Twisted Pomegranate

BobbyLane

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Here's one i recently chopped down from a taller tree, you can just see that its beginning to develop a twist from the base....
20180408_174841 by Bobby Lane, on Flickr
20180408_174851 by Bobby Lane, on Flickr
20180408_174947 by Bobby Lane, on Flickr

i think its punica granatum nana, so has a smaller leaf than the normal punica granatum

Cgris

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Pomegranates are hardy to zone 7, so you're fine. But I strongly advise you put it in a nursery can. How big is the trunk?
Only 1/2 inch in diameter. Trying to send a picture.

small trees

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8B
Some more photos. I took a video rotating it 360 degrees but am on my phone and can't upload it yet.

View attachment 185561View attachment 185560View attachment 185559View attachment 185558View attachment 185557

To get the thread moving forward a bit, does anyone have suggestions on where to chop when the time comes? I think it needs to be where the trunk cuts back to the left about 6-7 inches up the tree, but i feel like that will not have quite enough taper. Any suggestions are welcome.

small trees

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8B
That isn't my tree. I don't mind a little off-topic but I feel like my thread has been derailed.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
That isn't my tree. I don't mind a little off-topic but I feel like my thread has been derailed.

This may have to do with the problems we've been having with pictures showing up different....
@Bonsai Nut ...

I Am seeing your tree....

Try refreshing.

Sorce

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Lol! Derailed?

I saw about 25 responses in the "Bitchiness thread that showed up as RockM's first response....(no one made mention of it?)
Gotta wonder how much straight BS hate is in that thread because of it! Lol! It will never make good sense!

Hahahahahahaha!

Sorce

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
BTW!

This tree is fantastic!

Pom...told you @Leo in N E Illinois when I hear Pom I think of Leo's 40 year oops!

For me, that trunk is great, but it will be better with time and a bit of size....
Seems a bit larger will also allow for a better final leaf size proportion....

I like the suggested chop....but about 5 years down the road!

This trunk is TOO kill to not commit to excellence IMO...

If you can get to 100% dope with a chop now...go for it...
But I feel you are 10-20% away...

Sorce

small trees

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8B
This may have to do with the problems we've been having with pictures showing up different....
@Bonsai Nut ...

I Am seeing your tree....

Try refreshing.

Sorce
You are right. I saw a post from earlier in the thread when I looked at it this morning. I also hadn't had my coffee haha. My apologies. Thank you for the virt @ihaveaspaceship .

BTW!

This tree is fantastic!

Pom...told you @Leo in N E Illinois when I hear Pom I think of Leo's 40 year oops!

For me, that trunk is great, but it will be better with time and a bit of size....
Seems a bit larger will also allow for a better final leaf size proportion....

I like the suggested chop....but about 5 years down the road!

This trunk is TOO kill to not commit to excellence IMO...

If you can get to 100% dope with a chop now...go for it...
But I feel you are 10-20% away...

Sorce
Thanks man. I definitely am excited about the future for this one. I was planning on letting it grow a bit as well. I was just wondering if anyone saw a line that I didn't. I guess I did want to foster general discussion as well so I was completely out of line with my earlier post.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Nothing was out of line !

Of discussion...
There is a thing where you can utilize some learned skill in buying material via photos...

And in that I say you have done very well!

The before photo's, I'm assuming from the seller, also very good, I respect that.

In an effort to find the best stock, I think these skills are necessary and worth pointing out, when someone like yourself manages a good on-line score.

I'd love to hear your thought process...
What made you pull the trigger?

Sorce

small trees

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8B
Nothing was out of line !

Of discussion...
There is a thing where you can utilize some learned skill in buying material via photos...

And in that I say you have done very well!

The before photo's, I'm assuming from the seller, also very good, I respect that.

In an effort to find the best stock, I think these skills are necessary and worth pointing out, when someone like yourself manages a good on-line score.

I'd love to hear your thought process...
What made you pull the trigger?

Sorce
Thank you for the compliment. Well, I keep an eye on what this seller has for sale. They don't update their online stock very often, but I check in every now and again to see what is available. I have made one purchase from them in the past and the tree as good or better in person than it did in photos. That is to say, they did not embellish the photos any, which gave me confidence when I saw this tree for sale. Also, while I have been unable to have any trees for the last few years, I have been reading and studying trees and progression threads here and elsewhere online, trying to develop an eye. And finally, there are not any bonsai nurseries within driving distance of where I live, so the vast majority of my purchases are online. After seeing enough photos online, you can tell when trees are healthy, have potential, have had root work neglected, etc.

Last edited:

small trees

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8B
This tree went in my new growing beds last week; it will probably stay there for a few years. One thing that occurred to me after planting it was the winter temperatures. I was used to bringing it inside when it got below 40; will that still be an issue since it is in the ground? It rarely gets below freezing here but will get below 40 pretty often during the wintertime nights. If that is going to be an issue with it then I'll dig it back up at the end of the year and put it back in a grow box.

IMG_20180506_144845025.jpg

AppleBonsai

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
You will have no issues with those winter temperatures. This variety is routinely exposed to temperatures in the 20s here and they bounce back in spring with no problems. I have probably close to ten and haven’t lost or seen dieback. That being said, they do best/better in dry hot climates.

small trees

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8B
Spring update. I removed a couple crossing roots and am thinking of layering off part of the top. It thickened nicely last year. I took a few pictures of possible fronts but would love some input from you guys.

1 year ago:

04062018.jpg

Today:

IMG_20190311_173242012.jpg

IMG_20190311_173253553.jpg

Front 1

IMG_20190311_173149795.jpg

Front 2 (slightly rotated)

IMG_20190311_173157917.jpg

Front 3 (not a big fan)

IMG_20190311_173223103.jpg
IMG_20190311_173229165.jpg

I am thinking of layering off the top since I plan to let this grow for another year or two. I would layer it below the trident fork here at the top of the photo and then remove 2 of the forks:

IMG_20190311_173537542.jpg

small trees

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8B
I separated a layer from this tree today and took a picture of the trunk. Crazy what difference a year makes. Trunk diameter is about 3" at 3-4" above soil. I'll be leaving it alone until next year when I will try to work on a proper leader for the Apex. I know I shouldn't have bothered layering off of this tree but I did it and it's done now. I could definitely have used the middle in development.

IMG_20190826_184609.jpg
IMG_20190826_184639.jpg

Top Bottom