Twisted ‘Kishu’ Shimpaku Juniper

MAJ

Seed
Reaction score
Hello Everybody.

I’m having a hard time deciding how to move forward with this new to me, 8-9 y/o Shimpaku.

Also, does anyone have any examples of what this could be styled into as a mature tree?

Any direction would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you and have a good day.

18983E01-0F55-47F4-A617-C005E5B02E8E.jpeg

chicago1980

Omono
Reaction score
Nice looks like an Ed Clark tree

I would start with Shari and deadwood and finding the best angle.

bwaynef

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Let it grow. Keep twisting what grows. Michael Hagedorn says that each time you're adding information to the tree. No need necessarily at this point to give it a front. Just add interest each time. Meanwhile you'll start to see angles and presentations that you like and will have a better idea of where to go.

Or, compress this tree w/ a bit more twistiness and arrange a canopy on top of it.

MichaelS

Masterpiece
Reaction score
It will make a nice little tree as is. If you want it thicker, you MUST cut off everything but one leading shoot before letting it grow freely. Probably the one moving to the left. Failure to do this will destroy any taper. Even then inducing good taper will be a little more trick than usual because there are no lower branches. Personally I would make a nice miniature with it, and enjoy that while you move on to the next one.

Reactions: MAJ

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
What do you want from this tree? Big, small, tiny? Thick trunk, thin? Dead wood or no dead wood? Small, young stock like this can be almost anything so you get to make the choices.

I would start putting in shari along the trunk. Start narrow and widen it every year or 2 as the tree thickens.
Looks like there's some wire scars mid trunk so you could follow those to give some spiral to the shari.
Letting a rear branch grow for a few years will add thickness to the lower trunk but @MichaelS is correct that all existing branches are rather high so thickening is likely to be uniform from there down. More height in the completed tree would overcome that problem but that depends on the answers to first questions.

MAJ

Seed
Reaction score
Thank you to everyone for the responses, I appreciate the help.

What do you want from this tree? Big, small, tiny? Thick trunk, thin? Dead wood or no dead wood? Small, young stock like this can be almost anything so you get to make the choices.

I would start putting in shari along the trunk. Start narrow and widen it every year or 2 as the tree thickens.
Looks like there's some wire scars mid trunk so you could follow those to give some spiral to the shari.
Letting a rear branch grow for a few years will add thickness to the lower trunk but @MichaelS is correct that all existing branches are rather high so thickening is likely to be uniform from there down. More height in the completed tree would overcome that problem but that depends on the answers to first questions.
I would definitely like to see this tree bigger, with a much more developed trunk caliper, with some dead wood. So, the best way to achieve more height would be to just let it grow?

I found a picture of a specimen here on the forums.. This shape/style is my ideal juniper. Pipe dream, of course

8D8C2985-D3C1-4590-AC1A-1D7E9E714F2A.jpeg

ShimpakuBonsai

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8B
If you want it to be as big as the tree in the last picture you have to grow yours for at least more 20 years.

tangledtanuki

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
With all that twisting the only straight piece could be used as a grafting spot. I would take a branch above and graft it below in the opposite direction and create some more movement.
That way the current growth could be turned into a future jin and the new direction will create taper and also a change in direction and some more movement.

Attachments

• juni.png
    juni.png
    442.5 KB · Views: 25

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Look up Tom Vuong Bonsai on You tube. Also any Bonsai Mirai Juniper video available for ideas/examples;). Tree has great movement for beginning. Keep alive and use all of it. Worry about dead wood once trunk has desired size to it.

Last edited:

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
I would definitely like to see this tree bigger, with a much more developed trunk caliper, with some dead wood. So, the best way to achieve more height would be to just let it grow?
It will take time to grow to that size. I would probably allow 10-20 years for that project. A larger pot or in ground will help speed up growth. Allowing some sacrifice branches to grow will help with both growth and taper in the trunk. Most of the current branches won't be part of any larger tree so no need to worry about any of them. Looks like most of the current branches come form very close together on the trunk. Do not allow all those to grow and thicken or you're likely to have bad reverse taper and pruning branches growing close together leaves big scars that can be hard to hide, even with shari.
Keep wiring new growth each year to continue the bends and twists. Trees look very odd with bends down low then straight sections above. Even wire and bend sacrifice branches. Straight jins on twisted trunks look nearly as bad.

MAJ

Seed
Reaction score
It will take time to grow to that size. I would probably allow 10-20 years for that project. A larger pot or in ground will help speed up growth. Allowing some sacrifice branches to grow will help with both growth and taper in the trunk. Most of the current branches won't be part of any larger tree so no need to worry about any of them. Looks like most of the current branches come form very close together on the trunk. Do not allow all those to grow and thicken or you're likely to have bad reverse taper and pruning branches growing close together leaves big scars that can be hard to hide, even with shari.
Keep wiring new growth each year to continue the bends and twists. Trees look very odd with bends down low then straight sections above. Even wire and bend sacrifice branches. Straight jins on twisted trunks look nearly as bad.
Thank you very much for this! it clarified some things for me. I didn’t think about planting in-ground, but I’m going to consider it.. the other option is a 3gal 10”x10” Rainscience fabric pot that I was going to experiment with.

Top Bottom