AndyJ

Shohin
Reaction score
A new pickup...

Yesterday I introduced some Shari, reduced the jins a bit, and repotted it into some fresh soil and an old Bigei pot.

This year, I'll pull in the apex a little, get the primary branches twisted up some more, and let it grow!
Hi Brian.

I’ve just reread this thread (lovely tree by the way!) and wonder, please, if can I ask a question? When you create shari, do you have to do anything to the new exposed area of trunk? And new bark edge? I see you marked it out first and then removed the bark, but I was wondering whether you paint it in lime sulphur straight away or do you have to leave it for a year or two to dry out / mature?

I’ve got something niggling at the back of my mind that says you should remove the bark and then cover it in putty to encourage the bark edge to callous over. Is that right or am I going mad?

Many thanks

Andy

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
should remove the bark and then cover it in putty to encourage the bark edge to callous over
I give the edges a lick f petroleum jelly to stop the cambium from drying out too fast, and aid in it "bulging out" from the edges

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Hi Brian.

I’ve just reread this thread (lovely tree by the way!) and wonder, please, if can I ask a question? When you create shari, do you have to do anything to the new exposed area of trunk? And new bark edge? I see you marked it out first and then removed the bark, but I was wondering whether you paint it in lime sulphur straight away or do you have to leave it for a year or two to dry out / mature?

I’ve got something niggling at the back of my mind that says you should remove the bark and then cover it in putty to encourage the bark edge to callous over. Is that right or am I going mad?

Many thanks

Andy
Nope, I don’t put anything on the edges or the Shari. I do wait a few months before applying LS.

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Update on this tree after it was restyled last year, and repotted this spring. Eventually it will get a more appropriate pot, but for now this works to settle it into the new planting position. This summer it was left to grow unchecked, and will get trimmed back this fall at some point.
E794A30A-BDC0-401C-B87F-BC9085B68BA5.jpeg

Top Bottom