Twisted kishu whip - 9 months

Mame-Mo

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8B
This may not look like much from the photos, but the growth so far this year has Exceeded my expectations. I’m definitely looking forward to growing my own cuttings to create new twisted shimpaku stock to work in the future. If anyone has been curious about starting this process it is moving much faster than I had expected. We’re still many years away from something really nice, but I’m happy with where it’s at so far. Looking forward to up-potting in the spring and seeing another years growth. As always any observations or suggestions are appreciated.

Attachments

• 84777999-52E9-4F5F-B5DB-D208F32E0BA6.jpeg
    84777999-52E9-4F5F-B5DB-D208F32E0BA6.jpeg
    285 KB · Views: 185
  • 0A4B2A87-5A9B-4659-BC27-A6F8B18E07B4.jpeg
    0A4B2A87-5A9B-4659-BC27-A6F8B18E07B4.jpeg
    150 KB · Views: 175

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Cool little tree!
When did you start this? DO you have any before images?

Consider making a sharin in there, also twisted, which you cut out every few years to get a fluted shari over time.?!

Mame-Mo

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8B
Cool little tree!
When did you start this? DO you have any before images?

Consider making a sharin in there, also twisted, which you cut out every few years to get a fluted shari over time.?!

I don't have a before picture but I started this in December, (although the photo to the right is the tree the day I twisted it up) but it was just a 2 year old straight whip about the width of a pencil and maybe 10 inches long, and now it's probably the width of a sharpie maybe a little less. I will try to introduce shari in the future, but for now I just want it to grow as fast as possible. I'm not sure if this is the case, but I've been under the impression that some of the deeper wire scars from this process helps create a basis for shari in the future, but the only video I've ever seen where that was claimed was in japanese with horrible subtitles and I have no idea how to find it again.

Mame-Mo

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8B

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
were you referring to this?
Sorry, missed your response before. Thx to @Njyamadori this thread popped back into view.
Yes, I was thinking along those lines. Put a shari in and as the tree develops the areas without bark do not grow and the ones that do have bark continue developing, making for more interesting trunkshapes

Top Bottom