Twisted Pomegranite

pga7602

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Been working with this tree for over a year. In the next month or so, I plan to repot into an anderson tray and start working on the roots.

Would like to hear thoughts on where to go from here as far as styling?

20150126_162044.jpg

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Well... you need to decide on a vision for your design. You currently have three stubby trunks. Unless you are going with a three trunk design, you need to make a plan for dealing with the trunk(s) you aren't going to use.

pga7602

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Well... you need to decide on a vision for your design. You currently have three stubby trunks. Unless you are going with a three trunk design, you need to make a plan for dealing with the trunk(s) you aren't going to use.

Thanks, I've been aiming for something like this:

2010-11-DSC_0162DNGofv.jpg

edprocoat

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone

That and it could use a few branches first, definitely before you want to put it into a root trimming pot which will slow down the growth.

Oh and the one you are aiming for does not have all three trunks emanating from the same location which is a bit distracting although unique. I don't know if at this point you will get reverse taper as its pretty thick already and I believe these are slow growing but it will make styling problematic.

ed

Last edited:

jk_lewis

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
Those "branches" are MUCH too fat; vastly out of proportion. Shorten them and start working on the formation of smaller branches around the chops.

It doesn't seem to be twisting. Are you certain of the variety?

pga7602

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Those "branches" are MUCH too fat; vastly out of proportion. Shorten them and start working on the formation of smaller branches around the chops.

It doesn't seem to be twisting. Are you certain of the variety?

Yes I'm cetain of the variety and the base is tarting to twist but it's hard to see from this angle. Where do you propose I chop?

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
To me the current shape is appealing. I would suggest you think about finished height of the tree before chopping it, as the trunks are the same width pretty much back to the main trunk. If you plan on a tree about twice as high as this one, you might get away with where the chops are now. Can you plant this one out? I think you have a lot of growing to catch up the continuation of the trunks in size, so it might be helpful for a while. (But I don't know TP culture, so I could be wrong that they are faster in ground...) I suppose you could carve some of the trunks down, to help with the transition. But I don't know how these do with deadwood, or if you even want deadwood on this tree.
This is just my opinion, to me it looks much like a natural maple.

bonsai barry

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
If you do decide to chop, save the eliminated trunk and stick it in the ground. I've had a lot of success in rooting branches from this variety of tree.

pbethune

Mame
Reaction score
Been working with this tree for over a year. In the next month or so, I plan to repot into an anderson tray and start working on the roots.

Would like to hear thoughts on where to go from here as far as styling?

20150126_162044.jpg

Would like to see some carving or a hollow on the large smooth cut pictured.

Top Bottom