Two Dancing Ladies

Arcto

Chumono
Reaction score
Green leaf Manzanita.

Arcto

Chumono
Reaction score
Both collected. What’s funny about all the Literati I’ve collected is that I never go looking for them. I was always looking for something completely different and just stumbled upon them.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Both collected. What’s funny about all the Literati I’ve collected is that I never go looking for them. I was always looking for something completely different and just stumbled upon them.

Imagine what you'd find if looking for nothing!

I love the "sideways" left pad of that Larch, it's ignorant and beautiful.

Sorce

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Wondering what elevation the Hemlock was collected at? The coloration seems to match a western hemlock that is more common at lower elevations. All the Mountain hemlock I have collected were above 4,000 ft and are much darker green in color! I suppose it could be condition or lighting that gives the yellower foliage effect! The growth habit, bark and foliage are all hemlock for sure!

Arcto

Chumono
Reaction score
Wondering what elevation the Hemlock was collected at? The coloration seems to match a western hemlock that is more common at lower elevations. All the Mountain hemlock I have collected were above 4,000 ft and are much darker green in color! I suppose it could be condition or lighting that gives the yellower foliage effect! The growth habit, bark and foliage are all hemlock for sure!
Approximately 5000’. I have also noticed a difference in color between the east Cascade Hemlock I’ve collected and the trees that come from Vancouver Is. One major difference is the soils they grow in. East Cascade trees grow in a volcanic pumice soil and a somewhat drier climate.

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Approximately 5000’. I have also noticed a difference in color between the east Cascade Hemlock I’ve collected and the trees that come from Vancouver Is. One major difference is the soils they grow in. East Cascade trees grow in a volcanic pumice soil and a somewhat drier climate.
One other variable is the amount of sun exposure. My Hemlocks all lighten up in more direct sun! However only the westerns in my collection take on the yellowish cast!
And all my trees are kept in volcanic pumice, but I do add a percentage of granite grit which is common to their native soil composition. Here is my Mountain Hemlock with a similar growth habit! Not wired and styled, just gaining health, after trunk bending and wiring.

Attachments

• IMG_0847.jpeg
    IMG_0847.jpeg
    161.2 KB · Views: 9
Top Bottom