Twisty shohin trident from scratch

keri-wms

Shohin
Reaction score
I wired this before sticking it in the ground, I initially wanted to go Neagari but one root took over too fast. The thinner root left a spiral groove that looks just like wire scarring! I’m layering it to re-start a nebari, it can’t get any thicker without some silly reverse taper appearing. I’m leaving branch selection to get upper taper until after the layer has worked....
863BDDD4-5BF1-4794-98AB-6DD47DE9BAAA.jpeg
ED47AE6F-1FD1-49A9-A428-8BA9AB6AEB76.jpeg
EBD84EBE-33B8-4E86-B8DF-CD63D825B20B.jpeg
A030C602-05D8-4030-A397-625A9C10F683.jpeg

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
Stray roots on trident can be a real pain.
Love the twists in that trunk. How many did you break before getting that sort of bends in a trident?

I would not even bother with the tourniquet. I would just chop the roots there and plant it. Tridents grow new roots with extreme ease.

keri-wms

Shohin
Reaction score
Stray roots on trident can be a real pain.
Love the twists in that trunk. How many did you break before getting that sort of bends in a trident?

I would not even bother with the tourniquet. I would just chop the roots there and plant it. Tridents grow new roots with extreme ease.
Yeah you can see it was already launching new roots at the soil surface - thought I may as well play it safe, the wire might add some handy swelling though

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
the wire might add some handy swelling though
Interesting concept.
I assume that any healing will cause swelling so would not cutting it straight off also add to the thickness.
In actual fact I have noted that strong lateral roots adds most to the buttress of trunks so in that case I think that getting it to rely on the lateral roots alone and probably also grow some more at the same time would actually speed the process but probably only by a fraction.
There are always many ways to arrive at a similar result. Enjoy the journey with this one.

keri-wms

Shohin
Reaction score
Interesting concept.
I assume that any healing will cause swelling so would not cutting it straight off also add to the thickness.
In actual fact I have noted that strong lateral roots adds most to the buttress of trunks so in that case I think that getting it to rely on the lateral roots alone and probably also grow some more at the same time would actually speed the process but probably only by a fraction.
There are always many ways to arrive at a similar result. Enjoy the journey with this one.
I find some trees have a dramatic reaction to a wire loop, for instance may I present The “Turnip” Oak!24889829-3984-4D6D-824B-ACB1CB0D4909.jpeg
4402A7D6-20E2-41AE-85D0-94E0377D2BAE.jpeg

keri-wms

Shohin
Reaction score
I forgot to reply regarding the twists, it was either a weak 2yr shoot, or possibly a root that I initially wired. Annoyingly I probably have photos to document the process/jog my memory......”somewhere”!

Top Bottom