Twist Pomegranate

thumblessprimate1

Masterpiece
Reaction score
I picked this up today. Tree collected this spring from ground growing. I really wanted a shohin sized tree, but I don't want to go home empty handed. I really should do my research first, but here is the tree. It's about 4 feet tall, and I'd like it to be half that one day. The nebari needs a lot of work, so I need to learn about what can be done to grow more roots. The front is somewhere in the picture. The opposite side is not as interesting.20190613_151035.jpg20190613_142326.jpg

thumblessprimate1

Masterpiece
Reaction score
First up, I leave it in filtered light as when I purchased it. Summer going to be hot. Also, I'm going to add soil to raise soil level. I'm hoping for more roots to grow.

Last edited:

namnhi

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I picked this up today. Tree collected this spring from ground growing. I really wanted a shohin sized tree, but I don't want to go home empty handed. I really should do my research first, but here is the tree. It's about 4 feet tall, and I'd like it to be half that one day. The nebari needs a lot of work, so I need to learn about what can be done to grow more roots. The front is somewhere in the picture. The opposite side is not as interesting.View attachment 247231View attachment 247232
Even the nebari is twisted. LOL. Don't know if they behave like the regular one... If so, please take cuttings and send one to me please.

thumblessprimate1

Masterpiece
Reaction score
My guy has a mother tree he grows these from seeds he collects. He says all he does is chop the trees back each year and they just twist. I think there's more to it than that 😄. I'm sure its genetics.

hemmy

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I'm sure its genetics.
Definitely. “Neji-kan”. The google translate is “screw” but I guess twisting sounds better!

Awesome tree!

I'd like it to be half that one day.

Hmmm, do you go slow and reduce gradually chasing back the back budding to prevent dieback? Or chop hard while it has to most energy to get most back buds? I think I would be inclined to grow it strong and cut back to branching to minimize dieback. Obviously from the massive “veins” there isn’t much lateral transport. It looks like there is some dieback on the left, how does the top look?

For reference, here was one from this year’s repot at the Huntington that was originally a landscape tree. It also twisted with each vein corresponding to a large root base. It had some large cuts back to branching but the dieback appears minimal (maybe it was chopped back in the ground?).
FD49AC2D-9E0D-418D-A1E7-9FF8A407902C.jpeg
D4E736F2-16B0-4994-80CC-190554ECE706.jpeg

And lastly for eye candy, Jim Barrett’s famous tree that was recently “repatriated” to the Huntington.
1335E1B5-5F45-47C4-8A6C-0C8DB5AB1BB7.jpeg

thumblessprimate1

Masterpiece
Reaction score
@hemmy Definitely, I'd let it grow strong and cut back to branches. This is a different game for me. I fear I'll lose a "live vein" if I make a bad cut. It'd be nice to find more buds and finer roots to give me paths of least resistance in the near future.

thumblessprimate1

Masterpiece
Reaction score
@bonhe I've gone through 15 pages of your pomegranate thread. Lots of branching info, but I was hoping for more or roots. You mentioned work work to improve the surface roots on one of the trees, could you share what you did? I'm curious to know all that can be done to improve nebari. If I don't find anything, I'll plan to graft rooted cuttings before shortening the large roots.

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I have realized this year these plants are bulletproof. Cut back where you want. It will bud. But yeah, Get @bohne to chime in

bonhe

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
@bonhe I've gone through 15 pages of your pomegranate thread. Lots of branching info, but I was hoping for more or roots. You mentioned work work to improve the surface roots on one of the trees, could you share what you did? I'm curious to know all that can be done to improve nebari. If I don't find anything, I'll plan to graft rooted cuttings before shortening the large roots.
To create the surface rootage, you need to place the root on the flat hard surface during the transplant. So far, I did not do this yet. Another way to build up the surface rootage is that the tree should be planted in the shallow pot: you should be cautious because the pome does not like the hot soil
Thụ Thoại

Top Bottom