Twisted Pomegranate

small trees

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8B
Thank you! I'm thinking of doing some root work next spring to prepare it for its first pot sometime in the near future. You really have to see this tree in person. The character is really outstanding and it's only getting better.

small trees

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8B
Christmas shots. I removed what leaves remained so that I could take a couple pictures. I'm planning to do its first round of root work this spring. The large branches need to go, unless I choose the first picture as a front, in which case one could stay as a leader. The only problem is that it would be moving directly away from the viewer. Alternatively, I could use the second picture as a front and shorten it to the branch that is almost straight up. Input welcome.

IMG_20191225_113845.jpg

IMG_20191225_113932.jpg

small trees

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8B
Waited too late and cannot edit the previous post, but here is a paint virt I did for each side. I circled a branch in red that has a "u" shape instead of an "n" shape, so it would probably need to be cut back and re-grown. This grew under the air layer I took from the tree during the summer. Branching would need to be thicker and wider than I drew but I am not very good at paint and this is the best I could manage. I could also try to get a branch on the first curve on the left but I am n ot sure if that would feel like there is too much of the tree going that way if it is the first branch and too thick.

20191225virt1.jpg

Attachments

• 20191225virt1.jpg
    20191225virt1.jpg
    216.5 KB · Views: 4

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
Personally, I dislike styling deciduous trees to a triangle shape. Like a spruce or a pine. Turn the triangle upside down, pointy end at the base of the trunk, that makes a more realistic deciduous tree. At least to my eye.

Essentially think more toward a broom or broom like style.

Just my 2 cents.

thumblessprimate1

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Personally, I dislike styling deciduous trees to a triangle shape. Like a spruce or a pine. Turn the triangle upside down, pointy end at the base of the trunk, that makes a more realistic deciduous tree. At least to my eye.

Just my 2 cents.
Yes, the best ones I've seen are broom like or like Oak trees and highly ramified. This one were it mine, I'd encourage it to grow into a twin trunk. The straight not twisted portion doesn't look interesting; I'd work to get the apex about the second or third branch in the virtual. That's a very nice trunk!

kale

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
clip_image001.png

small trees

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8B

Just my 2 cents.

You are right. I will have to take another look at the tree and see if this can be achieved with the current branching.

Yes, the best ones I've seen are broom like or like Oak trees and highly ramified. This one were it mine, I'd encourage it to grow into a twin trunk. The straight not twisted portion doesn't look interesting; I'd work to get the apex about the second or third branch in the virtual. That's a very nice trunk!

Thank you! What branches would you try to make into the twin trunks? Are you looking at the first photo on post 43? One of those two would be going straight away from the viewer. One thing that you cannot see from these photos is that there are two very straight areas that I am unsure how to remedy. The angle of the image that I used to make the virt a couple posts up disguises it pretty well. I'll post a photo from my phone in a minute to show you what I mean.

thumblessprimate1

Masterpiece
Reaction score
You are right. I will have to take another look at the tree and see if this can be achieved with the current branching.

Thank you! What branches would you try to make into the twin trunks? Are you looking at the first photo on post 43? One of those two would be going straight away from the viewer. One thing that you cannot see from these photos is that there are two very straight areas that I am unsure how to remedy. The angle of the image that I used to make the virt a couple posts up disguises it pretty well. I'll post a photo from my phone in a minute to show you what I mean.
I wasn't considering any branch to become a second trunk. Only suggesting that a graft or a shoot might grow somewhere low to become one. That's all I can offer. It looks like it would look better with a second trunk to me.

Maybe like this:
20200109_083842.jpg

Last edited:

thumblessprimate1

Masterpiece
Reaction score
I take back some of the things I said. Obviously remembered incorrectly. 😅
This is example of how I like pomegranate. It's very extreme.
506a770bfd7892023d83cbaed1b81087.jpg

small trees

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8B
I was thinking to myself that this tree didn't need a second trunk :p like your pic and @Leo in N E Illinois suggested, I think that an old oak style would be the way to go. I'll try to get some more pics and maybe work on a virt or two using existing branching soon.

small trees

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8B
The weather here has been in the 70s and 80s for several days..tree is trying to bud out. It is supposed to drop below freezing at night for 2 nights next week. I was planning to dig the tree this spring. Does this affect the timeline any or should I still wait a month or so?

IMG_20200115_100709.jpg

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
I'm not very familiar with your local climate. How many weeks are you ahead of "average last frost date"? You can dig now, but if you do, you will have to bring this tree inside to protect from below freezing temperatures any time a cold snap threatens. It is only January.

Yes, the buds look like they are at about the right stage to do a repot now. Just know you will need to protect this if the weather returns to "normal" and we get another month or two of freezing weather.

small trees

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8B
I'm not very familiar with your local climate. How many weeks are you ahead of "average last frost date"? You can dig now, but if you do, you will have to bring this tree inside to protect from below freezing temperatures any time a cold snap threatens. It is only January.

Yes, the buds look like they are at about the right stage to do a repot now. Just know you will need to protect this if the weather returns to "normal" and we get another month or two of freezing weather.
I'm at least a month off of the average. But through this point the last two years, we had between 350-450 chill points/hours and this year we are at zero. It's been stupid warm all "winter".

Edit: it's worth noting that this tree is in the ground and some serious root work is probably going to be needed.

Last edited:

small trees

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8B
Well, I dug it and roots actually looked decent. A bunch of dirt/sand near the base had suffocated a lot of roots that would have been beneficial. Should have cleaned out the root ball before I put it in the ground. Anyway, it's done.

IMG_20200115_174543.jpg
IMG_20200115_174610.jpg

MrWunderful

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
Can you do the shuffle? If you only have to protect this one tree, just put it in the garage or something if the temp gets scary.

small trees

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8B
Yeah, I only have a few that I need to be careful with. I have an area to keep them safe, and I only have one day out of the next 10-14 that is supposed to be close to freezing at night.

Top Bottom