Twisting Shimpaku 2

tree4me

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I'm not 100% happy with the way it looks . Mostly because I twisted everything towards the front and didn't think about until I was done, but..WTH. Time changes all things. Left some sacrificial branches and a lot of foliage for health reasons. The angle isn't exactly where I want it either but that will be corrected when repotted

.twisted shimpaku15.jpg twisted shimpaku14.jpg twisted shimpaku13.jpg twisted shimpaku12.jpg

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I have a radical idea for you:

Those corkscrew branches? Make them even tighter.

Now, build your tree out of the other branches!

Years from now, Jin the corkscrews!

Think I'm crazy? Hardly! Jim Gremel did a bunch of these, and now he sells them for $1,500 each! Some as much as $2000!

tree4me

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone

Think I'm crazy? Hardly! Jim Gremel did a bunch of these, and now he sells them for $1,500 each! Some as much as $2000!
I've been searching twisted juniper images. Some I like, some seem to create the image of reverse taper...
I'm gonna to tighten them a little at a time. I have 2 more I'm gonna make real tight, something like these. Excuse the red lines they help me visualize the flow of the twist
twisted shimpaku16.jpg twisted shimpaku5.jpg

Rusty Davis

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I definitely like some of those twisted up ones. I'm thinking about picking up 10 this spring wad them up and put them in my garden.

Ape In The Trees

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b

I think you're right on the money (heheheh).

Ryan Neil is always stressing that the value of the juniper is deeply rooted to the interplay between life and death. If you don't plan on including "death" in your juniper then it's not going to have the highest [aesthetic] value down the line. I have a bunch (a dozen or so) of seedling shimpaku and at first i wanted to stake them upright and was concerned about their "tree-shape." Then I realized i was being silly and they aren't going to be ready for at least a decade (more like two), and that i should just contort the hell out of them until then.

Top Bottom