Twisted Nejikan Pomegranate #1

BonsaiDTLA

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
This twisted (neji-kan) pomegranate was ground-grown for years and then dug last year.

Here are photos from before initial styling.

IMG_3699.jpg

IMG_3702.jpg

IMG_3706.jpg

IMG_3709.jpg

And obligatory after initial styling

IMG_3718.jpg

IMG_3715.jpg

IMG_3716.jpg

IMG_3717.jpg

Photos (post-prune) #1 and #3 are the two options in picking the front. I prefer #1 given how the tree has developed, but #3 has a cleaner trunk-line.

I hope to continue its progression and to share my journey with this wonderful community.

Johnnyd

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
This twisted (neji-kan) pomegranate was ground-grown for years and then dug last year.

Here are photos from before initial styling.

View attachment 344273

View attachment 344274

View attachment 344275

View attachment 344276

And obligatory after initial styling

View attachment 344277

View attachment 344278

View attachment 344279

View attachment 344280

Photos (post-prune) #1 and #3 are the two options in picking the front. I prefer #1 given how the tree has developed, but #3 has a cleaner trunk-line.

I hope to continue its progression and to share my journey with this wonderful community.
I like the 3rd styled picture. I would be tempted to reduce the middle trunk. Nice material!

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
#1 - the twisting is most obvious. Probably is the best front for now.

The front and back of a bonsai often changes as the tree develops. Much depends on where buds pop after your initial styling. Don't be too fixated on a single option for a front. Keep your options open for a while. Round pots are good, LOL

BonsaiDTLA

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I like #1, it shows the twist in the trunk more and it looks like the apex is coming forward more than in 2
The apex direction was a significant factor in my decision towards choosing #1 as the front too! Thanks for sharing your thoughts :)

BonsaiDTLA

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I like the 3rd styled picture. I would be tempted to reduce the middle trunk. Nice material!
After a few more looks, there does appear to be something hidden there! I will continue to consider.. I might be finding myself chopping off some wood in the future

BonsaiDTLA

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
#1 - the twisting is most obvious. Probably is the best front for now.

The front and back of a bonsai often changes as the tree develops. Much depends on where buds pop after your initial styling. Don't be too fixated on a single option for a front. Keep your options open for a while. Round pots are good, LOL
Thanks for your thoughts, and I agree -- the design of a tree can be very fluid. I might end up choosing a completely uncontemplated front after a few seasons.

I'm now on the hunt for a nice pot to complement this tree. Currently thinking about something round, with a lip to make the pot more masculine.

Examples attached (though one of them is a Chinese Quince)
2010pom.jpg 20102pom.jpg

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
That second pot is the famous antique Chinese pot that shows up under a different lucky deciduous tree every winter. Go through the Kokufu albums and play where’s waldo. As much as I like the bag-shape pot, I think it’s too delicate for a big twisted trunk Pom.

BonsaiDTLA

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Pulled it out of the pot

IMG_6237.jpg

After I repot

63294657426__B265364E-AE93-4857-A630-C7DA11A8D4BE.fullsizerender.jpg

I should have used a larger pot and I should have centered the tree in the pot more.. Always learning when working with trees, I love it! There is also more nebari buried under the soil, it will be exposed once it is out of the training pot.

This should be ready to be fitted for a nice clay pot after one or two growing seasons

Top Bottom