It certainly does have a lot of growing to do. I plan on getting the daughter tree more compact in future - mostly width-wise as I like the height of it. So I suppose I’ll base the height of the parent tree in the height of the daughter. ...but then again time will tell.
Thanks for all your help!

Top Bottom