Two chopped ficus July 2018

amcoffeegirl

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I bought 2 salicaria on eBay last year and chopped them down when they arrived.
I know I have posted on them before but cannot find the thread.
464188BC-1315-4171-B5EF-F5D00D6D22C5.jpeg

This is what they looked like at purchase and the chop.

Attachments

• 5BED3FA4-2A18-48BE-B487-F2C296B390A6.jpeg
    5BED3FA4-2A18-48BE-B487-F2C296B390A6.jpeg
    190.6 KB · Views: 39
  • 86244881-3A3E-49C1-B6F2-2915F50C9E3E.jpeg
    86244881-3A3E-49C1-B6F2-2915F50C9E3E.jpeg
    225.3 KB · Views: 34

amcoffeegirl

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Just defoliated to see the structure. They look pretty two dimensional but they have come a long way.
In other news I still wire like a 6 year old.
I was going to say a three year old but I am better than a three year old.
Gotta work on that.
When I started I did not want to wire my trees at all. After trying it and seeing the difference it can make then I appreciated why wiring is bonsai.
The why of things makes perfect sense to me now. I still have a lot to learn though.
I will not pretend to be more than I am. I am still a newbie at many things in bonsai. I have learned my species from the ground up though so when I do finally produce a tree of my own skill I will be very proud of it.

eryk2kartman

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
They going well, good work!
The bigger pot is really nice, i like a color a lot!

jason biggs

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
11a
they almost look like twins 👊👊
Question for you: Why the passion for ficus when you live in the arctic ??
shouldn't you focus your energy on spruce and fir species ...
only kidding.
These two trees are looking great.

amcoffeegirl

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
they almost look like twins 👊👊
Question for you: Why the passion for ficus when you live in the arctic ??
shouldn't you focus your energy on spruce and fir species ...
only kidding.
These two trees are looking great.
Well I live in an apartment so I have no outdoor space. I do have some outdoor space a few blocks away but it’s not the same as having a backyard garden.

There are several great things about ficus that I love. They can take a lot of abuse. You can work them pretty hard and they forgive you (most of the time)
The will continue to ramify even in a bonsai pot. They will grow under lights. They can be trained in any style.

If I could find another species to fit those requirements I would love to add it to my collection.
I just got 2 premna that I am going to play around with. 2 azalea this year. A Chinese elm which I will likely kill.
I would love to have a crabapple bonsai and a yew. I have tried junipers and been able to overwinter one year but not the next.
We will see what the future brings.
I have started about a dozen new trees cuttings a projects this summer.
Lol. They multiply easily.

Grovic

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Shown naked.
View attachment 249288
I did a little trimming after this shot.
If I can get another push of growth this year these might grow into nice little trees.
I stumbled upon your post while looking for ficus trunk chop posts, nice trees, do you have any recent pics? Mega-like goes to the small rectangle pot.

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
They are still alive but it is winter where I am. They never look good in winter.
Nope. I just have one willow leaf, but it always drops it's leaves inside for the winter. Last year it was June before it started growing again. I almost liberated it from it's pot. It must have sensed it's demise, because it started growing.

amcoffeegirl

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I kept these in an apartment for several years. It was always hot there- I had no control over the thermostat. My home is at 70 or 72. So I think they would like it warmer. They will be ok though. I will just water a little less since less leaves now.
4D56C7D6-44C1-4896-B8D4-F7306687E3B1.jpeg

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Yes, winter is rough. Even in a grow tent with high humidity and very bright lights, when every other ficus is growing my willow leafs just sit there stubbornly. I am not sure how they know what time of year it is.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Are you seeing a lot of growth under the fluorescents? I am thinking about adding one to my grow tent to supplement the LED's...

amcoffeegirl

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Are you seeing a lot of growth under the fluorescents? I am thinking about adding one to my grow tent to supplement the LED's...
Not too much- a leaf here and there. It is a bit too cold for them I think in the basement. The Burt Davyii is doing the best I think.

W3rk

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Shown naked.
View attachment 249288
I did a little trimming after this shot.
If I can get another push of growth this year these might grow into nice little trees.
I really like these, nice cut backs and progression. Just to the right on this photo I see some Ficus Pumila leaves =)

amcoffeegirl

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I really like these, nice cut backs and progression. Just to the right on this photo I see some Ficus Pumila leaves =)
You are correct! Unfortunately for me I just can’t keep them alive. I buy little greenhouse 2 inch pots and I have grown them for 8 months at the longest. The best time they have grown for me is in a terrarium. I guess I’m not keeping them damp enough.
I do enjoy all varieties of pumila.
Maybe I should try a more established plant but I’m nervous 😂
When I see pictures of actual bonsai I’m so impressed. I know in the right environment these can go crazy.

Top Bottom