Two Big Additions to the Garden

Josh88

Shohin
Reaction score
These two trees have come into my care this past weekend and I had some serious rearranging on my benches to do. The first is an elm that according to its tag has been in training for over 60 years. It is labeled as a Chinese elm, but I have my doubts about this and would love to get some input from anyone as to a definitive i.d. It has beautiful bark and will take some time to rein in the branching and improve taper of branches, but will be a great tree to work with and a real show stopper in time I think.
Next up is a pomegranate that is not new to the game either. I did a little pruning of the strongest growth and will now sit with this one for a while before making any changes. A possible angle change in the future, but for now I will just enjoy it. It has one flower bud getting ready to open as well. These two are great additions and I’m thrilled to have the chance to move them forward.
625BA580-2F96-409D-A078-5A58CE49D388.jpeg4E59A565-33E0-40A0-BFB3-77881BF2BE20.jpeg313D6DF1-763B-4500-B91A-06BDC55F26E7.jpeg
EDA8FFBC-238B-4516-A5B8-74E607C80091.jpeg

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
Nice trees, the elm looks like it has been in training, or a pot for 60 years.

It could be one of the cork bark varieties which would explain why it does not have the exfoliating bark, but who knows? Can you get a detailed provenance from the previous owner, if not, it will be a mystery.

Josh88

Shohin
Reaction score
Nice trees, the elm looks like it has been in training, or a pot for 60 years.

It could be one of the cork bark varieties which would explain why it does not have the exfoliating bark, but who knows? Can you get a detailed provenance from the previous owner, if not, it will be a mystery.
Sadly the owner is no longer with us to answer any questions about them. A mystery it will have to be : )

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
The elm close ups look right for Chinese elm. Doesn't look like the corky variety. It is more likely this has been grown from seed which can yield a big range of bark type - from smooth peeling through partly rough to definite corky bark.

jason biggs

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
11a
The elm looks stunning.
The mature bark and the old moss really tells a story...

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Very nice!
I have a Chinese elm with heavy rough bark, that is not a corker....dunno if its a special one or not, not according to the seller nursery.

Have fun with them!

Tieball

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
The close-up photo on the new leaf and stem growth...especially the color of the new-growth stem.....look like Chinese Elm to me. The Elm tree family is big though....a lot of variation and similar characteristics. The mystery continues for you.

Both are excellent trees. It’s good to read that you’ll sit back, study and think for awhile before jumping in and making changes. The trees need to get acclimated to your care plan and climate....and during the thinking time you’ll discover new things about the trees....things you like and things you don’t like. But you’ll approach with a thoughtful plan.

Changes? When the time is right, if it were my Elm tree, I’d begin a slow, methodical, deliberate and gentle removal of that upper trunk moss before it disintegrates a lot of the bark. I’ve had moss destroy bark layers and furrows. The trunk bark is fabulous, outstanding age characteristics...and it’s difficult to almost impossible to replace bark of that character and color. However, on the flip side of that moss removal thinking though....is that the moss contributes a great deal to a visual impression of an ancient undisturbed age. Removal could uncover damaged bark that would present an appearance nightmare and a dropping of your shoulders in frustration. Doing nothing...or just keeping the moss in check may be a solution. Nature may take care of it for you for a very natural tree life. So...sitting back to think and research is a good position to be taking.

Excellent trees. Both trees look “seasoned”. Mighty fine!

Top Bottom