Two Chinese elm shohin air-layered from mallsai - 7+ years later

Chuah

Shohin
Reaction score
My first post on the Nut forum was air-layering of a mallsai Chinese Elm into two shohin back in May 2013.
http://www.bonsainut.com/threads/mallsai-chinese-elm-into-two-shohins.11112/#post-141602

They have since grown nicely. One was trained as a sumo informal upright bonsai, the other a reclining style Lingnan Penjing by clip-and-grow; sort of like turning them into Danny DeVito and Arnold of the movie Twins. I displayed the sumo shohin as part of the Houston Bonsai Society 7 shohin group display at last year's Lone Star State show at Corpus Christi; to my surprised, it was singled out to receive the best deciduous award.

IMG_8153-003.JPG
IMG_8114-001.JPG

This is the original mallsai:

IMG_3062.JPG

Air-layering details and training of these two are in my old and new blogs:
https://bonsaipenjing.wordpress.com/2014/01/13/17/
https://bonsaipenjing.wordpress.com...ohin-chinese-elms-air-layered-from-a-mallsai/

markyscott

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
The twins are looking great, Hoe. Spring is early this year. All of those 80 degree January days, I guess.

Chuah

Shohin
Reaction score
The twins are looking great, Hoe. Spring is early this year. All of those 80 degree January days, I guess.
Yes, Scott. I am in a frenzy repotting my deciduous before the leaves are all out. One azalea, Duc de Rohan, is almost fully covered with flowers.

markyscott

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Yes, Scott. I am in a frenzy repotting my deciduous before the leaves are all out. One azalea, Duc de Rohan, is almost fully covered with flowers.

I'm hard at it too. Hot weather. Save one week, I haven't even needed to wear socks with my sandals this winter.

petegreg

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I love both. Looking at the second one and the original mallsai I can't believe it has almost all original bones. Hmm...

BunjaeKorea

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Awesome work! You saw the potential and grabbed it! Lovely trees

AlainK

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Excellent!
I'm impressed by how you turned a rather uninteresting tree into these beautiful bonsai. A special mention for the first one, love it.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Good thing we have a few woodworking threads!

You're gonna need an awards shelf!

Gotta echo Dirk's comment, what a fantastic transformation!

Well done!

Sorce

AlainK

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
All kinds of great movement. Superior technique!!

Great looking.......
lauren-bacall-gif.130605

Quite my taste :cool:

Top Bottom