Twisted but nice looking trunk - styling suggestions

Hbhaska

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Just got this raw material. It’s a ficus with large twisted trunk. Don’t want to do a traditional style because I would like to expose most of the lovely twists in that large trunk. I’m considering a broom style or something along those lines (see pictures). Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thank you B0E67617-80A8-4A7A-857E-277662D7E372.jpeg3FE2A847-ED84-448C-9C1D-CF72B593543D.jpegC1535CBF-FB80-4E37-AF26-E1A4D7A24E9E.jpeg4CE9971F-8B13-4894-8355-7E943A72D49A.jpeg

Hbhaska

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Edit - I cut off all of the foliage from those v-shaped split in the trunk. I kept the foliage on the thinner offshoot.

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Chop it low and you get just another mouse. I would take the three uppers and chop them lower and make a low, wide canopy to show off the unusual trunk. In time the trunk becomes prominent and something special, especially as opposed just another mouse. Eye candy.F 1.JPG

Hbhaska

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Chop it low and you get just another mouse. I would take the three uppers and chop them lower and make a low, wide canopy to show off the unusual trunk. In time the trunk becomes prominent and something special, especially as opposed just another mouse. Eye candy.View attachment 351015
Thank you. I like the idea of leaving most of the twisted trunk and developing the foliage from the three uppers, after chopping them of course. So in essence like the one in the picture below. Pardon my green scribbles. My iPhone art is left something to be desired.975E9562-E706-4510-B757-263E116FD491.jpeg

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Yes. I ruined a fig a long time ago, lost all the lower branches. I didn't know what to do and just left it in the corner for a couple years. It eventually grew the top out and had foliage that looked ~ healthy enough, so I decided to try to make a houseplant out of it. When I started working on it, the bark where I lost all of the branches was ugly and I started to peel it off and revealed a sinuous deadwood underneath. I carefully cleaned up the edges and now ~12 years later it is the feature that makes Too Tall Jones an interesting tree...
FGM 2.JPG
FGM 2019_1206EditBonsai0017x.JPG
Sometimes fate steers us away from the formula tree and gives us an individual with character.

Hbhaska

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Yes. I ruined a fig a long time ago, lost all the lower branches. I didn't know what to do and just left it in the corner for a couple years. It eventually grew the top out and had foliage that looked ~ healthy enough, so I decided to try to make a houseplant out of it. When I started working on it, the bark where I lost all of the branches was ugly and I started to peel it off and revealed a sinuous deadwood underneath. I carefully cleaned up the edges and now ~12 years later it is the feature that makes Too Tall Jones an interesting tree...
View attachment 351061
View attachment 351062
Sometimes fate steers us away from the formula tree and gives us an individual with character.
Now that’s a tree with a lot of character. Love it. Thanks for sharing!

Top Bottom