Two collected elms I assumed were American but having doubts. Id help please.

Asymetrix

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Sorry for another elm ID thread but this one's interesting to me.

Collected these elms in the spring. I assumed they were Ulmus Americana or Ulmus Rubrum but the bark is drastically different.

It is light grey. Corky and fissured. They do not have any wings nor did they when I collected them. The larger of the two was much older than expected. Between 40-50 years of growth rings.20210828_182209.jpg

Both were near creek banks or bottoms. I live in southern Illinois near St. Louis.

I was reading about Ulmus Serotina or the September Elm which is endemic to Tennessee but has some small numbers in southern Illinois.

Any help or information appreciated. I realize elms can be hard to ID.

berzerkules

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
If no one here can get you a positive ID there are a handful of tree id fb groups that I've had success with.

Good luck getting an ID

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Well... American elm and September elm are "virtually identical" when it comes to leaf appearance. They both have double serrate leaves, which sets them apart from most other elm species. September elm, however, blooms in September (versus spring for American elm). Both are highly susceptible to Dutch elm disease, so they are less common in the wild than they once were. September elm is only rarely found outside of Tennessee.

ShadyStump

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I started a thread a while back for plant ID app reviews, and my preferred one- LeafSnap- came up with ulmus minor or parvifolia as top choices. Used both the leaf and bark settings, hence the discrepancy. They're main server also seems to be down, so who knows.

Mikecheck123

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Sorry for another elm ID thread but this one's interesting to me.

Collected these elms in the spring. I assumed they were Ulmus Americana or Ulmus Rubrum but the bark is drastically different.

It is light grey. Corky and fissured. They do not have any wings nor did they when I collected them. The larger of the two was much older than expected. Between 40-50 years of growth rings.View attachment 394592

Both were near creek banks or bottoms. I live in southern Illinois near St. Louis.

I was reading about Ulmus Serotina or the September Elm which is endemic to Tennessee but has some small numbers in southern Illinois.

Any help or information appreciated. I realize elms can be hard to ID.
Probably a Siberian elm.

Check out the middle right bark picture here:

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I started a thread a while back for plant ID app reviews, and my preferred one- LeafSnap- came up with ulmus minor or parvifolia as top choices. Used both the leaf and bark settings, hence the discrepancy. They're main server also seems to be down, so who knows.

Well... at least they got the genus right :)

ShadyStump

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Probably a Siberian elm.

SOOOO MANY of these around here, I'm pretty sure that's not it. The bark isn't right.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Definitely not an American Elm, and of theor leaves are so similar to Septelm, I'd rule that out too.

External forces can effect the look of bark, which may make it Siberian, but it seems more a hybrid Siberian.

Most important....does it matter?

Sorce

Asymetrix

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Its definitely not a Siberian elm. The leaves are 2-3 inches long on both of them.

I have 2 Siberians and both have leaves under 1 inch.

It matters to me yes. Only because I would want to represent the species as best I can.

External forces affecting the bark is understandable but there are other elms that are most definitely U. Americana in the same vicinity with the correct bark.

Asymetrix

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Probably a Siberian elm.

Leaves are 2-3 inches. I have 2 Siberians both have leaves under 1 inch.

Also one of these I literally dug out of the water a foot deep.

U. Pumila does not tolerate flood or lowland conditions.

Mikecheck123

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Leaves are 2-3 inches. I have 2 Siberians both have leaves under 1 inch.

Also one of these I literally dug out of the water a foot deep.

U. Pumila does not tolerate flood or lowland conditions.
3 inches is well within the normal range.

If it's not a pure Siberian, it's probably a hybrid with slippery elm.

I have one of those hybrids and it's been maddening trying to figure it out.

Top Bottom