Two 95 degree days in a row.....

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Yesterday, only one maple went partially crispy...
Today, both maples and both Hornbeams are showing it....
Is it the heat?
Is it the sun plus the heat?
Is it the humidity plus all the above?
Jeez man......
Makes me sad.

Maple #1
IMAG3310.jpg
Maple #2
IMAG3309.jpg
KH #1 & 2
IMAG3308.jpg
IMAG3307.jpg

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Not sure...we went away for a mini anniversary trip. The back patio gets morning dappled sun and is cool in the afternoon. I pondered setting mine back out. But told the hubs...I'm letting them stay there. They aren't stressing or showing any ill effects. Sorry to see yours showing signs of stress by Mother Nature turning up the heat. I tossed the sprinkler over on the landscape Japanese maple to help it today...add some moisture to the equation. I was told they lose moisture in their leaves when hot...which is why they burn. One told me to wet the tree down. Forget who told me that...but it's something I do for it when home.

Sun/heat would be my guess.

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Sun plus heat is my thought but especially the heat. How many hours of sun do they get everyday?
They are on the side of the deck that gets the least sun. It's but it's still a lot of sun. The shadow from the house slowly covers them starting around 1pm and that side is shaded out by 3pm. Before then, it's dappled and full sun mixed (the dappling is from huge tulip poplars overhead, and the closer it gets to noon, they get full sun).

I moved them closer the house, where I usually put my azaleas. We'll see if it gets worse....I also worked late both days, so watering was less that optimal, they may have dried out a bit.

Not sure...we went away for a mini anniversary trip. The back patio gets morning dappled sun and is cool in the afternoon. I pondered setting mine back out. But told the hubs...I'm letting them stay there. They aren't stressing or showing any ill effects. Sorry to see yours showing signs of stress by Mother Nature turning up the heat. I tossed the sprinkler over on the landscape Japanese maple to help it today...add some moisture to the equation. I was told they lose moisture in their leaves when hot...which is why they burn. One told me to wet the tree down. Forget who told me that...but it's something I do for it when home.

Sun/heat would be my guess.
Thank you Darlene!

GGB

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I ALWAYS brag on here about how I keep my Japanese maples in full sun with no ill effects, but after our third 90something degree day in a row (after a super cool/chilly spring) and I have a few crispy edges. I haven't been doing bonsai more than a couple years but never had a problem with this.

My thought is that the temperature changed suddenly, assuming MD is similar to PA so far. And not only did it change suddenly but only days before the solstice (longest day of the year) and that was a lot for the sensetive stuff. I dunno .. just guessing. That's also assuming after the solstice the "sun hours" start ticking backwards, but maybe they don't because of some orbital math thing

Nybonsai12

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Mine tend to look like that in August after getting beat up by sun and heat. I'd try to place them in a spot that gets dappled morning sun and afternoon shade to see if it helps.

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
My 13 day forecast. I will let you know how I do. So far we have had lots of days in the mid nineties, like today, and so far I have pristine maples. We will see after this 13 day bought with the heat. Mostly it's about roots, hydration and placement. When all three are good then the trees will be happy.

WED
JUN 14 93°61°

THU
JUN 15 94°64°

FRI
JUN 16 98°71°

SAT
JUN 17 103°73°

SUN
JUN 18 107°74°

MON
JUN 19
107°72°

TUE
JUN 20 106°74°

WED
JUN 21 108°75°

THU
JUN 22 109°74°

FRI
JUN 23 108°72°

SAT
JUN 24 106°71°

SUN
JUN 25 104°68°

MON
JUN 26 100°67°

These trees here get full sun until about noon, then they are shaded by trees on the property. Watered by timer at 10:30 AM and 2:30 PM then watered by hand at 4 PM by me.
DSC_0001.JPG DSC_0002.JPG DSC_0003.JPG DSC_0004.JPG

You can't screw around with shohin. One must be diligent with the soil mix and the water and watch the placement all the time. To the left is the East and to the right is the West. When the sun comes up in the morning, the conifers on the right end get full sun untill about 1 PM. On the left side the elms are on the outside which gets some full sun but not much. The small maples are all on the inside under the shade cloth. Two hours of full sun would turn them into a cinder!
DSC_0005.JPG DSC_0006.JPG

Last edited:

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
These tridents get full sun all day until about 5 PM when they finally get some shade by the trees. Thats why the leaves are all light and red. They are still un-burned, but that can always change if I do something wrong!
DSC_0007.JPG DSC_0008.JPG DSC_0009.JPG

StoneCloud

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Ouch sorry to hear, seems it's just cosmetic as it looks like the trees are still doing just fine.

I wish I had 2 days UNDER 95 during the summer :mad::mad: LOL

I think this is due to a combo of sun heat and probably low humidity those days if I had to take a guess.

If it helps what I do here in the summer:

My trees only get direct sun from 6:30am until 11am. The rest of the day they are under a 75% shade cloth set up so that the sun won't be direct again from the west until 7pm.

I also water 3 times a day.....and mist certain trees.

At 100 degrees the trees go dormant!

AZbonsai

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Looks like sun damage to me. Heading for 113 f on Sunday here. I have my trees on the east side of the house so they are shaded during the brutal time of the day. I try to order my trees on the bench in such a way that those who can not handle as much sun are shaded first. I am not up to three times a day watering but I am two and a mist. Going to have to do the shade cloth later next week. I live vicariously through BNut as far as maples go....would not even go through the hastle.

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
These tridents get full sun all day until about 5 PM when they finally get some shade by the trees. Thats why the leaves are all light and red. They are still un-burned, but that can always change if I do something wrong!
View attachment 149179 View attachment 149180 View attachment 149181
Wow, I need some trident in my life....
Gotta get back to meehans an see how those field grown tridents are doing....
Last time I went, in Jan, they had just been dug up recently...so I passed.
That'll probably be my next tree purchase.

gallina1594

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Thank you!!! Totally forgot to check my trees this evening! Omw to survey!!!

miker

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
93F yesterday, 96F today and bone dry under full sun. Miserable for most plants and people. Bonsai and sticks in pots all look okay. Watering everyday.

I think the osmocote I have applied is suddenly releasing at an excessive rate, as several of my potted trees are showing wilted new growing tips and associated leaves. It is definitely not from lack of water. Perhaps it is the way the foliage mass is reaching equilibium with the limited root mass to support it?

StoneCloud

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
93F yesterday, 96F today and bone dry under full sun. Miserable for most plants and people. Bonsai and sticks in pots all look okay. Watering everyday.

I think the osmocote I have applied is suddenly releasing at an excessive rate, as several of my potted trees are showing wilted new growing tips and associated leaves. It is definitely not from lack of water. Perhaps it is the way the foliage mass is reaching equilibium with the limited root mass to support it?

If you are using granular fert.........the more you water the more you are fertilizing. So if you increased your watering that could be the reason if there are too many granules in the pot.....

But from this wilting could also be due to the excessive heat or dryness

Top Bottom